Participate in the November 2018 Member Challenge – WIN Skype Lesson w/ Taimane!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2018 Member Challenge – WIN Skype Lesson w/ Taimane!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 301 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

ilovetoplayuke, “3 fret open A string, 1 fret open a string”

If you mean 3rd fret, String 1 then 1st fret, string 1. Then, Yes. Correct.

cinichol
    Participant

@lisadmh Perfect! Thanks. I’ll review the clip.

cinichol
    Participant

@andrew So sorry for my many recent questions. Here’s a pretty dumb one: could I sub “St. James Infirmary” for the Nov. challenge? I really wanted to learn that, but spent all my time on pinky palooza in “Walking Dead” this month.lol

If you want everyone to be consistent, I certainly nderstand.

nggnmm
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

So excited to receive the Islander Ukelele !!!! It is gorgeous !!
    Really want to try out this new Uke and I found that this Moon is low-G song, and both my wife and I like it very much. However, since I am just beginner (level-0 :), I could only struggle and play the 1st theme.
    Thank you again for the gift and I will continue to learn and be better!

P.S. I heard that there are some ‘boom’ sounds for the low-G string, like the first note 🙁 but actually I already pay attention to pick this string softer, but still very often hear it. Is it normal? Do you have any suggestions? Thank you so much,

(just for fun, not for challenge)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by nggnmm.
    kanae926
    Participant

OMG, @nggnmm! Amazing start so early after the lesson was released. I’m pretty sure you’re clear of level zero with that kind of playing. 😉

I bet that uke is pretty awesome! Congrats and really nice job on the song so far. Can’t wait to see and hear the rest later next month!

robinboyd
    Participant

He nggnmm, that’s awesome, but are you sure your low too isn’t tuned an octave too low? You might want to check it.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by robinboyd.
    nggnmm
    Participant

Thanks a lot Kanae !! This song is too long for me, which is far beyond my current level. Guess it will take a year before I play the rest 🙂

Hi Robin, I have double checked the low-G string, it is indeed the standard low-G tone… I was also wondering what is the reason….

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by nggnmm.
    kanae926
    Participant

I know what you mean! I’m doing La Gitanita this month, but you’ve at least got a start on Moon if you wanted to keep going. It’s still impressive!

Andrew
    Keymaster

nggnmm, Robin is correct. You are tuned an octave too low. BUT SO COOL SHE IS SINGING WITH YOU. All caps, cause thats cool 🙂

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi nggnm,

I don’t know then, but that string certainly doesn’t sound right. It sounds way too low to my ears. I was playing along with you, and mine sounds very different (my video is still uploading, but you can have a listen when it’s done). I’m at about the same point you are, and I’m really going to push myself to get this done this month. I’ll try to upload videos of my progress as I master each theme.

Andrew
    Keymaster

The string is too low, you can see it vibrate wildly. Please tune it up an octave.

hotmilktea

hahaha, nggnmm you idiot ^_^

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by hotmilktea.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

hotmilktea, good to hear! Same thing is happening with nggnmm’s uke. If the G sounds way too deep and the string has too much play, i.e. lack of tension; those are signs that it is tuned an octave too low.

nggnmm
    Participant

Lol, after triple check, Yep. it is an octave lower…
    turning an octave higher, the booming issue is solved, now I can enjoy the low-G sounds, thanks everyone !!

Andrew
    Keymaster

nggnmm & hotmilktea – Are you guys married?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 301 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.