Participate in the May 2017 Member Challenge – Classical Ukulele Challenge

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2017 Member Challenge – Classical Ukulele Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    philrab66
    Participant

Recorded this a while back seems ok to share maybe a bit fast (that’s a first )

philrab66
    Participant

I have really enjoyed the challenge. It has been nice to see others efforts I understand all your frustrations. One of the things I have learnt is the importance of timing. It is so frustrating not to be able to play the piece at the correct speed everybody wants to play fast straight away. But you must play it in time even if it is slow and build up . It does not sound good if you speed up at the easy bits and fumble through the hard bits. I have also found I can play almost anything on the lower frets as I have mainly stayed there for years.
    Has anybody else got any tips or suggestions you have learnt through the challenges​.
    Phil

olphart

Oops,
    I meant to say open G string in GCEA tuning not open D in DCEA tuning..8^)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by olphart.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by olphart.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Great job on Canon Emily, I enjoyed watching your performance 🙂 One helpful tip, when you are making chords watch out for applying too much pressure. If you notice at 1:19 you are pulling that major chords third string down, which will make it sound a bit sharp.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hey Phil, timing is the hardest for me too. It’s almost a natural feeling to want to increase gradually in speed as you play. This is especially true for solo performances. It’s much easier to play in time along with a drummer (seeing as he/she has great timing, lol). A metronome is always your best friend, that’s my 2 cents 😉

krasimirka55
    Participant

Here is my take on Hall Of the Mountain King.

carrie
    Participant

Hi there, here is my entry with Ode to Joy. I am still pretty new to uke. I think I am getting a little ahead of the beat and rushed so I am still working on that with a metronome. Unfortunately, I am going to be very busy over the next week and didn’t want to miss getting a recording up so I just went for it. If I can manage to squeeze in a bit more time, I’ll try to post another. Also, I have to say I have no idea why my right pinkie ended up like that…I normally don’t play that way but with this song it seems to want to anchor my hand. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

joeyjoey249
    Participant

Here’s my entry:

michaeluke63

Not sure if this video is ok. Great course, thanks.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Great playing guys! Carrie, no worries on anchoring, I know a lot of great players that prefer that way 🙂

Couple tips for Joey: I would highly recommend to sit up and adjust how you hold the ukulele, it will make playing much easier 🙂 Here is a great write up with some tips and pics from our beginner’s course. Also, I would suggest to slow down a little bit and watch your timing. Again, great job to all!

joeyjoey249
    Participant

Thank you for the great tips Andrew! I’ll try to put them into practice!

lisadmh
    Participant

Here’s my submission of In the Hall of the Mountain King. I’m super excited that I found a friend to do the harmony with me in a duet. I can play faster than this, but we decided to keep it slow for a clean, easy recording.

I don’t have enough frets to play melody 4, so I do 1-2-3-2-5.

Thanks for this contest Andrew. Super fun, and it pushed me to clean up a song more than I usually would.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss0mMIg50C8”

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by lisadmh.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by lisadmh.
    kate_le

Here is my boyfriend and I playing Ode to Joy with our curious kitty making her cameo too.

edward
    Participant

Here is my attempt at the uke challenge: my interpretation of “In the Hall of the Mountain King.”

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by edward. Reason: formatting
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by edward.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by edward.
    awiealissa
    Participant

Hi,

this is my try on “Ode to joy”! It was a lot of fun to learn.

Alissa

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.