Participate in the November 2023 Member Challenge – WIN $935 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2023 Member Challenge – WIN $935 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    muzikmama
    Participant

Fantastic performance @abster. I enjoyed that. Such a gift you’ve got, playing it like it was a walk in the park.
    Great work and good luck everyone, as I consider the time and effort we spend learning, practicing and playing/recording these challenges.
    It’s been good to read Mika’s & Andrew’s advice and remarks, and know they aren’t robots and have to work at it too 😆.

dianna
    Participant

@Andrew – Challenge accepted! Of course, it may take awhile……I will continue to work on ‘Always With Me’ and post again when I feel it is performance ready 😁…..

@abster
    that was absolutely beautiful!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@Andrew That’s one thing we learned at music college, everyone would be so ready to get up and move and be done once the last note was played. But cutting it short takes away from the performance and makes it look like you want it to be over as soon as possible.

Hahaha!! For some reason, this description amuses me on multiple levels. I think because it’s so true. 😂😅

@Abster
    , that was absolutely incredible! Agreed with others who say you have a gift. You definitely do. I feel like he could be watching the movie while playing the song and not miss a beat. 😂 Beautifully done! 😊

muzikmama
    Participant

@The_Bumble_Bard That remark by Andrew resonated with me too and was a laugh out loud moment.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by muzikmama.
    marianne
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I was torn between Merry-Go-Round of Life and Always With Me for this month. I chose the first at first but then upon starting to learn it on my baritone, I quickly realized that it was actually impossible to play on the baritone given the enormous stretches and the distances on the fret board 😀

Always With Me was a big challenge on the baritone too as it made section C much harder and I also had to take the liberty to rewrite/interpret some of the melody and harmony notes so that it works with the low G without ringing too far off from the actual tune. Not very satisfied with the take (Section C is obviously weaker) but it is what it is given the constraints I accepted to set.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@muzikmama, haha! Same! 😂 That image is hilarious, but also that you know it’s true that many people do feel that with performing. That cracked me up big time. 😅😂

karenj
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is my November Challenge submission of Always With Me. What a lovely arrangement and such fun to learn! I was glad I had worked on the hammer-ons and pull-offs last month but this was still quite a stretch for me. This is the best of the million recording attempts, as I especially struggle with getting a clean recording with longer songs. I make mistakes in different places on each take. And of course there is that tricky D section that never is the way it sounds in my head. But here it is, mistakes and all. It’s been a busy few weeks but I am now looking forward to taking a look at everyone’s submissions. Happy Holidays to All
    Karen

anikali
    Participant

I am a Premium Member

I am still working very hard on Always with Me. It is a beautiful tune but unbelievably challenging. I am determined to get it to a more polished state, but with the deadline looming I am posting this work in progress. Many many takes were necessary, mostly due to my mishandling of the song, but also interruptions from my dog who could still hear the wailing of coyotes over my playing and wanted to join in! Cheers!

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by anikali.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@gstriph – Congrats on your retirement Jerry! The uke club sounds awesome! If you get any video from your first performance, please share it here 🙂

Performance was great! Double check the melody notes in bar 2 and keep chippin’ away at Melody B.

@janaq1
    – Bravo Jana! Brilliant performance. Pacing and feel were spot on. I’d say time well spent working on playing with the right touch.

At this point, there’s no obvious critiques to point out. All I can say is keep playing it, focus on the minor mistakes to iron them out, and keep doing what you’re doing b/c it’s working!

@marianne
    – Wow, Marianne such a beautiful rendition. I really like how it sounds on baritone and the reverb adds a nice warmth to the overall sound. Only thing I’d say is to keep working on that one section, but it doesn’t sound like it will take much work to bring it up to par with the rest of the piece. Really well done, great playing!

@karenj
    – You did so awesome, Karen! Great performance! My only suggestion is to memorize it so you can focus 100% on your playing. Try working on one section a day. Keep up the great work!

@anikali
    – You did amazing! It is a very challenging tune, but you played it with great feel and tone. As you continue practicing, work on one section a day. Focus on keeping the tempo steady. Start slow and gradually work it up to speed. Keep up the great work!

nelsonlin2021
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

Here’s my performance on Always With Me for this month’s challenge. Can’t seem to get a take without messing up but did my best. Any feedback appreciated. Thank you!

sarahd
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here’s Path of the Wind. I know there are hesitations and timing issues but my brain is on holiday already and refuses to memorise this one. 🙁 I also need to oil both my chair and my pinky finger apparently, sorry.

robinboyd
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

This is terrible. Nobody should watch it.

I just don’t have time to practice since starting this new job, but I’ve done what I could and since I’ve been working on it in what little time I had this month, I might as well upload what I’ve done so far.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by robinboyd.
    annemarie
    Participant

annemarie
    Participant

I am a Premium Member!

jayton
    Participant

Hi all,

Premium Member here.

Here is my try of Always With Me. I instantly needed to learn this song, when I saw it on Steven’s youtube channel 2 years ago. That performance blew my mind on how a Uke can sound (in capable hands) =).
    Luckily he simplified it a bit and I was finally able to learn it.
    The tip of my fingers hurt of al the attempts on getting an ok performance.

Super fun challenge, thanks!

Regards,
    Jay

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by jayton.
    • This reply was modified 5 months ago by Andrew. Reason: Embedded SoundCloud
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 191 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.