Participate in the May 2020 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2020 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 333 total)
  • Author
    gardn_gnome
    Participant

Hi All.

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

Thank you, Andrew, for introducing us to Tobias Elof’s music – I really enjoyed listening to his albums this month. I loved practicing the simple melody from Out in the North … in fact I loved it so much I forgot to practice the chord version for the submission. So … as usual … sorry about not doing this song justice but I did enjoy it and will continue to polish it in the months to come.

–kim

timolnz
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER. Here is my attempt at Malaguena…. its been a Real challenge for me learning and this is the only recording (of many) i got fully thru (mistakes and all) without stopping and time is getting tight. Great to hear everyones recordings, very inspiring….Tim

baileysr
    Participant

I am a premium member, submitting Out of the North. I started playing the ukulele two months ago, and joined Rock Class 101 six weeks ago. This song still needs a lot a work, but the challenge has kept me working, particular on the right hand were my weakness is greatest.

joannetala

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

HI!
    What a treat to see Tobias Elof joining the team. I’ve seen him perform on The Ukelele Review site playing this number as well.
    I did practice as much as I could although you may not really deduce that from the result 😉 … so here’s my attempt playing “Erindring / Out in the North”.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by joannetala.
    emiliano
    Participant

What a fun month, it took me a lot of practice to get it to be able to play this month piece, still a lot of mistakes to improve but was really fun to try.

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

kirpuff
    Participant

At the buzzer as usual! Mistakes and all 😀 Fun piece though!

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

andyrose
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

This is my first song using hammer-ons and pull-offs, which I found pretty challenging. I did check out the tutorials by Matt and Andrew, which are very useful – a lot more practice needed.
    The right-hand technique from Tobias is fantastic, but way beyond my skill level!
    Playing from memory, it seems I added an extra repeat of bars 19-20. Please accept that as “interpretation”. 🤣
    Andy

Andrew
    Keymaster

@baileysr – Can you upload your video to YouTube and share the link. Our upload feature is for photos only.

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 18:

amandali – Great job on this one! You are doing a superb job with the technique and the whole piece sounds amazing! To make it even better, make sure that the melody note on the 2nd chord of measure 2 is louder than the rest of the chord. Your ukulele has a tendency to project lower pitches louder, so make sure that the A string is strummed just a tiny bit harder than the other strings in this spot. Other than this, you’ve got it! Great job on this one!

marygrace – You’ve got the mechanics down, and you are doing a great job! Now it’s time to gradually speed the tempo up and measure your progress using a metronome or the tab player. Keep up the great work!

mljordan3 – You are doing a wonderful job on Melody A, and you are very close on Melody B! Double check the rhythm in the first two measures of Melody B, and keep working to get the notes in this section to be as memorized as Melody A. You’re doing great, keep it up!

b_ukes_101 – You are strumming great! Now it’s time to go back in at a slower tempo and work on the timing. This piece requires a lot of counting and listening to the rhythm until it’s memorized to play effectively. If you are struggling with understanding rhythms, try going through the rhythm portion of the beginners course. You can also play along with the tab player at 50% speed and work up to full speed slowly. You’re off to a great start!

ccwuke – Great job on a challenging piece! With Meldoy B, it’s just a matter of getting those chord shifts memorized. I recommend playing this part 4 measures at a time at a slightly slower tempo to work on these shifts. Once they start to become muscle memory, you will be able to think ahead while playing them so that you’re prepared for the next chord in time. Keep up the great work!

bzediver – Well said, the current events make it hard to focus on much else with the racial injustice. You still did an excellent job on this! The only part to work on before speeding the tempo up is from 0:12 to 0:18 into the video. I would isolate that part and play it until it’s second nature. Wonderful job on this one, keep it up!

anirbaf – I love your radiant smile in this one :p Excellent playing all the way through the piece. You’re timing is spot on and you have the right vibe for the song! Very well played!

audreyrozowkywiatlucie – This is not an easy song to tackle after only a month and a half! You are doing great! For now, just work on getting the timing all the way through Melody A as your next bit of playing. If any rhythms are confusing, try going through the rhythm portion of the beginner course, and listen to the original to really hear how the rhythm is supposed to sound. Then play along at 50% speed with the tab play along. You’ll get there, you’re off to a great start!

lisamcc – Very nicely done! You seem to be off to a great start with the new technique, keep working on it to develop the fluidity that Tobias has (it takes a lot of time!). You’re playing wonderfully and rather quickly! To get the dynamics and feel even more dialed in, it might help to play it at just a slightly slower tempo. You’re doing an awesome job!

mac1984 – Great job on this one! You’ve got the notes and the rhythm down. Now the goal is to play each section smoother and more connected by leaving melody notes down as long as possible: from 0:47 to 0:51, if you can curve your fingers enough, you won’t have to lift the notes on the G string up so soon and they can ring out while you play the open strings. Great playing, keep up the good work!

surrealflea – Excellent job on your first challenge! You’re 90% of the way there on this song, just a little more work memorizing which section comes next and the hesitations will disappear! Everything sounds great, just memorize or practice looking ahead so that no part catches you off guard! Awesome work on this one!

maryjanew
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Down to the wire! But on time!
    Here is my “work in progress” for “Out In The North”.
    Thanks Tobias for this beautiful song. It has been fun to learn but I haven’t quite
    Learned it all! IT is very challenging! I was working on memorizing the piece, but as you will hear, I have not accomplished that yet. I want to continue to master this song.
    My fingers got a bit nervous and lost a few times.
    But I kept plugging away slowly because there is no more time!
    I will keep working on this one.

Oh yeah, I wanted to say I was trying to get the hammer on and pull offs. The tip of my index finger is so sore!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by maryjanew.
    kanae926
    Participant

My apologies to Tobias for not being able to do his beautiful original some justice…

I originally started out the month learning the simplified chord melody and I probably should have stuck with that, but then I went and tried the performance version too late. I don’t know where the month went because I had every intention of posting EARLY, but here I am at the 11th hour…again. And yet, so many flaws (the second ending of Melody A is particularly bad and my pull-offs/slides definitely need improvement in clarity).

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

maryjanew
    Participant

@emiliano WoW! Very nice. I wonder how great that would sound on a premium grade Ukulele?
    I have really enjoyed listening to evrybody’s submissions— but I’m not great at taking the time to make comments!
    Too busy practicing my song because I suck! LOL

emiliano
    Participant

@maryjanew Lol I had a super hard time trying to make the low g string stay in tune, but sadly it keeps getting out of tune, but ya so far I am enjoying ukelele world a lot so prolly will save to buy one for my bday hahaha.

By the way what song you choose to play? Is it already posted?

maryjanew
    Participant

@emiliano I posted at the 11th hour! But it was only the 8th hour on the west coast! I’m on page 21. I did Out In The North. I have a nicer Uke but I’m more of a beginner player

marygrace
    Participant

Stephen thank you for taking the time to view Challenge Video and the great feed back. Speed for me is definitely a challenge.

Great joy everyone! Have a great day!

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 333 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.