Participate in the June 2017 Member Challenge – TV Themes Challenge ($400 Prize)

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2017 Member Challenge – TV Themes Challenge ($400 Prize)

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Sounds great Ed! I can definitely tell you put some work into this. Sorry to hear about your finger, hope it heals up soon.

ed_sanderson
    Participant

Thanks, Andrew. It’s not a bad cut, but it sure interferes with playing.

And thanks for these challenges. Nothing like appealing to my competitive spirit to get me practicing.

lyndallk
    Participant

Hi Andrew
    Hope you are recovering well. Thanks for the challenge, makes me work harder – and there is still work to be done. But this is where its up to now.

The quality of the video is pretty bad, but finally I figured out how to get it small enough to post.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by lyndallk.
    olphart
    Participant

Well, my thumb is much better. I wish I could say the same for my playing. It’s still pretty dismal, but I’ve run out of time and it just isn’t getting any better. I must be on a plateau or something. I did much better with In The Hall of the Mountain King
    Anyway, here it is:

nocnyptak

Hi Andrew

Hope you are getting better & better!

I was of great hope to learn Games of Thrones theme and I am still working hard on it – but I am really far from smooth transitions between certain bars + higher frets Hammer on just does not work for me at all… Obviously quality tenor uke would help here 🙂

Meanwhile I will enter this month challenge with Spongebob Squarepants theme because I am running out of time now… I know it is far from perfect but I find it really hard to record whole run played smoothly.

I really enjoy both challenges. Thanks very much!

All the best to all 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

Wow Lyndall! Fantastic playing! Please send me a copy of the video, I’d be happy to host a higher-quality version for you. [email protected]

Hey James, glad to hear your thumb is doing better. Don’t get frustrated about this song, it’s very tricky because of the rhythm. How did you approach practicing this song?

Next month’s challenge will be a great one for you. It’s going to be a beginner themed challenge, and with that said, I’d like you to approach it with this goal in mind: To play the entire piece cleanly and at a steady tempo.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Margo (nocnyptak), here is a short video with some help on increasing left hand reach. And by the way, great job, I enjoyed your performance 🙂

And thank you to everyone who has wished me well, I really appreciate it!

olphart
    Participant

Thanks for the encouragement Andrew. I think I’m just temporarily stuck on a plateau.
    I took pairs of bars and repeated them over and over til they sounded right, then went on to the next. By the time I got back to the first set I was back to square one… It got so that I could play individual parts just fine, but when it came to putting them together, making the transitions was difficult. That chorus, for some reason was a huge challenge. I never did get it close to right until I left out the extra notes and even then…
    I started to make a little progress when I began to memorize the whole thing like I did with the Mountain King but by then it was too late.

I think I may have shot myself in the foot as well by flipping back and forth between the bari and the tenor…my fingers kept getting confused LOL

What bothers me is the amount of time I spent practicing vs the progress made. It looks like I spent very little on it, but I did practice at least a half hour a day most days, sometimes more.

Andrew
    Keymaster

James, one suggestion would be to practice the transitions. In a previous video (embedded below), I showed how you can practice the tail end of one bar and the beginning of another (and loop it). This video shows bar 5 to 6. One of the sections I noticed that would be good for you to work on is bars 4 to 5. Try to apply this concept to every transitional bar that you need extra work on. It will definitely make a difference.

freeclmr

Pardon the mistakes….The theme to Game of Thrones was definitely a challenge.

connie
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

This is my first month in Rock Class 101 and you are filling in a ton of gaps for me! I’m just starting Module 4 of the Beginner Course.

Focusing on Sponge Bob this month was really cool. It exposed some areas that I didn’t know I needed to work on, like finger reach. I have a tenor that I normally play, but I had to switch over to the soprano to complete this song all the way through. I wonder if the tenor is too big for me or if can eventually expand my reach enough. It sounds nice for basic chords, but this song really stretched beyond my reach in a couple places!

Thanks for the challenge! I’m glad you said slow and steady wins the race. I definitely have the slow part down after many hours of working on this.

Thanks Uke Republic for sponsoring the challenge! You are helping us all become better Uke players with the extra motivation.

Cheers,
    Connie

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by connie.
    connie
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

My video was too big to upload. 😳 Just emailed it to you.

Cheers,
    Connie

cyberloh
    Participant

Hi, Andrew, this is my submission.

I’m certainly not happy with this video but time is up. Hopefully I’ll be able to come out with a better one in the next challenge.
    Your comments are highly appreciated.

connie
    Participant

Apparently, this is my first uploading videos rodeo. Hahah.

My playing is slow and timing is not quite 100% perfect. However, I put a lot of time and effort into learning it and am thrilled with how far I’ve come this month by focusing on a challenging song (for me). It gave me the perfect opportunity to practice many of the skills from your Beginner course.

Watching my video recordings along the way also showed me mistakes that I didn’t know I was making.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by connie. Reason: Adding link
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by connie.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by connie. Reason: Added context
    connie
    Participant

Bravo, Jakeypoo!!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.