Participate in the July 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Electric Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the July 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Electric Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 204 total)
  • Author
    robinboyd
    Participant

@potato_lady – NOBODY records a video without mistakes or some area that can be improved. That’s an impossible standard.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@Andrew, thank you so much for that! I’ll defs have to look that up.

Well, I found this one. The other ones were offensive to the ears. This one sounds “realistic”:

https://www.musicca.com/metronome

@robinboyd
    , you are correct about that! That seems like more of an existential issue. How much should anyone strive for perfection? I feel like if you never strive for it, you won’t ever even get close. But, you also can’t be afraid to make mistakes. I’m certainly not afraid of that, most of what I make are mistakes. πŸ˜‰ LOL

Well, actually that may not be true. I think I do get frustrated at my inability to reach perfection.

surferjay
    Participant

@potato_lady that was awesome! When I record I literally do one take then upload it (unless it goes really wrong). I’ve honestly found for learning this is the best way.. I realised my last upload my timing was out which someone pointed out.. I would never of improved this aspect if I’d gone for the perfect take …

Keep posting awesome take πŸ™‚

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, thank you kindly for that! That was definitely my best take of the ones I tried while recording. I just have a real problem, once I hit the “record” button, that’s when my performance anxiety flairs up beyond belief and I can’t play as well because I’m thinking about it too much. So, I feel like the recordings are not necessarily the best representation of how I play the songs. Not that I don’t make mistakes while playing off-camera. Not sure if that makes sense. It’s this issue I’m trying to get over when playing in front of other people, both when recording and in person.

But then I am relatively new to the uke and brand new to recording songs, so this all makes sense. Like the songs I shared here are my first recordings that I’ve shared with anyone. :O But hopefully sharing more will help me start to get over this anxiety I have when playing for others.

Annnnyyywwaaayyy, thank you for the encouragement! I’m so glad I decided to join in here. Hoping to maintain the patience and discipline and focus enough to improve my skills through this site! LOL.

Just want to say again that the other entries so far are incredible! My favorite is @deadbuggy because I dream of being B.A. enough to play a rock guitar like that. I just want to be cool, man! Okay, bye! LOL.

All the Aura Lee entries are lovely, and in particular @lyndallk and @madz_about_uke ‘s cover of “Crazy” are stunning.

Oh, and to also play Bach’s Toccata and Fugue as @Andrew does on the site. That is my hashtag life goal. Okay, really bye…

deadbuggy
    Participant

@potato_lady, thanks for the kind words; I strive to be a B.A. in all areas of my life πŸ™‚ Cheers!

ukukelley1
    Participant

Aura Lee was one of the first fingerstyle songs I learned, But I lack the low vocal range to sing Crazy, and lack the tech skills to manage backing tracks and the higher end pieces are above my playing skill level….. So Aura Lee. Since many others will be singing or doing the more challenging backing track work, I decided to throw a second instrument in to add a little something extra.

So, here is Aura Lee on a concert Moonbird uke, and right after that Aura Lee again on an Albright tenor double ocarina.

To stay in the habit:
    I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Sheryl

malku2603
    Participant

Hey guys, my progress on aura Lee so far…😁 enjoying this month’s challenge…πŸ˜ŠπŸ’œ

Andrew
    Keymaster

@ukukelley1 – Lovely playing, Sheryl. And wow! I have an ocarina and you play it so much better than me, lol. Love that instrument, it sounds so cool! How long have you been playing?

@malku2603
    – The “flick” strum is sounding great! Big improvement! Keep up the excellent work, Akansha πŸ™‚

ukukelley1
    Participant

Thanks Andrew. I played flute starting in middle school, so transverse fingering ocarinas come pretty easy (and take less air and arm strength — unless you count a hefty triple bass I have…). I also enjoy the English 4-hole ocs, which are finally becoming more intuitive for me. But these Albright doubles just amaze me — being able to play a duet alone — pretty cool design; a lot of music in a little wooden box. I just started playing the doubles (this 4th apart tuning and also some Langley unison tunings) over the last couple months. I like doing the simple arranging for the doubles.

Might be more intelligent to pick ONE instrument and try to advance beyond mediocre playing that way… but I’m having fun. πŸ™‚

rafaela
    Participant

I am a PREMIUM MEMBER.

Hi everyone!

This month I went for the 50s Rock & Blues, and I have to say that it is one of the songs I enjoyed the most learning and playing so far, it’s really really great! It gives me a similar feeling the song “Summertime” does, perfect for a bright summer day! (although the 36 degrees celsius we are reaching here in Germany today are a bit too high for my taste)

(This is only with 75% speed)

Thanks for listening, Rafaela πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by rafaela.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@rafaela – Bravo! Brilliant performance πŸ™‚

And TY so much for the kind words. I really appreciate it!

rafaela
    Participant

@Andrew Thank you so much! πŸ™‚

suekulele
    Participant

I am a PREMIUM MEMBER.

Aura Lee – what a classic

annemarie
    Participant

lynnzo
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMEBER
    This is my July entry of Aura Lee.
    Thank you for this choice of songs.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 204 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.