Participate in the March 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Classical Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Classical Ukulele!

• This topic has 180 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by dianna.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 178 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@lhamilton – Beautifully played, Linda! Great pacing and feel throughout. I think your thumb work-around was a smart idea! That bar is tough as it requires an index barre followed by another barre with the middle!

marianne
    Participant

Thank you so much @Andrew and @gi_gi_ ☺️

lhamilton
    Participant

Wow! Thanks, Andrew!

lhamilton
    Participant

Thanks, @gi_gi_

Steven
    Participant

@marianne – Wow! That was awesome! I think you should be very proud of that performance. I especially loved your use of rubato in measure 4 – it sounded incredible! As you say, that tone and expression you are striving for will come with practice but you are definitely on your way to mastering this beautiful piece. It’s definitely worth trying to play those pull-offs in measures 1 and 2 as that will help give the melody that all important legato sound. Other than that just keep doing what you’re doing! Great work!

marianne
    Participant

Thanks a lot @Steven! Appreciate your feedback and I strive for full control one day! You are very inspiring.
    Totally agree on the pull-offs on 11 and 12. Haha for now I thought to ‘forget’ the second one for recording purposes until I master it, because at that point in time I was butchering it…
    Barred chord + Pull off = another level of difficult, haha. Will work on making it sound ‘decent’ though! Besides incessant practice, is there a specific trick to focus on to try to make it ring easier? or a strengthening exercise for the pinky? I find the pinky very weak πŸ™‚

rafaela
    Participant

Hi everyone,

when you guys announced that you’d be releasing a classical style course, I was stoked right away! I find classical pieces sound so beautiful on the ukulele – which, to be honest, surprised me at first, as I didn’t expect them to fit together…but oh, they definitely do!!

This month, I tried my hand at “Adelita”: such a beautiful piece, but also so hard haha πŸ˜… I did my best, but I still feel very “unsteady” whilst playing it, and I haven’t reached the point yet where I can play it without thinking too much and just enjoy the song.
    Also, this time I needed WAY TOO MANY attempts until I had a recording that was okay. πŸ™ƒ Every time something else went wrong and instead of getting better I felt it was getting worse, I really struggled a lot. But here it is, finally, I hope it is fine πŸ™‚

Thanks for listening, Rafaela 😊

jgillard
    Participant

Beautifully played! The only thing I’d do diff is put more emphasis on the rit. at the end of bar and 8, as well as, the end of the song.

@hardel
    , I did not even realize there was supposed to be a ritando in bar 8! πŸ™‚ I’ll definitely repost this one soon. Thanks for the tips!

jgillard
    Participant

Here is my second try of “Study in B Minor”. πŸ™‚

gi_gi_
    Participant

@rafaela I loved that. What a good job. I agree with you that song is difficult πŸ™‚

shmu88
    Participant

Here’s my try at Swan Lake!
    cheers

Sam

terryfallon3
    Participant

Hey All,
    Happy St. Pat’s. It’s a rite of Spring, so be hopeful.

Steven, I’m working on the Classical Techniques and am waiting to go forward but figured I’d best capture the rest stroke before I went on. Enjoying something I’ve been curious about for years. Classical technique, although I realize this is just the start.

The lesson is brill! My rendition not so.

ccwuke
    Participant

Here’s my performance of Adelita. Lots to work on to improve this piece, but this was definitely my best take. Love playing classical on the ukulele! Thanks for the arrangement and lesson.

Lots of talk of performance and recording anxiety. Trust me it does get a better over time, but I guess will probably never go away! Never thought I could perform ok in public but the other weekend I played ukulele, uke bass and guitar with our band at a band open mic, and the nerves were there but manageable. It was our 3rd ‘gig’. Recording most months for this forum have helped a lot!

Chris

mark1256
    Participant

Here is Swan Lake. Needs some work but I think I am getting the rest stroke down. Anxious to get on to the next lesson.

jody_hendrickson
    Participant

Hi everyone-

Here is my take on Study in B Minor. Huge thanks to Steven for the Classical Technique and Style course, the thorough descriptions and attention to detail are so helpful.

Thanks for everyone for your posts, each and every one inspires me to keep at it.

Best,
    Jody

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 178 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.