Participate in the May 2020 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2020 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 333 total)
  • Author
    ukukelley1
    Participant

Here is my attempt at Erindring – performance version. I do love this song (thanks Tobias!), and when I’m not camera jittery I play it well enough to enjoy it for upbeat relaxation.

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Sheryl

asiakaiser

This song was really challenging for me as a beginner, but thanks for the great instructional video Tobias!

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

rustypal

I’m A Premium Member

Here’s my submission for May. I tried Malagueña.
    Still working on perfecting the second theme.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 19. Stephen is working on page 17 and 18 and will post feedback soon 🙂

—-

aloooy – That was excellent! I think it was at a perfect level for you. A couple of things stood out to me. First, I’d double down on practicing Bar 23. It’s hard to keep the tempo steady when you have to do picking on the same string versus a linear movement (i.e. strings 3 to 1).

For Theme 2, I’d recommend you soften up the strum on beat 1. IMO, this section should have a really soft, delicate feel.

goody2shoes – Here’s my feedback for you and here’s the lesson I referenced.

katariin – Well done! I’m going to embed a video below that I made earlier this month for another member. It’s got some tips on how you can switch up your right hand attack to create different colors. So for your performance, this would apply for the A Melody as you played it entirely with the thumb, which gives you only 1 timbre.

stinyuke – Awesome job! So I noticed that you and @aloooy struggled on the same measure (23). That’s a really tough bar for keeping the timing steady while doing the triplet on 2 strings as opposed to a liner movement (i.e. strings 3 to 1). Try to switch to Picado for that spot. I think it’ll make it easier to play and keeps the tempo consistent.

Beautiful feel on Theme 2. The only thing I can suggest is sometimes it seems like you lift up prematurely. But, it’s very slight. See if you can hold on and prolong the chords for just that extra touch of sustain.

ukulelemaster3000 – Nice playing! And what a cool looking uke 🙂 So the big thing that I noticed is your left hand form. I’d recommend positioning your thumb slightly above the middle of the neck. This will increase your dexterity. Check out this lesson as it dives deep into developing proper left hand form.

karenj – Here is my feedback for you and here’s the lesson I referenced. 🙂

kellyblackburn – Here’s my feedback for you and here’s the video with tips on the rake technique 🙂

zerratheterra – Well done, Zenon! For the B Melody, there’s one eighth note in measure 10 that you are omitting which is messing up the timing. So I’d recommend going back and just double checking the tab to make sure you’re playing that section correct 🙂

maryjanew
    Participant

I’ve been working on memorizing my song and will record today. 😱🎼

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 17:

riley_ukulele – You’re doing a great job on this one! It sounds like you have Melody A very solid, with just a hesitation going into measure 9 and a few other spots. Try playing a bit slower, then get that one shift down (or is it just a matter of marking where to jump down to on the page?) and you’re all set! On Melody B, measure 14 seems to be the tricky spot: play the whole song slower so you have time to get all of these notes in time. The notes should all be evenly spaced, as they are all 8th notes. Keep up the good work, you’re more than 80% there!

santai – You have a great voice! Wonderful job on the vocals and the ukulele part! The only part that needs a little bit of extra work is getting the rhythm at the end of the solo (2:15 on your video). Once you memorize that, you’ll be unstoppable! Excellent work on this song!

mikeramsey2 – Nicely done! You know the notes very well, and have the rhythm down too. I recommend playing the song a touch slower to think about what’s coming next to avoid hesitations. Once you smooth out a few transitions, your next challenge is to learn Tobias’s right hand technique. Great job on this!

coffeemug – You played this one very well! I like that you slowed the tempo down to a comfortable speed! There was only one or two little things that caused slight hesitations, and once you work those details out, you’re ready to speed the tempo up just a bit. Excellent playing on this one, keep it up!

humerosa – The “chewing lemons” comment had me laughing! I think we all make faces when we’re concentrating hard as we play. You are doing a wonderful job at 80 bpm! Try swelling into each phrase to add to the emotional quality of the song now that you have the notes down, and work up to 100 bpm after that. Awesome work on this one, just a few more times playing through it and you’ll remember to smile! Rock on!

kaidunc – Wow! That was very smooth, fast, and impressive! My only advice for you is to make sure you don’t rush through the ending as a performer, keep the song moving at a steady pace. Your technique is very impressive, and you are a great player! Keep it up!

simonalexander – This is great, Simon! Very nice job playing and editing! The only TINY detail to work on to improve on this great performance is to work a bit more on the hammer ons and pull offs in the solo. Try to get the rhythm as exact as you can, and practice each figure slowly to make each note as intentional and well defined as possible. It’s a very small detail, but everything else sounds wonderful, and it will add just a tiny flare to what you are already doing. Well done!

lisotta – Excellent job on this, your timing is perfect! Now it’s time to turn the metronome off and focus on adding some dynamics (volume swells within phrases). Once the metronome is off, try to accent the downbeats less to make the song flow without the feel of a metronome still clicking along. You are doing a super job, and I believe this is the first time I’ve ever told someone to turn a metronome off, so congratulations on practicing correctly and learning the rhythm solidly! Super job!

holly1 – Way to challenge yourself on this one! It’s picking songs that are tough and working through them that makes us better players! You definitely have the idea down! I highly recommend continuing to play sections of this song daily as a warm up exercise to build speed on each section. You’re doing a great job, and you have the right idea playing it slowly to build up muscle memory. Keep up the great work!

nitsur
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

It sounds a bit out of tune, but I had to pick up a cheap uke so I could have a low G, it has a hard time staying in tune sometimes.

andyrose
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
    Sorry if this is double-posted – I tried to post a few minutes ago but it’s not showing up.
    As I said . . . this is my first song using hammer-ons and pull-offs, which I’m struggling with as you will see.
    The right-hand technique by Tobias is wonderful but way beyond my skill level.
    Also, I seem to have added an extra repeat of bars 19-20, please excuse!
    Andy

hotshot
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER. Thank you for letting me participate.

ukuleleloo
    Participant

Premium Member

Hi Everyone,

Here’s my entry for the May Challenge. I worked on Pineapple Uke Blues.
    Still working to smooth out the transitions between the chords and getting the rhythm right.

debb1985

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

This month I went with Malaguena and it was quite the challenge! This was the best I could do before my hand almost fell off. I definitely need to work on my barre chords in the middle of the song as well as the tempo and transitions, but if someone told me a year ago I could play this song, I would have told them they were crazy. These challenges really push me to become a better player!

iyers408

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

Here is my entry for this month’s challenge:

Its been just over a year since I joined rockclass101. Pineapple Uke Blues started OK but melody B proved to be quite hard for my slow left hand. I have just about managed to get it a bit, and I will build up on speed and consistency going forward.

Thank you Andrew and team for teaching me new tricks every month.

cloud_cactus
    Participant

welp….this one is kinda odd. We have a very limited amount of devices in the house so I had to use one with a not very good video quality. rip. So ya its kinda annoying but oh well. Here’s my entry with Pineapple Uke Blues….a little rough…
    -Brinley

cimarronsailor
    Participant

Here’s my try at Ain’t No Sunshine.

I am a premium member.

ronnieg

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

I really like the way this lesson was presented. Also, having the progression from solo line upward was really helpful (especially covering the chord progressions).

While this performance is thumb rolls/picking, I plan to move onto the two-finger style next and eventually to the performance version.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 333 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.