Participate in the May 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Rock Class 101 Community!

We’re back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #74! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! One lucky winner will win their choice of either a Kanile’a K-1 model featuring Premium Hawaiian Curly Koa or a Custom Build Kanile’a featuring Redwood Top with Milo Back and Sides. These concert sized ukuleles retail for $1,745 and $2,900 USD. These are the same 2 ukuleles Andrew has owned and played for years! Kanile’a will create a duplicate specced ukulele for the winner!

I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 4,000 members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. And I offer feedback on ALL submissions! 🙂

Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.

Pick 1 from the following 5 Rock Class 101 Lessons:

1) “Funk Jam” by RC101 – This song teaches you two hallmarks of funk playing: syncopated strum patterns and funky riffs.

Note: This lesson is for Baritone ukulele, but can be played on Low G.

2) “The Chicken” by Jaco Pastorius – “The Chicken” is a Jazz-Funk standard featuring a catchy melody and a great bass line!

Note: The solo is OPTIONAL. If you choose this song, you MUST perform to the backing track. The backing track requires premium membership to download.

3) “Cissy Strut” by The Meters – Learn one of the grooviest funk songs ever written!

Note: The solo is OPTIONAL. If you choose this song, you MUST perform to the backing track. The backing track requires premium membership to download.

4) Beginner Blues Strumming * – In this lesson, you’ll learn 2 strumming patterns (one including a chunk) for a 12 Bar Blues in the key of A.

* Taught in its entirety for FREE!

5) Spice Up Your Rhythm Playing – Concept Lesson: EP010 * – In this lesson, you’ll learn 8 ways to vary your rhythm playing. The big takeaway here is that these concepts can be applied to any song, helping you to expand your rhythmic playing vocabulary.

* Taught in its entirety for FREE!

Note: You can perform this tune with either a Low or High G ukulele.

** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **

GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:

1. Beginner to Intermediate Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race. 🙂

Recommended Piece: “Beginner Blues Strumming” OR “Spice Up Your Rhythm Playing (EP010)” [INTERMEDIATE]

2. Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.

Recommended Piece: “Funk Jam”, “The Chicken”, OR “Cissy Strut”

3. Participation Goal: 85 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.

GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:

1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 5 RC101 pieces anytime between Monday, May 1st till Wednesday, May 31st, 11:59pm EDT.

The upload feature on the site only supports photos. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free. 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:

YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel

SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin

2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.

3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.

4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.

5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.

* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.

COMMON FAQs:

1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!

2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.

3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.

4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:

YouTube URL

5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Kanile’a Ukulele. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.

Giveaway Rules:

There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:

First Chance: Participate in our April Challenge: Original Music!

Second Chance: Participate in our May Challenge: Funk Music!

Third Chance: Participate in our June Challenge.

Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. 

On July 4th at 12pm EDT, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN their choice of one of the two Kanile’a Ukuleles!

To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.

Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.

Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize.

You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of May and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).

YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.

Note: Previous Kanile’a winners are more than welcome to participate, but will not receive an entry for the prize.

Grand Prize: Your choice of one of the two ukuleles listed below.

1) $1,745 Grand Prize! Includes:

A) Kanile’a K-1 Concert Scale Ukulele

null

null

null

null

null

UKULELE SPECS

Premium Curly Koa Body (Top, Back, Sides, & Headplate)
    Mahogany Neck w/ Rosewood Fretboard & Bridge
    Paua Abalone Position Dots on Top & Side of Fretboard
    Kanile`a Open Geared Chrome Tuners
    NuBone Nut & Saddle
    UV Natural Satin Finish
    Aquila Strings
    Made in Hawaii

Other Features: Includes Hardshell Case w/ Leather Handle

2) $2,900 Grand Prize! Includes:

A) Kanile’a Custom Build Concert Scale Ukulele

null

null

null

null

null

UKULELE SPECS

Curly Sequoia Redwood Soundboard (Top)
    Milo Back & Sides
    Tortoise Front Binding
    Mahogany Neck w/ Ebony Fretboard, Bridge, & Headplate
    Position Markers & Logo in Sand
    Kanile`a Open Geared Chrome Tuners
    NuBone Nut & Saddle
    UV Natural Satin Finish
    Aquila Strings
    Made in Hawaii

Other Features: Includes Hardshell Case w/ Leather Handle

OUR 8 PREVIOUS KANILE’A WINNERS! WILL YOU BE NEXT?

null

THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!

Kanile’a: https://www.kanileaukulele.com/

Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/

AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!

jody_hendrickson
    Participant

Hey Andrew-

If I want to attempt Funk Jam on a low-G ukelele, since I don’t have a baritone, what are the adjustments that need to be made because of the different tuning? I realize that if I have to ask this question I probably shouldn’t be attempting this piece, but I really like it and want to take a stab at it.

Thanks!
    Jody

Andrew
    Keymaster

No adjustments needed, Jody! The only difference is that you’ll be playing in a different key. Unfortunately, that does make it unideal when playing along with the tab player or following along in the lesson.

jody_hendrickson
    Participant

Thanks, Andrew! I’d be lost without the tab player for learning this. The looping feature is great for the listening reps I really need to sort out the rhythm measure by measure. ! Don’t know how far I’ll get with this, but loving the challenge.

Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone!

gstriph
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

It’s time to pack up my computer before the movers come so I recorded today… normally I would have practiced more. I don’t think I’ve ever posted first!

Jerry

leb397
    Participant

@gstriph nicely played and good luck with move. New beginnings 😊🎼

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gstriph, very well played! Good luck with the move!! 😊

Like @jody_hendrickson, I also want to push the boundaries of my abilities and learn Funk Jam. If I can learn the intro even, that would be huge because I have strummophobia, man. 😅😭 I also still am very confused by the way you do the string (?) slaps, @Andrew. Do you hit the strings with your fingers or nails, or is it mostly just stopping the sound of the strings? Or are you hitting the uke? When I try it, it makes no sound. I’ve watched all the videos you made on that specific thing but still am very bad at that…

leb397
    Participant

@jody_hendrickson and @the_bumble_bard without the tab player there is no way I would get through rhythm variation 13> and chucking in EP010. Already a LOT of hours. The tab player allows my ear to hear it. I was getting really confused with Andrews lesson after the basic strum. Harder than I thought but sticking with it. Can’t wait to hear your “funk” ladies.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, I think I will also have to use the tab player for that one. It’s quite complicated, and I’m super bad at figuring out rhythm. I actually feel like I’d do okay with some of the riffs, but the rhythm, strumming, and slaps are all things I’m pretty iffy with. Ha, we’re going to Funky Town and it’s crazy there! 😅

jody_hendrickson
    Participant

@leb397 and @the_bumble_bard I’m also working on Rhythmic Variation EP010 in case Funk Jam doesn’t get there by the end of the month (likely!). I agree that my “slap” makes a much less distinct sound than we hear in the lesson. I do it with my fingertips/nails, landing between the strings for the subsequent pluck.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time learning the first measure of Funk Jam. Clapping, singing, and counting the 16th notes all helped but it was only by listening to it on loop as well that it finally clicked. Once it did, it suddenly made sense. So many challenges in this piece, but super-fun. I really appreciate how methodical Andrew is in giving us several way to look at the rhythms. I watched that part of the lesson so many times!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@jody_hendrickson, ha, I feel like if I have a backup song, then it’ll make me less likely to finish learning Funk Jam, but that’s just my own weird way of thinking. 😅 I think part of the issue I have with the slaps or chucking is that I find it super creepy if anything hits my cuticles, 😂 but also that the sound isn’t distinct enough.

You are so right that the tab player helps tremendously with learning that one because the tune just so complicated. It really helps you laser focus on one section. Andrew also says in the video that you can practice the intro with just one finger to get the rhythm and that really helped me because I’m so bad at strumming and chucking. The fingerpicking parts, while still insane, are coming more easily for me because I’ve done that way more. If I can get through the intro and figure out the slaps, it may be possible to learn this. We can do it! 😅

Andrew
    Keymaster

@gstriph – Excellent playing, Jerry! Only tip I have is to pluck the 1st fret on C on the & of 1 instead of beat 2. Holding that note for a dotted quarter gives it that cliche jazzy-rhythmic ending sound 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

@The_Bumble_Bard – Try muting the strings with your left hand and playing the XXXX’s as muted strums.

billypancakes
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Everyone!

This is my first time participating in the challenge! I bought an ukulele for my daughter about a year ago and then decided to try it out. Since then, I signed up for RockClass101 and took a few lessons, took a few months off to go to Japan for work, and now I’m picking it back up. The audio on my laptop is terrible, so good luck listening to it!

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by billypancakes.
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@Andrew, oh, good idear! I will try that! Thank you! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 145 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.