Participate in the March 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Classical Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Classical Ukulele!

• This topic has 180 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by dianna.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    clempek
    Participant

Hey,
    It’s my participation with Swan Lac.
    I still can’t put the intensity that is found in many performances of the rock class members ….

Bonne journée !

jgillard
    Participant

@rafaela – Excellent job on Adelita. Sounded great!

@shmu88
    – Nice vibrato. I thought you played this very well.

@terryfallon3
    – Your rendetion was fine! 🙂 The only tip I would suggest is to try and not cut the notes quite so short. It sounded a bit staccato to me.. But maybe it’s supposed to sound that way? I’m no expert.

@ccwuke
    – Great job on a tough tune. The added reverb I think works well on this song.

@mark1256
    – Nice job. The only tip I would have is to try and relax. The music sounded great to me.

@jody_hendrickson
    – Nice performance. I would try and accent the melody notes a touch more. (Just a minor point) Sounds awesome!

@clempek
    – Awesome job. It sounded great to me. You were a touch staccato at the beginning, but once you relaxed a bit it smoothed out. Your intensity seemed fine to me.

jgillard
    Participant

Here is my imperfect Adelita. This one definitely needs some work, but I thought I would post my current progress anyways. Thanks for watching! 🙂

rafaela
    Participant

@gi_gi_ Thank you so much! And yes, especially the second part definitely looked easier on the tabs than it was playing it haha 😅

@jgillard
    Ooh thanks! 😊 But your performance was also already sounding very good, and it looks so effortless and “unlaboured” when you play 😍
    By the way, only if you don’t mind me asking, is that a Rebel ukulele you have? Because my normal (not low-G uke) is a Rebel and my absolute favourite – your uke looks pretty similar, that’s why I’m asking

jgillard
    Participant

By the way, only if you don’t mind me asking, is that a Rebel ukulele you have?

Yes. This is the rebel double creme concert matte finish. I liked it so much I bought another one recently.. I also have a rebel double creme gloss concert. (You can see that one from something I posted last month) That way I can have both high and low-g with the same profile. They are my favorite ukuleles and not my most $$ either. They sound amazing and I love the neck profile / playability.

But your performance was also already sounding very good, and it looks so effortless and “unlaboured” when you play

Thanks. I try and play without tension if I can. It’s harder when you don’t know the song well enough yet..

joe150
    Participant

March Challenge

gi_gi_
    Participant

Here is Adelita. Will continue to work on her. It´s a very intricate piece right from the first notes lol. Compliments to everyone this month. Great entries.

March 19, 2023

Steven
    Participant

@rafaela – Wow! That sounded great. This is a very challenging piece and I think your rendition had a lovely flow and feel to it. You highlighted the melody beautifully throughout. I can’t play this one without thinking too hard either so I wouldn’t worry about it! Great job!

@shmu88 – Absolutely fantastic performance! Your rest stroke technique looks and sounds really good. Nice clean, consistent notes throughout and you handled those left hand shifts up and down the neck really well too. I also really enjoyed your tasteful use of vibrato. You nailed it!

@terryfallon3 – Good job! I think that’s coming along nicely. Your rest stroke picking technique looks relaxed and sounds good. The notes have a nice punch to them. I respect your discipline to stick with this technique until you feel comfortable with it. One tip to work on is to try and alternate between the index and middle fingers as much as possible on your picking hand. Other than that, keep up the good work.

@ccwuke – Really nice, relaxed feeling performance! I think this is coming along really nicely. Your melody notes really shine, especially in the A melody section and you achieve that legato sound exceptionally well. Loved the sound quality of your recording too. Great work!

@mark1256 – Great job! I think you’re getting the rest stroke down too! Your picking hand looks nice and relaxed and your technique looks good, producing nice clean, punchy notes. Try to have the discipline to alternate between the index and middle fingers as I noticed you tend to prefer picking with the index finger and ‘repeat’ this finger quite a lot in some sections. It won’t make much difference to the overall sound but it will help reduce tension building in your fingers as you play.

@jody_hendrickson – Stunning performance! You captured the haunting beauty of this piece really well with your excellent sustain and smooth, consistent picking. I think you highlighted the melody really nicely too. Really great job!

@clempek – I think that was a great performance! Your rest stroke technique looks really good. The notes sounded consistent all the way through and you have mastered the alternate picking approach. I was impressed by how smooth your left hand movement up and down the neck was at this faster tempo too. Great work!

@joe150 – I think this is coming along nicely. Well done for getting all the way through it. If you have the time I would recommend trying to memorise the music as this will help smooth out some of those pauses as you change chords. That will just help it all flow a bit better. If you want to challenge yourself further try to accent those melody notes a little more too.

@gi_gi – Your performance had a lovely feel to it. Your use of dynamics and rubato was excellent throughout. As such you were able to convey a lot of emotion in your performance. I loved it! I think you did the right thing to play it at a slightly slower tempo too. Great job!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@marianne – I would run the same exercise I recommended for Sarah in this post. But use H/O and P/O technique with it and switch up the fingering patterns (non-linear).

@jgillard
    – Pacing and flow is spot on with Study in Bm! Excellent start to Adelita! Keep up the great work!

mark1256
    Participant

Thanks @stephen. I looked back at my performance. I didn’t realize how often I used the index. I’ll work on that.

marianne
    Participant

Thanks @Andrew!

gi_gi_
    Participant

@Stephen Thank you so very much. Your kind words really brightened my day. Thanks.

rafaela
    Participant

@Steven Thank you so much for your feedback! It took me a while to find the right balance, so I am glad one can hear the distinction between melody and “accompaniment” 😊

@jgillard
    Oooh that’s so cool! I too have the double creme matte one, and like you said, the playability is amazing, plus I didn’t have so much trouble with barre chords anymore…I remember that I immediately fell in love with it when I played it for the first time 😍 I am curious, though, how the gloss finish changes its sound, I’d really like to try it 😊 So you put your low-G string on the one with the gloss finish, right?

jgillard
    Participant

So you put your low-G string on the one with the gloss finish, right?

Low G on the Matte Finish one.

I am curious, though, how the gloss finish changes its sound

Probably not a whole lot. 🙂 They sound similar to me. The feel is a bit different (as the neck is gloss) but I like them both equally.

leb397
    Participant

This is a second entry (doesn’t count). I wanted to get through the Classical course and The Study in Bm was a real challenge for me with the small cord movements. I also made a mistake using a different fingering in measure 8 & 13 (D7) and when I went back to try to unlearn it – yikes – it messed with my head!
    I have to give kudos to those that played Adelita – just wow. Well done.
    Thanks again Steven for a great course and Andrew mixing up the music in these challenges.

So here is Study in Bm – far from perfect but had to try.
    Louisa

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 178 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.