April 29, 2020 at 11:22 am #37255AndrewKeymaster
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #38! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a P-1 Pineapple Ukulele! This model is brand new for 2020 and retails at $1,370 USD.
I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 1,600+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 Rock Class 101 Mixed Bag Lessons:
1) “Out in the North” * – This fingerstyle piece has one of the catchiest melodies I’ve ever heard! There are two versions for this piece. The tutorial covers a bare-bones version of the song, while the performance adds a few variations to jazz it up. * Taught in its Entirety for FREE! Can submit either the easy or jazzed up version of the Chord Melody. (“Melody Only” version will not count)
2) “Malagueña” – A staple in flamenco guitar, this arrangement is a masterclass in Spanish techniques and phrasing.
3) “Ain’t No Sunshine” by Bill Withers * – In this full band arrangement, you’ll learn a rhythm and lead part that complements the other instruments (vocal, u-bass, drums). The big takeaway in this lesson, is that you’ll learn how to not overplay in a band situation. * If you don’t sing, you must perform to the backing track. If you do sing, you can play it as a solo piece.
4) “Pineapple Uke Blues” – Learn a relaxing and melodic Blues song that is perfect for the advanced fingerstyle player.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “Out in the North”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Malagueña”, “Ain’t No Sunshine”, OR “Pineapple Uke Blues”
3. Participation Goal: 85 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 Mixed Bag Song pieces anytime between Friday, May 1st till Sunday, May 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our April Challenge: Hawaiian Themed!
Second Chance: Participate in our May Challenge: Mixed Bag Themed!
Third Chance: Participate in our June Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On July 4th, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize. You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of May and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
1) $1,370 Grand Prize! Includes:
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED!
Solid Select Straight Grain Koa body
Gloss Body, Silk Neck Finish
Solid Mahogany neck
Ebony fingerboard, bridge and head plate
Kanile`a Cobra headstock
Gold Kanile`a Open Geared Tuners
Ebony bridge pins
NuBone nut and saddle
White Mother-of-Pearl position markers
Kanile`a Pineapple K logo
UV cured finish
Other Features: Includes a black hard foam case
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!April 29, 2020 at 2:45 pm #37271brettboyParticipant
Hi Uke Stars!
I’ll get the pineapple rolling this month by sharing my September 2018 video of Pineapple Uke Blues. I’ll also try to learn Ain’t No Sunshine by the end of this month.April 29, 2020 at 2:51 pm #37274rickeymikeParticipant
Man, that’s good!April 29, 2020 at 3:12 pm #37278rebecaParticipant
Awesome! You are definitely a uke star!April 29, 2020 at 4:29 pm #37283lisadmhParticipant
Amazing Brett! You’ve got such a good groove.
I think I’ll try Ain’t No Sunshine. It’s a frightening Level 3 and requires me to learn how to play to a backing track, but it’s the song I’m feeling.April 29, 2020 at 4:33 pm #37284lisottaParticipant
I hope it’s okay to play Out in the North on a non low-g uke. I am definitely in the beginner category and I do not have a low G uke. I will give it a try. Looking forward to month 2 of the challenge.April 29, 2020 at 7:04 pm #37294willymacParticipant
Yowza, great job. Woo hoo!April 29, 2020 at 7:21 pm #37296StevenParticipant
Ace! That was super cool, and an awesome way to start this month’s challenge! Think I’m going to have a go at malaguena.April 29, 2020 at 9:01 pm #37308hiloukesParticipant
Such a cool playing! Truly amazing Brett.April 29, 2020 at 10:59 pm #37297nthibodeParticipant
Nice one, Brett!
I learned Ain’t No Sunshine a while back and after receiving feedback from @Andrew, I kept working on it to improve my performance. It’s still one of my favourite arrangements from RC 101! Here is my updated recording from today:
Thank you for your music, Bill Withers. RIP.
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBERApril 29, 2020 at 11:03 pm #37337April 30, 2020 at 12:21 am #37342April 30, 2020 at 12:31 am #37343lyndallkParticipant
Natalie – not just a great uke player – so much heart and tone, but also such a good singer. Thanks bothApril 30, 2020 at 1:29 am #37345ccwukeParticipant
Brett and Nathalie – wow so good, thanks!April 30, 2020 at 7:14 am #37359willymacParticipant
Nthibode, Great job, both the singing and playing. And the amount of emotional expression you got in there is amazing.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.