October 25, 2018 at 1:08 pm #19411
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #21 and this month we have a DOUBLE PRIZE! We are in for a special treat! Ukulele virtuoso, Taimane is teaming up with us for our November Site Member Challenge! As an added bonus, 1 lucky person that participates in our November Challenge will WIN a signed Islander ukulele, signed CD of her latest release, “Elemental”, AND a private Skype Lesson with Taimane!
Because of YOUR support, Rock Class 101 is celebrating our 5th anniversary on October 27th, 2018! It’s been an amazing journey and a tremendous honor to be a part of such a wonderful ukulele community; a community that feels much more like a family. Words cannot express how grateful I am to be able to pursue my dreams of composing, performing, and teaching. I truly feel blessed.
As a small token of my thanks, we are teaming up with Kanile’a Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a K-1 Premium Koa Concert Ukulele (includes: UkeCrazy Hardshell Case), retailing at $1789.
I am also beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 550+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 2 Rock Class 101 Lessons:
1) “Moon” by Taimane * – A hauntingly beautiful composition, this piece is an excellent study for the intermediate to advanced player as it focuses on developing fingerpicking technique, dynamics, and memorization/endurance (the performance clocks in at 4 minutes in length). * FREE TABS & Taught in its Entirety for FREE! Sign up for Basic Membership HERE to access the entire lesson for FREE.
2) “La Gitanita” * – Learn a traditional Flamenco piece that uses Picado and Rasgueado technique to create an authentic Spanish flair. * FREE TABS & Taught in its Entirety for FREE! Sign up for Basic Membership HERE to access the entire lesson for FREE.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner to Intermediate Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “La Gitanita”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Moon” by Taimane
3. Participation Goal: 75 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 2 pieces anytime between Thursday, November 1st till Friday, November 30th, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you access to the on-screen tab viewer. You can try the tab viewer for FREE HERE after signing up for Basic Membership.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
Giveaway Rules for Taimane Prizes:
There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing on December 7th, 2018. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
YOU MUST PERFORM “MOON”. Submitting an entry of “La Gitanita” WILL NOT qualify for this giveaway (submitting “La Gitanita” will ONLY qualify for an entry into the Kanile’a giveaway).
1) $150 Grand Prize! Includes:
B) Signed CD of her latest release, “Elemental”.
C) 30 Minute, 1 on 1 Skype Lesson with Taimane!
Giveaway Rules for Kanile’a K-1:
There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our October Challenge: Halloween Themed!
Second Chance: Participate in our November Challenge.
Third Chance: Participate in our December Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On December 24th, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize. You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of October and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
* To further clarify: Submitting a performance of either song WILL GAIN you an entry into the Kanile’a giveaway.
1) $1789 Grand Prize! Includes:
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE!
Body & FacePlate: PREMIUM KOA
FretBoard & Pin Bridge: ROSEWOOD
Head Stock: KANILE’A CROWN
Nut & Saddle: NUBONE
Tuning Keys: OPEN GEARED KANILE’A TUNERS
UV Finish: HIGH GLOSS
Strings: AQUILA SUPER NYLGUT (HIGH G)
Other Features: SAND INLAY ON FRETBOARD, INCLUDES UKECRAZY HARDSHELL CASE
THANKS TO TAIMANE AND OUR SPONSORS!
Connect with Taimane on:
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!October 25, 2018 at 1:09 pm #19412
SNEAK PEAK! Stay tuned for the release of our first Low G ukulele lesson on Taimane’s, “Moon” tomorrow! 🙂October 25, 2018 at 2:18 pm #19414kanae926Participant
OMG, so much wow. lol My eyes are spinning at all the jammed packed goodness. So awesome!
I’m still having trouble with Walking Dead that saying “this is a little out of my league” is a huge understatement. 😂October 25, 2018 at 2:41 pm #19416
I’m planning to go live 1/3 of the way through the month and will be answering all questions and helping you guys out on these 2 songs! I’ll create a post later on this and we’ll get it organized and a date on the books for it!October 25, 2018 at 2:59 pm #19417kayleighbMember
Ah!! I’ll be doing La Ganita this month as I don’t have a Low G uke…little bit gutted, but looking forward to getting stuck into the strumming and fingerpicking techniques which I’ve tried briefly in other challenges 😁October 25, 2018 at 5:44 pm #19424
Hi Kay, double checked with Mike from Uke Republic and he said it is okay to put low G on your high G uke:
“Sometimes they may need to file the nut but many times it fits fine. Choices they might consider if they just want a single low G – Fremont Soloist – no squeak, Aquila – Silver wound, Living Water, Fremont Fluorocarbon for those that prefer fluoro set in strings.”October 25, 2018 at 5:47 pm #19425kayleighbMember
Good to know! My uke is my baby (aside from my cat) so I’ll leave her as high G for now and at some point if I get another Uke I can play around with low G. Plus there is no one I’d trust locally to file the nut if it needed it. My next buy will hopefully be a Soprano so the one after that will be a low G 😁October 25, 2018 at 6:29 pm #19426lisadmhParticipant
Amazing prizes! I want low G So bad but level 3? Not sure, I might have to go for La Ganita. It’s pretty cool too. Another tough month but it’s worth it!!October 25, 2018 at 8:17 pm #19432zukuleleMember
The double prize is awesome! I’m really excited about the upcoming low G lessons. Quick question: Do I have to include the vocal part of Moon for it to count towards the challenge, or can I just keep playing?October 26, 2018 at 2:40 am #19450robinboydParticipant
Oh hey, I just listened to Taimane play moon on Youtube and apart from the length it actually seems quite manageable. I might give it a go!October 26, 2018 at 3:08 am #19451robinboydParticipant
And while I’m waiting for the lesson, I’ve been practicing the transition between Em and Bm to start it off 😉October 26, 2018 at 10:02 am #19454crazihippichicMember
Just listened to ‘Moon’. What a beautiful piece of music. Way too far over this beginner’s head, though. I think the length would do me in, if nothing else. I’d never remember all of that. But how awesome that we all have another prize to win. That’s sure to get everyone practicing even harder. 😍October 26, 2018 at 11:30 am #19468lisadmhParticipant
Tabs are posted now. It is indeed beautiful. Great job! But way too hard for clunky old me. Flamenco it is. Moon will go I my wish list for when I’m better.October 26, 2018 at 1:34 pm #19471
Glad you guys dig it 🙂
And Zion: “Do I have to include the vocal part of Moon for it to count towards the challenge, or can I just keep playing?”
No, optional.October 26, 2018 at 1:51 pm #19472kmeltonParticipant
Does “Moon” have to be performed in low G to qualify (I didn’t see this mentioned anywhere above, but perhaps missed it)? I imagine it won’t sound quite right given the mood of the song, but I really want to learn this one!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.