Participate in the July 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Electric Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the July 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Electric Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 204 total)
  • Author
    shmu88
    Participant

Hi Andrew!

I was almost ready to post my video of 50s Rock & Blues – EP016 but i was struggling with some chord changes and reducing unwanted string noises, so I watched your performance in slow motion and realized that you “CHEATED” (just kidding) on the exact measures I was struggling with lol. On measures 7-8-9 you ignore the G string and it does make it easier to play without losing the overall feel/sound…so i guess I can do the same as you did? πŸ˜€

Thanks!

Sam

Andrew
    Keymaster

Of course you can LOL πŸ˜‚

malku2603
    Participant

Thanks, @Andrew for the tip. Working on it and will be back soon.😁😊

june2020

Aura Lee for this month’s challenge. I really concentrated on the timing of the notes for this one. Hopefully, I got it right this time.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@june2020 – Timing sounds perfect. Wonderful performance πŸ‘

deadbuggy
    Participant

Many many thanks to Andrew for the lesson and click track and @coffeemug for the encouragement. This may not get me into Andrew’s band, but it was really fun to learn this fantastic piece. And ye’ olde telecaster looks good on the video πŸ˜‰

capicdacrate

Here’s my submission of Aura Lee! I’m not great at audio recording, but I tried. Also, sorry if you hear a bird squad in the background, unfortunately she’s never quiet heh-

Also, no idea why it’s upside down, the video was right-side up? Oh well

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by capicdacrate.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by capicdacrate.
    june2020

Thanks so much! These monthly challenges have really helped me progress.

misterbones
    Participant

50s Rock & Blues. Real quick & dirty. Second take. Sometimes that happens to me too…

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Hello everyone!

Here is my entry for this contest, my take on “Aura Lee.” I hope that it’s okay and that my approach is okay.

Just want to say that some of the entries so far are so amazing! So many talented people on this site. Thank you for sharing. 😊

This recording took about 200,000,000 tries–and even though this is the best one–there are still mistakes.

Thank you for listening!

evapaju

Wow, @deadbuggy – it was fantastic!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@deadbuggy – BIG improvement in timing on the backing rhythm under solo! Well done πŸ‘

I’d focus your practice on getting those bluesy licks in-time. Play along with me in the tab player. That’ll be the best way to get tighter on those licks.

Rest was great! Theme 1 was excellent, as was your tone πŸ™‚

@capicdacrate
    – Great playing overall! I’m hearing a couple hesitations in the timing, such as holding beat 1 too long before connecting to 2 & in bars 2 and 6. Same thing with bars 9-12, you’re holding the half notes for longer durations. Try playing along with a metronome. That’ll help tighten timing in these sections.

@misterbones
    – Excellent performance! Great timing & feel throughout!

@potato_lady – Great performance and I dig the freestyle outro πŸ™‚

Timing was pretty solid overall and your understanding of rhythms is great, especially with the tricky syncopated hits on the &s. I do think you can get it a little bit tighter though. So I’d say, keep practicing with a metronome or with me in the tab player. Either option works.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@Andrew, thank you so much for your feedback! Step one for me: Get a metronome. 😁 That is probs the thing I have the most trouble with, is timing. Also, I’m realizing I have to get over the anxiety of hitting the “record” button.

This may be a dumb question, but even if my video has mistakes and such, and needs some improvements, does it still count as an entry in the contest? Also asking that for future reference, because I hope to continue joining in on these challenges! So much fun and such a great motivator for trying to learn and polish a complete song! Another thing I have trouble with.

Anyway, thank you!! πŸ™‚

deadbuggy
    Participant

Andrew, many thanks! I gotta say, the challenges this year have been so fun; I love having a monthly goal. Cheers!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@potato_lady – Yes, everyone who performs the entire piece gets an entry πŸ™‚

There are free metronome apps for your phone and websites that have free, interactive metronomes. Even google has a free metronome if you search ‘metronome’. I’d recommend to use one that plays a different chime for beat 1. Helps you to know where you’re at.

@deadbuggy
    – Glad to hear, Sara. I appreciate you participating in so many challenges! I always look forward to watching your performances πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 204 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.