Participate in the May 2021 Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Baritone Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2021 Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Baritone Ukulele!

Viewing 12 posts - 136 through 147 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    qiuyan
    Participant

Gotcha. Thanks!

jayton
    Participant

Hi, Great challenge again. Listened to a lot of participants and really liked it!
    Hope you would still accept my submission of Smoke on the Water.
    Was not able to record last couple of nights….

I am a premium member

johanna2509
    Participant

Thank you Stephen for the feedback! Yes, I know I hesitated between the two sections because it was the first day I actually practiced them together, which is definitely not a good idea haha. As this piece is not hard to remember, I will keep it in my repertoire and practice some more.

timolnz
    Participant

Thanks for the comments Stephan….yes will download a metronome and work on that timing….Appreciated, Tim

chiaracasella
    Participant

I love your performance!!!!

brithor
    Participant

Hi Andrew,
    thank you so much for your more than kind feed-back. I played with a strap this time (your feed-back last time). Have to say that recording myself still stresses me out!!! Love the program, love the arrangements, so glad that I discovered the site. Guilty of all but one of the major mistakes Matt mentions in one of the live lessons, the only one I am not guilty of: not one day since more than a year I haven’t picked up my uke and at least gone through a couple of C-scale variations..Looking forward to what you have in mind for the June challenge. It’s really a great way of making us work with a deadline (not that I would mind winning the awesome prize).
    Best Brigitte

Andrew
    Keymaster

@seoulkim – I’ve got you down for two entries for April 🙂

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 8:

riberbula – You’re doing great so far! The notes are sounding cleanly, and you are getting through the whole piece! Now there are just a few small rhythmic things to look at. One of them is in the intro: The hammer-on at the end of measure 2 (from the 7th to 8th fret) is even eighth notes like all of the notes in the first measure. Even though the hammer-on is different than plucking, that note still needs to be pushed down at the right time. If you have trouble with this, try slowing the Tab Play Along down to 50% and listen to how it is spaced when Andrew plays it. You’re doing a great job, most people struggle with hammer-on timing at first. Keep up the great work!

joe150 – You’re getting the idea with the notes and some of the rhythms. I just want to mention that the very intro has the same timing as the part at 0:10 into the song without the muted strum. From there it’s just a matter of getting comfortable with the shifts. Keep it up, you memorized a good bit of the notes!

andrewvh – Great job sticking with the timing all of the way through and playing the notes fairly accurately! There are just a few melody notes to work on getting a bit smoother. I would drop the tempo down slightly to add the solo…have you tried 50% for that? You’re doing great, keep it up!

joelnal – You’re off to a great start! To me it’s easier to think of the muted slaps in places like measure 8 as strums instead, using a tiny bit of a down strum instead of just trying to get the slap by dropping the hands on the strings. This helps to stay a bit consistent on the volume of those. From there, it’s just small adjustments to get the notes in the melody to have less buzz here and there. You’re doing an awesome job!

ukealori – That was amazing for your first chord melody! They are challenging to get used to for sure! It seems like the only spot that’s giving you timing issues is the chorus, so I would just loop that section at this speed (or even slightly slower) until you no longer hesitate on it, and then you’re all set! Thank you for entering the challenge, your first video turned out great!

chiaracasella – Great job on this…it is not an easy song by any means! You did a wonderful job keeping up with the tempo as well! There are a few spots that you might benefit from playing slower just to get the notes in time (mainly 1:24), but this was impressive over all! I think going into the synth solo sounded just fine there, as well. Well done!

riley_ukulele – You played this one very well! Very nicely done, and with a good feel! My only suggestion is to play the whole song a bit slower for the synth solo to be a bit easier to manage without pausing, and keep up the great work on the guitar solo…I know it’s tough. Wonderful job, keep it up!

sarahd – Very nicely done on your first post! You are playing the notes very well and you have a good understanding of the rhythm. It’s now just a matter of getting comfortable with the shifts in riff 3, and working out hesitations on transitions between other sections. Keep it up, you’re doing a great job!

seoulkim – You are playing great on this one! Your strums are very natural, and you are getting a clean sound out of the notes. It seems like you play something great on one repeat, and then let the same spot trick you on another…it might help to practice this one slower until you are super consistent and then bringing it back to this speed. Keep up the great work!

biancak – That was very smooth – great timing and feel throughout the whole piece. If you had more time this month, I’d recommend a more challenging piece for you 🙂 That sounded excellent!

givingtree89 – You’re doing great so far! Have you tried incorporating strumming into riff 3? If you watch the arrangement, Matt starts strumming there, and it gives the arrangement more power. From there it’s just working on the transitions within the chorus without adding hesitations. You’re off to a nice start, keep it up!

concan – That sounded quite nice! Even with having to slide a bit extra to avoid extreme stretches, you still managed to play this arrangement with a great sound and great timing. Very nicely played!

karenj – I think your version sounded quite nice, and is not deserving of the treament you described, although that was a nice play on the title of the song. You played very well, there are just a few hesitations on the chorus to work through. For now, playing the whole song at 75% of this speed will give you the space to keep the shifts in time. You’re doing a great job!

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 9:

maryjanew – You’re off to a great start on this one! You have the notes down, with just a little bit of work on the chorus. One small timing thing to work on is on the main riffs: the last note of riff 1 is on the up beat rather than the down beat. If you are patting your foot, make sure to hit the note while it is up after beat one of measure 4. Where this note happens in the other riffs, it will also be on an upbeat. It’s a small detail, but it’s repeated a lot, so this will help it feel more like the original song. Keep up the great work!

dennisdickens – Excellent work on this one! You’ve definitely got the riffs and verse part down! For the performance, I’d play those parts slower so that you are able to play the chorus part in time since it’s harder to get those shifts. That way the flow of the song remains steady. Then at that point if you want to speed it up to this tempo, you’re all set! Great job!

cheun133 – Awesome job on this one! You played everything very cleanly and kept a steady tempo! There is only one spot where the timing was off the slightest bit: on measure 19, the transition back into the opening part comes in on the upbeat right after that last strum. It’s a tricky transition, but knowing that that note is on the next eighth note might help to keep the timing perfect through the whole piece! Excellent work on this!

b_ukes_101 – You’re off to a great start! If you have any extra time to spend on this, the main thing is the rhytm under the verse and the chorus parts. It sounds like you have a grasp on the notes, but a little work on counting the rhyhm will go a long way. Keep it up, you’re doing an awesome job so far!

themccoys – Great work on this! The verse and the chorus sounded very nice, and so did the riffs! There were just a few pauses to work through here and there, then you’re all set! Very nicely done!

mac1984 – That was a very solid playthough with great rhythm all the way to where the intro part gets played again. On that fingerpicking, try relaxing your right hand a bit and even using more than just the thumb so that you don’t tense up. I know Matt is great at getting his thumb to move that fast, but you might benefit from using the pointer and middle fingers for now if it’s more comfortable. Either way, great job on this!

taylor22jane – I kept expecting your dog to jump! That was a great performance! Your fingerpicking, strumming, and feel were great through the whole song! It might take a bit more work on the synth solo to get it quite up to Evan’s speed, but you are getting close! I hope you tackle the guitar solo sometime soon. Keep up the great playing!

dividedsky – Very nice job on this one! You are playing very well, now it’s just spending a little bit of extra time on the Verse and Chorus to work out those hesitations. You’re doing very well, keep it up!

emiliano – You are certainly off to an excellent start! For the performance, I recommend playing along with a slower version of the track to truly lock in with the timing. Right now you are rushing some parts, but you always seem to come back to the right spots which is a great start. Great work on both solos, you’re doing an awesome job!

john316 – Excellent job on this, you seem very comfortable at this speed! The only suggestion I have is to work on transitioning from the fingerpicking to the strumming and back a bit faster to keep the flow you have for each section. This only affects the transition into measure 4 and measure 19, so it’s a very slight thing. You played great on this one!

@jayton
    – I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you submitted past our deadline of 11:59 PM EST. Andrew tried to give everyone a friendly reminder before the challenge ended. But the good news is, there’s still one more month to participate for a chance to win the baritone!

riberbula

@Stephen – thank you! I hear how it’s different from the way it should sound, the problem is in my fingers, not my ear 😀 I hope to come back to this piece when my technical skills are on a better level!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Wow! 63 members joined us for this month’s challenge! It has truly been a pleasure for Stephen and I to watch everyone’s performances and offer our humble feedback. BIG thanks to each of you who participated and bravo on a job well done!

Our June Challenge is LIVE and the theme is: 50’s Rock Songs! I hope each of you joins us again.

Below, I will post a list of members who participated in the May challenge for your second chance to win the Kanile’a Ukulele. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

—-

smokealot
    smokealot
    mark1256
    mark1256
    debb1985
    debb1985
    tric_o_tronic
    tric_o_tronic
    bibilele
    bibilele
    ldarrow
    ldarrow
    sebi75
    sebi75
    kirpuff
    kirpuff
    ukandrea
    ukandrea
    samash07
    samash07
    marlongas
    marlongas
    bethany_guardiani
    bethany_guardiani
    shmu88
    shmu88
    lbilkie
    lbilkie
    ukule_lise
    ukule_lise
    katazumiri
    ccwuke
    ccwuke
    clempek
    clempek
    bomarkt
    bomarkt
    misterbones
    misterbones
    stianukulele
    stianukulele
    qiuyan
    qiuyan
    brettboy
    brettboy
    wongbrown
    wongbrown
    ukulelee
    ukulelee
    robinl
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    morrieuke1
    morrieuke1
    nthibode
    nthibode
    brithor
    brithor
    marianne
    marianne
    mademoiselleannette
    lhamilton
    lhamilton
    timolnz
    timolnz
    richard_siegert
    johanna2509
    johanna2509
    henri0
    henri0
    gstriph
    gstriph
    bemarlie
    bemarlie
    joe150
    joe150
    riberbula
    riberbula
    andrewvh
    andrewvh
    joelnal
    joelnal
    ukealori
    ukealori
    chiaracasella
    chiaracasella
    riley_ukulele
    riley_ukulele
    sarahd
    sarahd
    seoulkim
    seoulkim
    biancak
    biancak
    givingtree89
    givingtree89
    concan
    concan
    karenj
    karenj
    maryjanew
    maryjanew
    dennisdickens
    dennisdickens
    cheun133
    b_ukes_101
    b_ukes_101
    themccoys
    themccoys
    mac1984
    mac1984
    taylor22jane

taylor22jane
    dividedsky
    dividedsky
    emiliano
    emiliano
    john316
    john316

—-

BONUS GIVEAWAY LIST

sebi75
    kirpuff
    shmu88
    misterbones
    brettboy
    morrieuke1
    nthibode
    marianne
    lhamilton
    henri0
    bemarlie
    riberbula
    andrewvh
    chiaracasella
    riley_ukulele
    taylor22jane
    emiliano

chiaracasella
    Participant

Thank you Stephen!

Viewing 12 posts - 136 through 147 (of 147 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.