Participate in the November 2018 Member Challenge – WIN Skype Lesson w/ Taimane!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2018 Member Challenge – WIN Skype Lesson w/ Taimane!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 301 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Kevin: “Does “Moon” have to be performed in low G to qualify (I didn’t see this mentioned anywhere above, but perhaps missed it)? I imagine it won’t sound quite right given the mood of the song, but I really want to learn this one!”

Yes, it will sound very off with high G.

I double checked with Mike from Uke Republic and he said it is okay to put low G on your high G uke:

“Sometimes they may need to file the nut but many times it fits fine. Choices they might consider if they just want a single low G – Fremont Soloist – no squeak, Aquila – Silver wound, Living Water, Fremont Fluorocarbon for those that prefer fluoro set in strings.”

zukulele

Thanks – I can’t sing at all 🙂

marni11
    Participant

Hey Andrew,
    I am more in the beginner stage, but I can’t play La Gitanita, because I only have a soprano ukulele for the harmonic tap. Is there any way that I can skip the harmonic tap without ruining the song, and that will also qualify for the challenge? I was hoping to enter theses challenges for that “special uke”, but I counldn’t last month for several reasons, and it’s hard for me to try to do ukulele songs that are a bit out of my ability.
    Thanks!
    Marni

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Marni, sure! You could also tap just the 12th fret of the A string or even easier, play the open A string in its place 🙂

robinboyd
    Participant

I have a question about the vibrato. Let’s take bar 4 for example. Should I do the vibrato (side to side) with the entire B minor chord, or should I just do the vibrato (up/down) on the B that is played on the G string?

Personally, while I think it would be ideal to play it for the entire chord, I really struggle to do it and I think it sounds good to just do it on the G string.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I’d add it to just the G string. 🙂

cinichol
    Participant

Andrew, is there any chance you’ll be including Ubass in these challenges at some point? I would so love that!

Andrew
    Keymaster

We did in our June Challenge 🙂 Will do again! Next Friday’s lesson is a full band track on Rockin’ Robin and we’ll release the U-Bass lesson on it probably in December.

Awesome. I practiced over an hour this morning, but now I need to go get this started. I’m excited for a new challenge! Thanks for the awesome music, lessons and inspiration!

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks Andrew

cinichol
    Participant

Alright! Thank you, Andrew.

cinichol
    Participant

As I’m about to start my second challenge here in Nov.(beginner), I’m wondering how much time to spend on the challenges vs. the lessons and other components of RockClass. I had been doing a combination of lessons and songs, then started the Oct. challenge, and found it absorbed all my attention for a month. Or I should say, the first hard chord change with pinky finger in The Walking Dead theme took all my attention!

I’m wondering how most students divide their time. I definitely need to work on timing and basic techniques, and I actually enjoy that, but it’s hard (for me) not to get a wee bit obsessed with a challenge.

Many appologies if this question is already answered somewhere. I did a quick review all around the site, but did not find this specific issue. I’m probably overlooking it!

ilovetoplayuke
    Participant

Andrew,
    Thanks for your help! I really excited that I can play without the harmonic tap! So I would play it like this:
    Open A string, Strum the A cord (with all fingers), open A string, Open A string, 3 fret open A string, 1 fret open a string?

lisadmh
    Participant

Cinichol, here’s a how to practice lesson. I think it says something on there about dividing your time. I too get a little obsessed with the challenges. I mostly do the challenge plus a little rotating through some previous challenges to keep a few songs fresh. I have maybe 8 our 10 songs I rotate through, but that’s maybe a quarter of my practice time. I’m not saying that as advice. I’m prolly not practicing right!

Practicing the Correct Way

robinboyd
    Participant

I have to disagree with Andrew on one point. He said that there are two types of people and that Rockclass101 isn’t really for the first type. However, I am definitely the first type, and I still get a lot out of the lessons here.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 301 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.