Participate in the November 2018 Member Challenge – WIN Skype Lesson w/ Taimane!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2018 Member Challenge – WIN Skype Lesson w/ Taimane!

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 301 total)
  • Author
    springer1
    Participant

Thank you for the feedback Andrew! Good to know my hours and hours of practice paid off! I will try to polish it up now — but I’m so absorbed in We Three Kings! Love the arrangement and love the challenges!

curlyuke
    Participant

Thanks Stephen. Happy Christmas 🙂

hondamom
    Participant

Thanks Stephen for your gracious review. I’ll keep working. I appreciate all of your tips and that 5th fret barre is killing me. But I get what you’ve told me and will work harder on it!

Merry Christmas!

Honda

kellyblackburn
    Participant

Hi Steven, yes I mostly play by memory, don’t read sheet music, I may interpret it a little different.should work on reading and music theory. Kelly

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is everyone on page 17:

gtrdude6, here is a video with some tips and here are the two lessons I referenced:

1) https://rockclass101.com/swung-vs-straight-rhythm/

2) https://rockclass101.com/proper-left-hand-ukulele-form/

yukalele, here is a video with some tips:

sudave, nice job! I’d like you to focus on your timing when you’re practicing. Take a four bar phrase and play along with the on-screen tab viewer. When you can lock in with me, or the computer playback in “synthetic” mode, move on to the next four bars. Then piece the eight bars together. Continue on with this approach for the remainder of the tune. This acts as a guide to help reinforce keeping the tempo steady.

Okay so I just got to your version of “Moon”. Your timing on this was much better than the other tune. And big props for getting both tunes down this month. So you already know that you need to keep working on this one. Couple things that stick out: Focus on getting proper form and finger strength for some of the chords that buzz. And try to tackle one section at a time; similar to the advice above.

When you working on that one section, think about the dynamics that we talked about in the lesson video and how you can incorporate them into your playing. But overall, very good job. To me it sounds like you worked on this one a lot more than the other.

lisamcc, ohh I like the twiddles and your smile at the end. 🙂 Excellent execution on the Rasgueado, honestly sounds better than mine! My only critique is to watch your tempo a little bit more, see if you can keep it flowing a bit more steady. But super good job this month!

ukuleleloo, great job! Here is one tip for you:

suzums, bravo! You play beautifully. 🙂 Great feel, great tone, and great picking/fretting form. That’s three Greats in a row, lol! You also showed tasteful use of dynamics, but I would say don’t be afraid to go harder when the song builds – strumming and picking with more force will help to emphasize those sections. Keep up the great work!

cyberloh, awesome job this month! I can hear you’ve been practicing. Timing sounds really good. In the B Melody, you play a D minor, should be an F chord. So you want to swap that out. I left a video above for ukuleleloo, it was on hammer on and pull off tips. Check it out I think it will be useful for you too. But again, really great performance this month 🙂

suzie1, okay big lesson here, always play through your mistakes. If you miss a note, keep going. If you play a wrong chord, don’t stop and backtrack and play the right chord, keep going. Always pretend you are playing with a band, they will not wait for you if you mess up, they will keep going.

For what you did play, I thought you did well. I would go back and review some of the rhythms and watch your timing. Also, don’t be afraid to try the picado technique, it’s super useful!

cconuku, nice job! So it looks like you were reading off the music, correct? If so, I’d encourage you to work on memorizing it. But focus on one section at a time, for example an 8 bar section. When tackling the eight bar section, follow the advice (first paragraph) I left for sudave above. Memorizing allows you to focus on how you are playing it (which we talked about in this lesson: https://rockclass101.com/copying-good-thing/) but also the mechanics behind your left and right hand.

Sometimes I noticed you hug the neck, sometimes you didn’t. Check out the video I left for gtrdude6 and yukalele (I think I touched most about not hugging the neck in the first video). And, don’t be afraid to try the picado technique, it’s super useful!

joannetala, that was really good! It’s definitely a toughie for a beginner and I’m really proud of how well you did. ESPECIALLY, that you used picado. That technique was a big takeaway of this lesson. So what I would do is focus on the same advice (first paragraph) I left for sudave above. Breaking songs into sections is a great way to master them easier and quicker. Keep up the great work!

mayaqatsi, here is a video with some tips for you:

cmab81, great job, Kashif! I want you to watch the first video that I left on this post for gtrdude6. It talks about a few points but I want you to listen to these 2: not hugging the neck and lightening up your attack. So with the latter, you have a really nice tone when fingerpicking, but if you were to lighten up the strum attack, I think it would blend better with the prettiness of the fingerpicking. And the video right above your feedback, that would be a good one for you to check out for tips on rasgueado technique. Keep up the great work, you are sounding awesome 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED THIS MONTH! WE HAD 70 ENTRIES! YOU GUYS ROCK!

Hope to see everyone in our December Challenge December is your LAST CHANCE to win the Kanile’a!

I’ll be announcing the winner of the skype lesson with Taimane (plus signed uke and cd) in a special end of year video this Friday!

Here is a list of everyone who participated. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

—-

TAIMANE ENTRIES

Count: 15

deadbuggy
    jakeypoo
    rickkhan
    robinboyd
    brettboy
    russellbarnett
    lyndallk
    annefgodfrey
    ukukelley1
    kmelton
    hondamom
    benjamin
    planetfink
    suzums
    sudave

—-

KANILE’A ENTRIES

EXTRA ENTRIES

carmen-s (Instagram Bonus)

Count: 70

deadbuggy
    deadbuggy
    jakeypoo
    rickkhan
    rickkhan
    brenna
    brenna
    poopsies
    hafeez3115
    hafeez3115
    kmelton
    kmelton
    planetfink
    planetfink
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    becky7777
    brettboy
    brettboy
    lisadmh
    lisadmh
    sprintingyogini
    sprintingyogini
    edward
    edward
    nggnmm
    hotmilktea
    hotmilktea
    russellbarnett
    russellbarnett
    coffeemug
    coffeemug
    timolnz
    timolnz
    gstriph
    gstriph
    rpina61
    rpina61
    uku_on
    uku_on
    mheiden
    mheiden
    zukulele
    zukulele
    stinyuke
    stinyuke
    casadot349
    kanae926
    kanae926
    andracass
    andracass
    dreadhead
    dreadhead
    kellyblackburn
    kellyblackburn
    incywincy
    incywincy
    felixpitterling
    felixpitterling
    annefgodfrey
    annefgodfrey
    lyndallk
    lyndallk
    rickeymike
    rickeymike
    laurasil
    laurasil
    hzhuodie
    springer1
    springer1
    jacoob_slezak
    jacoob_slezak
    ryzeonly
    ukukelley1
    ukukelley1
    der-binni
    der-binni
    benita
    curlyuke
    curlyuke
    hondamom
    hondamom
    karenj
    karenj
    marni11
    marni11
    ultramom
    ultramom
    timstacks
    timstacks
    peropata
    peropata
    benjamin
    benjamin
    shortman
    shortman
    josephus
    akshxd
    akshxd
    planetfink
    planetfink
    arbuscula
    arbuscula
    pauvaliente
    flora-
    gtrdude6
    gtrdude6
    yukalele
    yukalele
    sudave
    sudave
    lisamcc
    lisamcc
    ukuleleloo
    ukuleleloo
    suzums
    suzums
    cyberloh
    cyberloh
    suzie1
    cconuku
    cconuku
    joannetala
    joannetala
    mayaqatsi
    mayaqatsi
    cmab81
    cmab81

lisamcc
    Participant

Thanks Andrew – that’s really kind. I loved playing this tune. I think I get so nervous that I speed up when I record. I try to play the metronome before I record to get the pace into my head… then I just go wild! I’ll do my best to be more consistent. I’m going to try singing and recording this month…hopefully singing will help me keep pace better too. Thanks for your feedback.

cyberloh
    Participant

Thanks Andrew, I’ll keep practicing the hammer on and pull off. Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

ukuleleloo
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback and the tips on the pull off and hammer on, I’ll definitely add that to my practice.

I think my name is missing in the list for the KANILE’A ENTRIES.

Thanks. Happy Holidays!

robinboyd
    Participant

@ukuleleloo – it’s 14th and 15th from the bottom 🙂

ukuleleloo
    Participant

Thanks Robin!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi guys. I’m waiting on something special – so the video announcing the winner of the Taimane lesson and uke is on delay. Will release asap.

cyberloh
    Participant

Hi Andrew, the name planetfink appears 4 times in the list of Kanile’a Entries.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Good catch! Thanks for letting me know 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks for your patience everyone! The winner of the Taimane uke + lesson will be announced this Friday in our special end-of-year video 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 301 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.