Participate in the June 2017 Member Challenge – TV Themes Challenge ($400 Prize)

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2017 Member Challenge – TV Themes Challenge ($400 Prize)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Participant

https://youtu.be/C6cpJwLgstw Here’s the link for the video. Is this all I need to do to to participate in the challenge? Sorry I’m not sure this is my first month on the site.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Wow guys! Love seeing the videos coming in 🙂

fedindark – great job! I’d recommend to take 4 bars at a time and practice to a metronome. Start slow and focus on timing and the clarity of the notes. Breaking it into sections will help you get it down faster and easier.

kkarson19 – nice job! Keep up the good work!

kate_le – lovely 🙂 Keep up the good work!

ddonaldson – good job! Just like fedindark, I’d recommend on focusing on a few sections at a time. It sounds like you may have missed a few notes here and there, this will help you get it down a bit cleaner.

jakeypoo – great job figuring out the last part! I’d recommend the same as above, but also check out this lesson on proper practice. It will help clarify some of the suggestions 🙂

brettboy – I loved your feel! The song works so well with a relaxed feel. Watch that thumb though, as it popped out a couple times.

twizzler – great job Joe! Just like fedindark, I’d recommend on focusing on a few sections at a time. Watch your timing too, as some sections weren’t played correctly and this may be due to your speed.

740674 – Yes, this is all you need to submit/do for the challenge. Nice playing, as I’ve recommended above for others, I’d suggest to focus on a few bars at a time and master them before moving on. It’s always best to tackle songs piece by piece.

eduthinh
    Participant

Here is my rendition of Game of Thrones! I’ve been working hard on this, but it’s still not perfect. Love this arrangement, Andrew!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Great playing eduthinh! I do have one suggestion for you, I would work on your touch. In other words, you have a strong attack for strumming and fingerpicking. Try to lighten it up a little bit and you’ll notice the tone you produce will be sweeter to the ear. Let me know how it goes.

kayleighb

Here is my entry for the June challenge; This is the first song I have ever played on the uke, and so I have tried really really hard to get up to 50% speed. It’s not perfect, but as a complete beginner I’m okay with that. I know I have a lot to work on, including using my other fingers for fingerpicking and not just my thumb!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by kayleighb.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Wow Kay! Great timing throughout! This is what it’s all about: It doesn’t matter how fast you go, it’s about playing cleanly, with the correct feel, and at a steady tempo. I do have a couple suggestions for you, I’d loop bar 7 to practice it, as it’s pretty tricky. In the Outro, you want to watch your timing on that section as you sped up quite a bit compared to the rest of the performance. But again, that’s a tricky section because of the rhythm. You did very well, keep up the good work 🙂

kayleighb

Thanks Andrew. Bar 7 has been a real stumbling block for me, just haven’t quite been able to get it, but that was my best attempt at it yet. Have learned most of it by looping, just that one bar! It will come in time and I have thoroughly enjoyed the challenge 🌝

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by kayleighb.
    lukechungg

Spongebob Theme Song. Hope you enjoy.

-Luke

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by lukechungg.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Good job Luke! Right hand technique looks great! I would recommend to slow down a bit, so you can clean up some of the parts. Also watch out for bar 7, as you were playing the wrong frets. Keep up the good work!

lukechungg

Thank you for the advice. Your class is amazing!!!

cornishdpt
    Participant

I hope that you are able to copy and paste this because I’m having problems turning it into a link.

This is my first month as a member and I just have to say WOW! I starting teaching myself the uke 5 months ago and when I saw this challenge, I thought there was no way I could even learn the beginning song because it was intimidating to me. After thinking for a few days, I decided to just go for it and surprised myself. So thank you Andrew for the challenge. As you can see from the video, I am a lefty learning to play on a righty uke since a lefty uke costs 4 times as much and it is impossible for me to strum with my right hand. I figured I could reverse the tabs and chords in my head. Maybe I’m crazy, but I have been loving what I learned so far. Will keep practicing the next few days and will try to post a better version before the deadline.

Cory

honuhonu
    Participant

Not a thing of beauty but getting better slowly. Sometimes, life has a habit of getting in the way.

Thanks again Andrew.

Honuhonu

olphart

Found a new way to hammer on! …using a real hammer applied to my left thumb! OUCH! It makes my left hand work kinda hurtful, to say nothing of the quality of the playing…. that’s my excuse and I’m gonna stick to it.
    Actually finding this one harder to get right than the Mountain King.

Video coming soon. I’ll give the thumb another day to heal then go for it.

Andrew
    Keymaster

cornishdpt – Wow Cory, that’s a trip to watch! My first thought is that you reminded me of Doyle Bramhall II, since he too plays like you 🙂 I think you’re doing an excellent job! I would suggest to go back and work on some of the harder parts and slow them down and loop them, so you can practice on cleaning them up a bit. But you’re definitely on the right path, keep it up!

honuhonu – Hi Francis, it sounds like you just started working on it. What’s great is that you have the foundation laid, so now you just need to work on fine tuning it. Split it into four bar sections and tackle that before moving on. Keep up the good work, I can relate to how life gets in the way at times 🙂

ed_sanderson
    Participant

I’m glad I recorded this, last week. I’ve come a ways since then, but I cut my right index finger, today 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.