Participate in the November 2023 Member Challenge – WIN $935 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2023 Member Challenge – WIN $935 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    leb397
    Participant

@andrew thank you for your encouraging words. I’m like a kid waiting to hear your response 😁 Age doesn’t matter for encouragement. I’m probably older than your mother 😆 Much appreciated.
    The comments @dianna made are exactly how I feel “performance ready” and having to get a recording. RC is a platform that makes us push to improve. The amount of practice so many must be doing we could all go on vacation to a warmer location (23 degrees this morning). I’m so impressed each month. I see the improvement from members and learn from them too. It’s such a big part of my day. Thanks Andrew. You have created a wonderful site for us to share…. Louisa

leb397
    Participant

@dianna I was thinking about you when you responded about my technical issue. I had just read What you said to Andrew. It’s exactly how I feel. So well stated. You had a perfect entry and memorizing WAS such a challenge. Love the back drop. I said before I watched this with my grandkids and the train scene was cool going over the water.
    Ok tech issue. I record on iPad IMovie but it’s mov. I ran out of space in Dropbox which did convert to mp4. So finally used adobe. I’ve never been able to upload directly to YouTube and not sure if mov. File can be used (if not converted) on RC. If someone else has info. We can move this topic to tech thread on this site. Thanks for your suggestion. My fingers are taking a rest today 🎼😁

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, I just checked and Googlé said that .mov files can be uploaded directly to YouTube. I think as long as you’re able to upload to YouTube and share the link here, the file format shouldn’t matter to RC101 as long as it’s a YouTube link that you’re sharing. But then I don’t use many Apple products so I don’t know how you go about uploading to YouTube. If it’s similar to a Windows PC, you should just be able to go to the YouTube app or site and they have an option to upload the video and find the file there.

Anyway, so sorry you went through that! Your performance was very beautiful! You even nailed that tricky part that Steven said in the lesson, “I can’t even play it meself.” 😅 @dianna, your performance was also very lovely! We did it! All the other entries were crazy good, too! 😊

Agreed that some songs definitely take more than a month to perfect, or get close to perfection. Steven’s Always With Me is so beautiful that it’s worth continuing to play, fo’ shizz (for sure). 😅

leb397
    Participant

@the_bumble_bard so nice of you to check. But I’ll have to see if I can post that type file on RC.
    I’m going to continue working on Always with Me. It’s a keeper. 😁
    Btw saw a new member who loves claw hammer @firebladetim. Under latest posts – hello from CA 😎

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, ha, whoops I edited my post with a longer reply. @Andrew can confirm but I’m pretty sure as long as you’re able to upload the file format to YouTube, it should work here because all you’re doing is sharing a link to a video already uploaded there. Hehe, same! I’m going to keep practicing that one. 😊💕

Ha oh thanks! I’ll go bother them right away. 😉😂

leb397
    Participant

@the_bumble_bard you make me 😆🤣❤️

richo_uke
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi Andrew, RC 101 teachers and members,

here is my submission from PATH OF THE WIND for this month.

Even though the piece was not really difficult as it has a lot of repetitions, as usual I did not play it flawlessly.
    But this time I learned and also played it by memory, practiced a lot and above all played with the sound file.
    You might not notice it, but this way I discovered a lot of passages that I wouldn’t otherwise have had in the right timing.

Once again, my heartfelt thanks to the RC team for all the work you put into this site and into us.
    Best regards
    Rici

PS I have a question about the timing of this song and HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS. Both files say quarter note = 90. When I set my metronome to 90 it is way faster. Do I misunderstand something or is this an error in the files?

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by richo_uke.
    henri0
    Participant

Merry Go Round of Life

Working at being lighter of touch on this one! A good challenge for November 😎

abster
    Participant

I am a premier member

Please accept Abster’s entry for this lovely piece of music. He really enjoyed learning it. Thank you so much for keeping his interest in playing ukulele!!

Lastly praying for peace and humanity in these precarious time. Feel blessed that we are enjoying time together learning free from strife.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@dianna – Keep working on them after the challenge, you can always share an updated version. I;d be happy to watch it 🙂

@richo_uke
    – I’m def guilty of forgetting to update the tempos after the performances are recorded. Matt’s version is slower than 90, but with that song I’d be hesitant to put a tempo on it as he uses a lot of rubato.

Your performance was amazing! And side note – your audio and video quality were perfect for this tune. Love the lighting and backdrop! TY so much for the kind words!

@henri0
    – Great idea to focus on a light touch, if gave your performance of this tune an impeccable grace. Fantastic performance! My only tip is for the ending chord, after strumming it, hold it and let it sustain until it fades, then turn the camera off.

That’s one thing we learned at music college, everyone would be so ready to get up and move and
    be done once the last note was played. But cutting it short takes away from the performance and makes it look like you want it to be over as soon as possible.

@abster
    – Another incredible performance, Abhay! 👏

I have to say, his ability to play w/out looking is an incredibly valuable skill to have. It’ll come in handy when he takes the stage and performs for an audience as he’ll be able to look out and connect with them 🙂

abster
    Participant

So beautiful @dead buggy! Divine

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by abster.
    abster
    Participant

@andrew thank you Andrew! He will be much encouraged..

gstriph
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Time really creeped up on me this month. Melody A is certainly better than B… And I realized that I cut off the neck once I was done and it was uploaded… Sorry.

I have retired and moved to TN and (talk about the blind leading the blind) started a ukulele club (although to be fair, I can strum way better than playing instrumental pieces). We have 30 members (though about 12 regularly show up) and a few of us are going to perform some Xmas music at the beginning of an upcoming event — it will be my first time playing live in front of an audience (gulp!).

Jerry

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by gstriph.
    • This reply was modified 5 months ago by gstriph.
    janaq1
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hello everyone,
    for november challenge I have chosen Merry-Go-Round of Life. Surprisingly, I could remember it very easy. But all month I have tried to figure out the right preassure on strings to avoid buzzing and at the same time not to kill sustain. 😀 There is still much work on it. I would appreciate your advice and feedback.
    At this point, I hit my limits. But I think that a year ago I probably wouldn’t have been able to play it. So even though there are mistakes, I’m not sad. Looking forward to more great arrangements here on Rockclass101.

Thank you for listening.
    Jana

leb397
    Participant

@abster oh to be young and start playing at your age. So impressive and your ability to perform without seeing the strings. DON’T STOP wonderful job.
    We shall all wish for peace in our world.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 191 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.