November 1, 2023 at 4:01 pm #59270AndrewKeymaster
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #80! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a Oha KO-2 Ukulele! This concert sized model is crafted with Hawaiian Koa wood and retails for $935 USD. It is a brand new model released in August of 2023!
I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 4,000+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. And I offer feedback on ALL submissions! 🙂
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 RC101 Lessons:
1) Avatar: The Last Airbender * – In this medley, you’ll learn three Japanese-inspired compositions from the beloved television show Avatar: The Last Airbender.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
2) “Path of the Wind” * – Learn a beautiful composition from the critically acclaimed anime film, My Neighbor Totoro.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
3) “Always With Me” – Learn a beautiful composition from the critically acclaimed anime film, Spirited Away.
4) “Merry-Go-Round of Life” from Howl’s Moving Castle – Learn one of the most beautiful theme songs ever composed for an anime movie.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Don’t worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: Avatar: The Last Airbender
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Path of the Wind” [EASIER INTERMEDIATE], “Always With Me” [INTERMEDIATE], OR “Merry-Go-Round of Life” [ADVANCED]
3. Participation Goal: 75 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 RC101 pieces anytime between Wednesday, November 1st till Thursday, November 30th, 11:59pm ET.
The upload feature on the site only supports photos. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our October Challenge: RC101’s 10 Year Anniversary!
Second Chance: Participate in our November Challenge: Anime Songs!
Third Chance: Participate in our December Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On Christmas Eve (December 24th at 12 PM EST), I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele!
To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize.
You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of November and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
1) $935 Grand Prize! Includes:
OUR 9 PREVIOUS KANILE’A WINNERS! WILL YOU BE NEXT?
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED!
KO-2 Concert Ukulele
Solid Hawaiian Koa Front, Back, and Sides
Tortoise Binding on the Front and the Back
Pāua Abalone Rosette
Rosewood Fingerboard and Bridge
White Pearloid Logo and Position Marker Inlays
NuBone Nut and Saddle
Other Features: Includes a padded case
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!November 1, 2023 at 5:59 pm #59271brettboyParticipant
Fun Stuff! Thanks for the challenges Andrew.
(I was Avatar Aang for Halloween this year! In my opinion Avatar the Last Airbender is tied with Steven Universe as the best cartoon series ever made. I’d recommend it to anyone reading this no matter how old they are 🙂
I look forward to hearing folk’s play these lovely Uke tunes!November 1, 2023 at 8:21 pm #59275diannaParticipant
Ooooooooh, what fun immersing ourselves in the world of anime and practicing these amazing pieces. This weekend, I’m watching ‘Spirited Away,’……because I just love Steven’s ukulele rendition of ‘Always With Me,’….Good-luck everyone!
November 2, 2023 at 8:43 am #59278deadbuggyParticipant
- This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by dianna.
PREMIUM MEMBER who has been working on this since the lesson came out. I’m so glad it’s part of the challenge! I had to make an adjustment or two in the latter verse because of limitations on my left wrist post surgery. Also, many thanks to Steven for this lesson and for the laughs and encouragement — ‘See, even I can’t play it’November 2, 2023 at 9:52 am #59280wannabgoodParticipant
deadbuggy…what a beautiful rendition of this song. Nice work.November 2, 2023 at 11:58 am #59283The_Bumble_BardParticipantNovember 2, 2023 at 12:41 pm #59284annemarieParticipant
Beautiful, deadbuggy!November 2, 2023 at 1:25 pm #59285johanna2509Participant
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I am in love with all the Ghibli arrangements! Great job with Merry Go Round of Life too and welcome Mika 😊!
So here is Path of the Wind. Soo relaxing to play.
I am also working on Always With Me and I have Verse 1 and Chorus down but bars 43-46 are SO tricky! It is a really good challenge and after each practice session I feel like my fingers are getting stronger 😅. I hope I can post it this month too 😊.November 2, 2023 at 9:27 pm #59293AndrewKeymaster
@deadbuggy – I agree with everyone Sara, very beautiful! I like the adaptions you made too. One thing I wanted to mention is bar 40, it sounds like you omitted a beat there. May want to double check that measure.
@johanna2509 – Lovely performance, Johanna! And I love your Totoro pillow 🙂
The only thing I noticed that could use a look at is the 2nd note in bar 12 and 16. Sounds like you’re holding it longer than an 8th. May want to double check those 2 measures.November 3, 2023 at 3:53 am #59294johanna2509Participant
@Andrew Thank you! Oops, I see what you mean. Next time I double check the tab viewer before recording 😊.November 3, 2023 at 8:23 am #59296deadbuggyParticipant
Thank you all for the kind words — and yes, Andrew, that beat on Measure 40 went AWAL! Didn’t realize it until you mentioned it 🙂November 3, 2023 at 11:48 am #59298leb397Participant
Wow off to an amazing start @deadbuggy and @johanna2509. Beautiful. @the_bumble_bard I started to learn Always With Me. It’s just so beautiful to my ear but OMG this is a stretch for me. We shall see… currently struggling with INTRO bar 9 just getting my fingers to the Gm. Thank goodness for the “loop” tab player. Sometimes its a mind block for me till I work it out.
October challenge had amazing posts. Love to see the level where everyone is.
Thought I’d ramble between practice on this crisp fall day. Thanks again @andrew keeping me motivated with the challenges. Good luck everyone. Oh, nice to see new “names” and some old ones back! I feel I know you 😀👏👋November 3, 2023 at 12:11 pm #59299The_Bumble_BardParticipant
@leb397, NGL I am nervous, I haven’t even started learning it. 😅🥺 It does seem daunting, but I haven’t learned a Steven arrangement for a little bit and it’s just so pretty indeed. I’m trying to not only learn the beginner arrangements (or compulsively turn them into clawhammer as fun as I find that 😅), but try harder ones if I like them enough. The October entries were amazing, agreed, yours was very lovely as well. 😁
@johanna2509, very prettily played! Prettily … That word doesn’t seem right but it is. 😅 Beautiful job! 😊
Even as an adult I continue to be creeped out by the Totoro creature a bit. 😅
November 4, 2023 at 8:12 pm #59310jbmills07Participant
- This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by The_Bumble_Bard.
@deadbuggy as always, your performance was a joy to listen to and watch! I also want to perform, “Always With Me”, and I have dabbled, but it is a hard song, and you did amazing!
@johanna2509 such a beautiful performance! Well done! You played it was so much feeling.
I missed last month so I want to try and make up for it by doing more than one entry this month, however I ask to not be entered into the current seasons drawing for the Kanile’a. My first entry is for the Avatar medley. It was really cool to do this one because it’s one of the first Rockclass101 songs I attempted but could never quite get. So, coming back to it and tackling it again was rewarding! Still could improve obviously lol, but I noticed improvements for sure!
@The_Bumble_Bard I look forward to your submission, any chance you would consider doing a before and after? An early video and then one toward the end of the month with more practice time? No pressure!! lol
November 5, 2023 at 1:52 am #59312
- This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by jbmills07.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.