Home Page › Forums › Monthly Member Challenges › Participate in the July 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Electric Ukulele!
Tagged: 2022, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, Electric, Electric Ukulele, Flight, July Challen
- This topic has 204 replies, 79 voices, and was last updated 7 months, 1 week ago by The_Bumble_Bard.
June 30, 2022 at 1:10 pm #52473
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with site member challenge #64! WOW, there has now been over 3,400+ members participating in our challenges! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. 🙂
And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 5 RC101 Lessons:
1) “Aura Lee” a.k.a “Love Me Tender” by Elvis Presley * – A beautiful melody that serves as a wonderful intro into fingerstyle playing.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
2) 50s Rock & Blues – EP016 – Learn a 50s inspired chord progression that tastefully splices in blues licks. Plus, you’ll get to play ukulele alongside U-Bass and guitar.
Note: If you choose this song, you MUST perform to the backing track. The backing track requires premium membership to download it. Requires Low G ukulele.
3) “Crazy” by Patsy Cline * – An aching love song that’s become a standard in country music.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
Note: If you choose this song, you MUST sing and play. Requires Low G ukulele.
4) “Stairway to Heaven” by Led Zeppelin – An 8 minute opus compressed to just under 3. I tried to pull the best parts of the song and play them at least once throughout this arrangement.
Note: The solo at the end of the song is OPTIONAL.
5) “Danger Zone” by Kenny Loggins – Get ready to enter the danger zone in this full band adaption of the hit song from Top Gun.
Note: If you choose this song, you MUST perform to the backing track. The backing track requires premium membership to download it. The solo in the middle of the song is OPTIONAL.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race.
Recommended Piece: “Aura Lee”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Pieces: 50s Rock & Blues – EP016 [ADVANCED], “Crazy” [INTERMEDIATE], “Stairway to Heaven” [ADVANCED], OR “Danger Zone” [INTERMEDIATE]
3. Participation Goal: 50 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 5 RC101 pieces anytime between Friday, July 1st until Sunday, July 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD. This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing on August 5th. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
1) $395 Grand Prize! Choose 1 of the Following 5 Electric Ukuleles:
A) Flight Vanguard Transparent Purple Solid Body Electric Tenor Ukulele (includes gig bag)
B) Flight Vanguard Transparent Black Solid Body Electric Tenor Ukulele (includes gig bag)
C) Flight Rock Series Pathfinder Solid Body Electric Tenor Ukulele (includes gig bag)
D) Flight Rock Series Pathfinder Black Solid Body Electric Tenor Ukulele (includes gig bag)
E) Flight Rock Series Centurion Tenor Gold Top Electric Ukulele (includes gig bag)
THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
Let’s crush this challenge!June 30, 2022 at 2:26 pm #52478debb1985Participant
I learned/played Stairway to Heaven 2 years ago….might be time to revisit and see if I can finally do it justice! 😅 Love that song!June 30, 2022 at 3:25 pm #52483andracassParticipant
Wow!June 30, 2022 at 3:40 pm #52484
such cool prizes! What to do? I would love to do Crazy (voted for it in the last vote-off); but, I am NOT a singer. Who wouldn’t want to play Stairway to Heaven. Have glanced at it a couple of times, but I think it is beyond my skills. At this point the only absolute is No singing for me. what to do, what to do? Going to be a fun month 🙂June 30, 2022 at 5:39 pm #52492lyndallkParticipant
Ohhhh! Looking forward to July. Great songsJuly 2, 2022 at 6:12 pm #52601laurakarr12Participant
I Am A Premium Member
“Aura Lee” aka “Love Me Tender”
July 2, 2022 at 7:39 pm #52604poopsiesParticipant
Here’s my Aura Lee recording 🙂
I wish I had a low g so I could play Crazy, but maybe my lack of a low g is a blessing in disguise so I don’t have to hurt my ego trying to sing and play at the same time…July 3, 2022 at 11:38 am #52608
@andrew I am giving stairway to heaven a try (may have to give up and switch but hope not). Barring 2nd fret and fretting 7 is not happening for me G* at measure 20. Wonerdering if since it appears to me (I could be wrong) that that 7 fret (B) is the same as 2nd fret on the A, can this be played as barre fret 2nd on cea and mute the e string?July 3, 2022 at 1:40 pm #52609July 3, 2022 at 3:11 pm #52610clempekParticipant
sorry if there are a double post, but i can’t see my old post :
it’s my participation with Aura Lee.
passez une bonne journée 🙂July 3, 2022 at 5:31 pm #52611July 3, 2022 at 6:58 pm #52613lisadmhParticipant
@Andrew, in the video for Stairway to Heaven you teach a strumming outro to replace the solo, but it doesn’t seem to be notated. Do we have to do that? Or (sorry) but could it be notated? It’s simple but I can’t play it without seeing it. Thanks.July 3, 2022 at 6:59 pm #52614July 4, 2022 at 12:18 pm #52616
@laurakarr12 – Beautifully played! Happy 4th!!
@poopsies – Excellent performance! Check out this lesson for help with singing while playing 🙂
@clempek – Well done and I dig the rhythm changes you threw in for bars 9 and 10 🙂July 4, 2022 at 4:57 pm #52617qiuyanParticipant
I like Crazy too, but I cannot sing, with or without ukulele. In fact, it’s one of the reasons I found this site, while a lot of other online uke tutorials were for sing-along…
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.