Participate in the July 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Electric Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the July 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Electric Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 204 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 10 I hadn’t gotten to.

@mademoiselleannette
    – Beautifully played 🙂

@yukalele
    – Excellent job! Timing was great throughout and I noticed your left hand form is much better. I remember we talked about that some months back. It’s really cool to see you making strides there especially on a song that’s so chord heavy like this one. Keep up the great work and thank you for the complement. I appreciate it and I enjoyed watching your performance 🙂

Here’s everyone on page 11.

@kelsey91
    – Your performance sounded great! And that’s awesome to hear about the teaching opportunity! Have fun with your class and I appreciate the referrals 🙂

@concan
    – beautiful performance! Melody sounded great, and very cool to see you using the new strum technique. In the first half of the song, it was a little hard to hear the strum. Make sure you’re hitting the top strings loud enough with the index finger. But in the second half of the song, I heard the strum perfectly.

@patparr
    – That was awesome! And if I’m not mistaken, you’re the first one to tackle the solo! Very cool 🙂

Playing was great! One thing I’d work on is transitions. There’s a few transitions which have some hesitation. So I’d listened back and target your practice in these spots. For example, the first one is bar 2 into 3. You can hear a little pause here.

I’d also recommend tackling 4 or 8 bar sections at a time and playing to a click to strengthen timing.

So this song was an old arrangement of mine and some of the voicings seem to be overly olympic. The first half of bar 12 is a good example. If you ever find part of an arrangement difficult to play, see if you can figure out a workaround that’s easier to play, like this:

null

Same thing goes for that 0272 G chord (what was I thinking LOL). It’s so much easier to just play the stock G: 0232.

And please share the GnR song here. More folks will be able to see it there 🙂

@mark65536
    – That was awesome! Extremely well played, but hey I still get to nitpick, right??? LOL. Double check the first two hits of Bar 9, should be an octave interval. Double check second and third melody notes in bar 10.

In bar 14, the 2nd and 3rd notes (2 to 0 on A) are played a little slow. Try to sing the vocal line to match the timing. The rest of the verse was excellent. I really loved how you played this section.

Lastly, the first half of the solo was spot on. Second half is where I’d put the practice time in. It’s almost there though!

Overall, I was very impressed. Really look forward to watching more of your performances, Mark!

@maryjanew
    – Performance was lovely, MJ! Hope you had a great vacation 🙂

@themccoys
    – I think the hardest part of this arrangement is how you play it. Because the goal is to parlay the emotion of what the song is, which is a love song. And you did just that. Great flow and pace, great sustain, and great finesse. Very well done!

@cararozy
    – I thought you did a great job! Lovely playing 🙂

@omaon4
    – Beautiful performance! Just target that one measure that was a little difficult and it’ll be perfect 🙂

@sarahd
    – Beautiful playing and yes you made it just in time 🙂

@nelsonlin2021
    – Great performance! Watch out for rushing the eighth notes in bar 2 and 6. Try playing along with me in the tab player with the metronome activated.

And I think you have a great suggestion. But in the long run, it’ll be better for you if you don’t have to rely on visual cues. I’d recommend purchasing a copy of Transcribe. You can try it out for 30 days for free.

Here’s the download link for Windows.
    Here’s the download link for Mac.

This is an awesome program that is similar to the on-screen tab viewer on our site. Basically, it allows you to slow down and loop audio or video files. It even has a feature that tells you what notes and chords are played and surprisingly it’s very accurate!

You can drop the backing track into Transcribe, slow it down to whatever speed you need, and work on sections at a time. So what you want to do is play with Evan in our tab player. When you feel comfortable, switch to Transcribe and try without him.

dianna
    Participant

Here’s Crazy…..at the last possible moment! I’m a PREMIUM MEMBER if that matters
    O….maybe, I’m a few minutes late….are we going by east coast or west coast time🤪

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by dianna.
    seoulkim

Dear Andrew

Thank you very much for your comments especially linking the most helpful lessons for my paly.
    It was very helpful and I will keep in mind the lessons whenever I practice.

Thanks again and have a great August~.

yukalele
    Participant

Thank you for your feedback Andrew. Your comments before have certainly helped my left hand technique and I now find I’m able to tackle harder pieces badly!

Also, I am focusing on timing and getting through – ignoring mistakes. Is that a good, or is it better to sacrifice timing (and fun) for accuracy?

jfkasper
    Participant

Missed last nights 11:59 deadline but hear it is anyway. Still working on timing and a clean play through.

Question: Have all the videos posted here been downsized to 4 MB?

jfkasper
    Participant

Wasn’t quite sure how the posting worked. Now I get it.

patparr
    Participant

Thank you very much for your advice Andrew !

Because of you I am now a passionate of Ukulele, since 2 and a half years now.
    The way you teach is exactly my fit.
    Great job!!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@dianna – Great job! Yes, we are on EST. I tried to give everyone a friendly reminder yesterday.

@jfkasper
    – Great performance! Note clarity and timing was great! Just a little pause in one chord switch, but an easy fix 🙂

As for your question, our upload feature is intended for photos. Uploading to YouTube and sharing the link on the forum is the best way to post performances.

@yukalele
    – Yes, that’s the best way to play performances. If you record your performances, you can review them to assess the areas that need more practice time.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Wow! We had 74 members participate this month! Everyone did an awesome job and should feel super proud of their work this month!

So without further ado, the winner of our July Challenge is…

null

null

null

Our August Challenge is LIVE and the theme is: Original Music! Hope to see everyone in the new challenge: https://rockclass101.com/august-2022-challenge

leb397
    Participant

Congratulations @potato_lady !!!
    Everyone really were amazing. So enjoy watching other performer.
    Thanks Andrew. Fun month.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Oh, em, gee! Baaaaaaah! Thank you so, so, SO much!! I’m so excited! This text does not convey how excited I am. I was in the grocery store when I saw the email and felt like I was going to faint and cry, but thankfully I did neither, LOL. I just never win anything ever. And I can’t convey how happy, grateful, honored, and gobsmacked I am. Thank you, Andrew! 😀 :’D

I just want to say that everyone did such an incredible, incredible job that I feel almost guilty for winning, LOL. But……………………………………………….I still accept the win, in this too-over-the-top fashion.

Thank you again!!!!!!!!!!! 😀

*Implodes*

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Thank you kindly, @leb397! Much appreciated and agreed! Such fun to watch everyone’s take and all the different entries!

lhamilton
    Participant

Wow! Congratulations, @potato_lady! They’re beautiful ukes!

mark65536
    Participant

Thanks for the detailed feedback @Andrew, I’ll work on those bits.

Congratulations @potato_lady! Look forward to seeing your prize in future challenges.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@lhamilton thank you kindly! They really are beautiful! So excited to give one a whirligig, because I’ve never played an electric uke before! 😀

@mark65536
    , thank you so much! Hahaha, you will, maybe even in the next one if time allows. LOL.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 204 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.