Participate in the May 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@billypancakes – Excellent first post! Great playing, Will!

rgillof
    Participant

I am a premium member

OK, here is my shot! Thanks in advance for any feedback.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by rgillof.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@rgillof – Playing was great! You nailed the feel and rhythm the second time through when you added the chunk. The first time through, you changed the rhythm giving it more of a straight, less syncopated feel. Try counting and clapping the rhythm:

For the ending lick, try to pluck the 1st fret on C right after the last strum. That note falls on the & of 1. Tricky b/c it happens so quick after the strum on 1.

johanna2509
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi all!

I chose the Rhythmic Variations and it is super fun! But more difficult than I expected. I love different strumming variations and this lesson gives you a lot of tools/concepts to combine and make your own strumming pattern 🙂

On the island strum variation, I tried to only hit the a string before transitioning to the next chord to make switching easier. However, I messed up in bars 11-12 where I didn’t hit the a string properly.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@johanna2509 – Very nice touch on the rubato section! Well done demonstrating each technique and stylistic change! My only comment is to practice the transition going into the rhythm changes (bar 12 into 13) so the tempo stays steady.

marianne
    Participant

Ok so I could not pass the opportunity to give the Funk Jam a shot seeing it’s for baritone, but that was definitely a high reach for my skill level 😭 I took on the challenge because I do love rhythm and syncopation, even if keeping up with the fingering and fingerboard surfing is tough and for more advanced players. @Andrew what a lovely funky and fun-to-play piece! Thank you!
    I know I need to clean it up a lot still – working on it. Hope I didn’t butcher it too much, the spirit is there haha 😀

mark1256
    Participant

I am a Premium member.

Here is my attempt at the rhythm for The Chicken. I hope to work on the lead but I am going to be without internet for a while.

musiclover
    Participant

I know this is slow, but I’m going outside to work with rocks in my garden, and I don’t want to chance the necessity to need a bandaid for further posts! Thank you for listening, it’s been fun! Mary

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by musiclover. Reason: Remove html tag
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@marianne – That was awesome! Great feel and well done on the rhythm and timing! Keep up the excellent work, Marianne!

@mark1256
    – Excellent job on the rhythm, Mark! You were nicely locked into the groove. The only thing I’d recommend working on is the vamp. I want to hear that locked in a little tighter. Try looping those bars in the tab player. Sing it first “da da dahhh” (X4), then play it.

@mroman99x – Well done Mary! I thought you did a great job showcasing the rhythmic variations. There are two techniques I would suggest working on. The first is #3 — quarter note triplet strums. Playing quarter note triplets is tough! This lesson by Christopher from our Strumming Techniques Course teaches and explains the rhythm.

Once you have a grasp of it, you want to add a little bit of rubato to slow it down to give it a drawn out effect.

The second is #6 — rasgueado. I cover this strumming technique in this flamenco lesson. And Matt did too in this lesson from our Next Level Strumming Course.

musiclover
    Participant

I am a premium member!yay!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@mroman99x – Thank you so much for your support Mary! I really appreciate it 🙂

joe150
    Participant

I am a Premium member

marianne
    Participant

Thanks a lot @Andrew!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@joe150 – Great strumming, Joe! The first time through felt a little rushed, try playing along with me in the tab player. That’ll help you with pacing.

rafaela
    Participant

I am a PREMIUM MEMBER.

This month I went for “The Chicken” and wow, this song is SO much fun to play! The backing track sounds really great, and I still remember the feeling when I played along it for the very first time – it immediately made me feel so cheerfull 😍 Like last month, I am still struggling with 100% speed, which is why my recording still is only at 75% speed. I can’t wait though to finally be able to play through it at full speed.

Thanks for listening! Rafaela 😄

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 145 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.