Participate in the May 2020 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2020 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 333 total)
  • Author
    surfnrz

Awesome performances Nathalie and Brett! You both are fantastic!

miztaken
    Participant

Thanks Andrew… I thought too much 😁

robinboyd
    Participant

@miztaken – thanks for asking the question. I was confused too.

Steven
    Participant

@shmu88 Awesome job! That sounds ace with the backing track – really enjoyed it 👍

miztaken
    Participant

@robinboyd pleased to know I was not alone!

Unfortunately… I mastered the melody only on day 1, and chord/melody today. So, now I have to work on the performance piece for the rest of the month to try and make it beautiful.
    Beloved Husband is surprised that I want to do the “harder” version. But really, I want to improve technique… speed will come on it’s own.

robinboyd
    Participant

I’m also attempting the performance version. I’ll be interested to see how you go with it. I’m finding it surprisingly challenging. Are you trying the Tobias’ right hand technique?

jinajupiter
    Participant

Wow Nathalie, just amazing! So much feel and the metrum keeps going. I am ver impressed!
    Same for you Brett!

miztaken
    Participant

@robinboyd I am attempting the Hawaiian triple strum (as endorsed by Tobias Eloff, Kimo Hussey, and MOST importantly by Kalei Gamiao 😁😁😁). That one I could pick up from Tobias’s explanations, but some of his other techniques and instructions just leave me swearing 🤬. I shall have to pass on them… there are some challenges not for me, yet.
    So I shortened one of my uke stands instead, that calmed me down because I was more scared of the Dremel metal cutting blade sparks than Tobias’s beautiful but complicated techniques.
    Good luck to us both… one bar at a time.

lisadmh
    Participant

Hey Andrew, question about Ain’t no Sunshine.

For the constantly repeated Dm, bottom three strings only, you mute the G string with your thumb. My thumb doesn’t move in that way. I’m trying to just avoid the g string, which mostly works. But would you recommend fretting the whole Dm in case you clip the g string occasionally? Or is that cheating? It does mess up the fingering for the subsequent bit.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by lisadmh.
    oldan_
    Participant

@nthibode Thanks! So out in the north it is. I really need to get my hands on a Low G as well 🙂
    Really nice work on Ain’t no Sunshine! Had to listen to it a couple of times 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

Lisa, you can do that. But check out this lesson as it talks about muting with the palm of the right hand, which is what that song uses 🙂

lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks, boss. I’m on it.

nthibode

Thanks Ray, Jina, and @oldan_! 🙂

@oldan_
    I highly recommend getting your hands on a Low G! It sounds great and RC 101 has so many good low-G arrangements. Take care!

schaap123
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Unfortunately didn’t have time to submit last month, but here’s my try at Out in the North. The right hand technique was super tricky, I concur, but it was super fun to take on the challenge of learning a completely different style! Took a LOT of practicing – this is how it turned out 🙂 :

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by schaap123.
    Steven
    Participant

@schaap123 Wow, that was brilliant! You’ve learnt that really quickly and that right hand technique is excellent. I’ve been practicing this one but haven’t really been working on the right hand so it doesn’t quite sound right. Will keep practicing!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 333 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.