Participate in the June 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 189 total)
  • Author
    morrieuke1
    Participant

Thanks for the great mini-lesson Matt, I enjoyed exploring “the bookends” of my playing, while keeping tempo, tone, and tuning in check. Great lesson! Mike

leb397
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
    Nice to see another entry for Dynamics 008 @morrieuke1- – nicely done. I struggled with this one and spent almost the whole month working on it. I’m not sure why I stress or picked a more advanced piece but I loved the groove beat. I played this on my tenor and the low G made a lot of noise sliding, not sure how you avoid that.
    So many good entries but I’m not alone with these sentiments. Good luck everyone!

ukukelley1
    Participant

My attempt at One Finger Etude.
    I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by ukukelley1. Reason: corrected video link
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@gstriph – Melody A and the the triplet strum were very well played, Jerry! Sounds like Melody B needs just a little more practice to smooth out. Overall, it was great!

@moonshoes
    – One Finger Etude was beautiful played! I actually wrote it on baritone, so I agree with you! The deepness of that instrument pairs well with the piece.

The strumming piece sounds great too! I asked Matt to review your form and he recommends you “turn your [index] nail towards the strings and try to strike parallel to the 14th fret.”

Check out Matt’s intro to strumming lesson here. It’ll provide more clarity to see the exactly how he strums.

@morrieuke1
    – Excellent job showcasing all 3 dynamic changes and bravo on keeping a rock-solid tempo!

P.S. Don’t forget the premium tag 😉

@leb397
    – Well done, Louisa! All 3 dynamic changes were showcased very well! As for the string noise, if you have a wound low G, then it’s unavoidable. The only way to get rid of it is to swap it for an unwound.

The only thing I’d suggest working on is cleaning up the chord work. I’m not hearing each note ring, mainly the C string. Try to widen the arch of your ring finger so it’s not touching the C string (which mutes it).

@ukukelley1
    – Beautifully played, Sheryl! Triplet strums sounded wonderful. You have excellent technique.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, that was flippin’ amazing! I feel like you really nailed the groove of that song super well and all the techniques involved, but @Andrew had great suggestions as always, of course. Still really, really great! I felt the same intense struggle last month trying Funk Jam because that song was beyond me and I still am working on it. 😂 Anyway, lovely work! 😊

@morrieuke1
    , you also did a great job with that song!!

Everyone else has done an amazing job, too! 😊

moonshoes
    Participant

Thanks @Andrew (and Matt)! I’ll definitely take a look at the lesson 🙂

morrieuke1
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback Andrew, and yes
    I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER ~Mike

bibilele
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I tried the Rhythmic Blues. I had much fun learning the song but I’m still too slow. But I could record at my favorite lake. 🙂

karenj
    Participant

Here’s my June Challenge submission of Fingerpicking & Strumming Dynamics. I don’t think the chunking was as effective as I intended. But it was fun to learn more about dynamics and the other mini-lessons too. Thanks again to all at Rock Class 101!

rgillof
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

So I am playing Harmonizing Chords. After practicing this all month, I am not satisfied with my messy chord transitions particularly in hitting the first note in each pick. I think I can get it with more practice. Looking forward to any and all critiques. Thanks.

leb397
    Participant

@Andrew thank you for the positive feedback, as always. I did not know that about the wound string on my low G, now I do! Cleaning up the cord work is probably my #1 nemesis but chucking is a close 2nd. It’s funny, not sure if I’m alone with this but when I chuck, I hesitate or don’t “commit” to it like I’m … I don’t know, just need to push through it. Believe me I’ve practiced and will continue but just a weird issue to overcome 8)

@the_bumble_bard
    many thanks for your encouragement and kind words. RC101 is a great community for building confidence.
    Well another challenge is wrapping up. Congrats to all for just getting in an entry!!! It’s not easy and we share the same struggles. Thank you RC101 Louisa

Andrew
    Keymaster

@bibilele – I like the tempo you’re at, Bianca! You played it with such great feel, it was very enjoyable to listen to 🙂

@karenj
    – Wonderfully played, Karen! You showcased all 3 dynamic changes perfectly! My only suggestion is to keep the tempo steady going into that last section (cresc./decresc.).

@rgillof
    – Can I be honest with you? That was beautifully played. I don’t read what folks write until after I watch/listen so I’m not influenced when listening. After I watched, I read what you wrote and re-watched it. I’d have to be really nitpicking to say there were a couple starting notes that didn’t ring as loudly as I’d like. But that’s pushing it.

I think you’re probably in the same headspace I’m in after I practice a lot and go to record. Often times, I’m too deep into how I think it sounds. So when I listen back I automatically say “that’s bad.” Luckily, I’ve had the benefit of recording hundreds of performances and that experience has taught me to send it to a friend for fresh-ear feedback. And more times than not, they say “dude, it sounds good.” 🙂

abster
    Participant

@bebilele so good.. enjoyed it

abster
    Participant

@The_Bumble_Bard
    Thank you so much for your encouragement

bibilele
    Participant

@andrew and @abster, thank you so much for the encouragement! 😊

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 189 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.