Participate in the May 2020 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2020 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 333 total)
  • Author
    Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 16:

dennisdickens – You are off to a great start! You are doing well on Melody A! In Melody B, spend a little bit of extra time breaking down the rhythms in measures 13 and 14. This part is tricky, so I recommend playing along with the tab play along at 50% speed or a bit slower. This will help with the overall flow of the song. You’re doing a wonderful job, keep working on it!

nproost – I’m so sorry to hear about the tennis elbow! I hope you heal soon! You are playing well so far, there are just a few spots where you are hesitating. Review these sections a bit more (even without the instrument if it hurts to play…visualize playing) so that you can play through them without having to think hard about what note/shift comes next. Great playing on this one!

sticks366 – Nice job on this one! I think you are ready to go back in and learn the proper techniques to play the original version of the song! before you play it like this, try adding some dynamics (volume swells) in some of the phrases to build up to certain high points in the melody. You’re doing an excellent job, keep it up!

givingtree89 – Way to play through the pain! You sound great! On measure 14, 18, and other measures with the 16th note hammer on and pull off combination, make sure to give the notes the proper length and not just rush through them. It’s tricky to get the notes to sound evenly, but a little extra work here will make the song sound even smoother! Great job on this one!

elealong12 – You are off to a great start! It sounds like you have the notes down! Now it’s time to slow the tempo down a bit to help you keep a steady beat throughout the piece. To do this, you can either play along to a metronome, pat your foot, or sway back and forth. Once you have a solid pulse throughout the piece, then you can go back in and add the chunks and muted strums. Keep up the good work, you’re getting there with this one!

smudge – You have a good grasp on the feel and rhythm of the song, now it’s just time to work on the tough spots! It seems like most of the parts higher up on the neck are giving you a bit more difficulty. Work on the shifts that cause you to hesitate, and play these sections many times in a row to get familiar with all of the shapes. You’re doing a wonderful job, keep it up!

ukulelee – Very beautifully played! Your timing is excellent and you get a good sound out of all of the notes! You sound ready to speed the tempo up a bit at this point. Fantastic job on this one!

lhamilton – This sounds great over all! There are some spots that you are rushing through a bit like the very end of measure two. Try playing along with the slowed down tab play along to make sure you have the rhythm right in that spot. You’re doing a great job, keep up the good work!

miztaken – You are doing a great job playing through this song! It seems like measure 13 and the other measures where this pattern repeats are the only spot I can hear where you may want to go back and listen to the rhythm. Depending on which version you are playing, you either want to play “1 2 and 3 and 4 and” in the harder version, or 1 (two) and three and four and” in the slightly simpler version, not playing the beat 2 in parenthesis. You also want to make sure to slide into the notes in time to not cut any of the notes short. Once you get this rhythm down, you are unstoppable! Great work on this one!

amandali

I am a premium member

this was a challenge to learn (still learning!) but i’m glad I took the time

marygrace
    Participant

mljordan3

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.
    Hopefully posting from soundcloud correctly. This was quite a challenge for a 5-month newbie. But I noticed improvement each day of practice. Great practice for hammer-on and pull-off. Was wishing I had a low G to play it. Tobias made it sound so beautiful and effortless!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by mljordan3. Reason: having trouble posting the link
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Andrew.
    b_ukes_101

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Andrew, I really enjoyed learning Pineapple Uke Blues. I was having a little bit of trouble with the strumming technique. I got this very buzzy and grainy sound. Any advice you have will be very appreciated. Looking forward to next month’s challenge!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by b_ukes_101.
    ccwuke
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Another great month of entries. I learnt Malaguena this month. Struggled with the B section and it only recently clicked for me. Lost count of the number of takes! More work to do to get the mistakes out….but here goes……

Chris

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by ccwuke.
    lhamilton
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi,

Here is my second piece, Malagueña. You’ll likely notice I pause a bit — I got my low G in the middle of the month and have memorized the piece — just 🙂

Linda

bzediver

I hope everyone is doing well. With the sad current events of racial injustice it’s kind of hard for me to focus on playing. Black lives do matter. Respect and love to everyone.
    I am a premium member.

marygrace
    Participant

Good Morning Andrew,
    If not to late I am a premium member for 2 entries but forgot to mention it on my video.
    Posted May 30, 2020 at 5:58 pm, Malaguena or a similar version to it LOL.
    Thank You,
    Mary Grace

miztaken
    Participant

Thanks for your feedback @Stephen… and bugger! because it had been pointed out to me on Wednesday that I was rushing measure 13 etc, I had even highlighted the phrase, and STILL forgot and let my poor habit rule. Back to practice, and correction – but as this number will remain in my repertoire, it WILL be fixed.

BTW, thank you @RC101 for your incredible feedback to us all. Even when dealing with a negative in our playing, you are so positive and encouraging at all times and keep driving us to improve one step at a time. You guys ARE incredible.

anirbaf
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

oh it just doesn’t seem to work ):

uh okay, got it! thank you guys for the motivation! this month I watched them entries and it’s very motivating! I had lots of fun learning the piece and I still want to improve on it! first time I’m participating, sorry somewhat camera shy ^^ but one-eyed tiny tuner is watching 😛 good luck to everyone!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by anirbaf.

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I am a beginner in ukulele. I started playing a month and a half ago. I know there is still a lot of errors. I have been rehearsing every day since the beginning of May. This is my first participation in a ukulele challenge.

lisamcc
    Participant

I am a premium member.
    Hey everyone,
    Hope you are all staying safe. Here’s my entry for this month – I’m really not sure that I’ve got this technique right at all – a lovely piece of music though and I really wanted to learn it.
    Take care,
    Lisa

mac1984
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

surrealflea
    Participant

This is my first monthly challenge! Here’s my attempt of “Out in the North” (chord melody). It’s been a fun challenge – I’ve only been playing the ukulele 8 weeks. I’m brand new. 🙂 Looking forward to improving even more.

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 333 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.