Participate in the October 2018 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile'a Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2018 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile'a Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 270 total)
  • Author
    houmar
    Participant

I’M A PREMIUM MEMBER

First ever submission and first ever recording! enjoy! 🙂
    what a great challenge, looking forward to improve over the course of the next few challenges!

Happy Halloween Everyone

john21403
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

My first submission. Hope it’s okay.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by john21403.
    ourmaninjapan
    Participant

Hi Andrew. Here’s my entry for the Halloween challenge. I’ve never watched The Walking Dead but what a cool, haunting little tune. Then I listened to the original them – wow, so fast! Anyway, it was a good chance to learn about picado – thank you.

hlglazi
    Participant

Thanks for letting me know my video didn’t work!

becky7777
    Participant

I AM A BASIC MEMBER

Beginner level– Walking Dead Theme- October Contest Entry
    Happy Anniversary Rock Class 101! and Happy Halloween Everyone!

Soundcloud account conformation does seem to be down. If you can’t confirm your account you can’t upload there. I haven’t tried to see if I can put a custom sound track on a video. I am not even sure what I can edit video with yet for YouTube, so this month is just audio. I’m not sure I have time to learn video editing before the deadline!

The only modifications to the recording are: I normalized the track to boost the volume. (my ukulele is very quiet, especially when fingerpicking) I added Audicity’s default reverb setting. It sounds like I’m in a big room rather then a stuffy tiny one plunking away lol.

Google drive link for now, until soundcloud gets its act together:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Vb8BSyEbAoCSdHYgj6ZlprsB8z2l2am/view?usp=sharing

I just realized I messed up and played a chord one too many times! (Might be modifying the entry.) I’m not happy with the strum sound either. I’ve been practicing this tune daily. I tried to keep it in time to the best of my ability. Used fingerpicking rather then a pick, tried to implement as many tips as I could, shared in the video, I even took notes but recording seems to make it all harder lol.

miztaken
    Participant

@becky7777 I love the giant room sound!
    It is like you are the Pied Piper playing for and enticing the dead into the room.

becky7777
    Participant

Hlglazi- try kanae926’s suggestion, I don’t have a clue how to upload there. Hope you get it sorted out!

@miztaken- You’re so sweet thank you. I ended up getting an inexpensive suction cup pickup and an adapter to plug directly into my laptop so I can record. The adapters stick out about 6″ so I can see why plugging in directly is frowned upon! If I run off connected I can easily destroy my laptop lol! It beats the AWFUL frying sound I had from my microphones though!

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I had a hard time playing The Walking Dead theme. Probably because of the transition. Glad I was able to make it through the whole piece before the month ends.

ukukelley1
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here’s my recording of St. James Infirmary. I love playing this song…. Why does hitting the record button make my playing sound less like music?! 😉

Great arrangement, Evan. Great teaching, as always, Andrew. And great contest. Thanks!!!

Sheryl

der-binni

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is my first submission.
    Thanks for the contest!

lyndallk
    Participant

I’m having a second go at St James Infirmary. On the tenor uke this time. I’m so with Sheryl – why does the record button interfere with my playing so thoroughly. That said bar 46 is a mess, and I will continue to work on it.

Andrew, and Stephen I find your feedback on everyone’s submissions very useful. Thanks so much.

I’m looking forward to the November challenge. Going to give Moon a try. I’m away most of Nov so will only have my High G sop uke. But I figure I’ll practice on that and come home to the Low G tenor….

Cheer
    Lyndall

peropata
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is my submission. I didn’t practice as much this month, so I had to submit a little ruff version, with quite a few mistakes. I will keep on practicing and hopefully get better in time.

rickeymike
    Participant

Great Job, Robert! What size ukulele is that. Beautiful sound.

rpina61
    Participant

Hi Rickeymike,

As a lot of people comment, funny how your playing always seems to get worse when you hit the record button! 😂 But thanks for the compliment!

The uke is a tenor, mango wood body, from Mele Ukulele on Maui. The strings are Aquila Reds which I just love.

Cheers, good luck, and Happy Halloween.

Robert

stevenflautner
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi there I am not sure If I’m the only one but I liked Bad Moon Rising for this challange.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 270 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.