Participate in the October 2018 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile'a Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2018 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile'a Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 270 total)
  • Author
    brettboy
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words Uke-Friends! The muppet is named Chomp-a-Chomp. He has been with me nearly 15 years now. An artist who made the bizarrely amazing “showbeast” puppet show (check it out on on youtube!) made Chomp’ for me 🙂 He lost his eye some years back and I never bothered to reattach it… so giving him a patch was the least I could do.

I didn’t realize that we have to write “I’m a premium member.” It seems like Andrew would already know who is and who isn’t. But, for what it’s worth… I am one! (and I covet the PRIZE!!! 😉

pauvaliente
    Participant

There’s a really high level among the participants!
    Congratulations to everyone.

mheiden
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I had fun learning this song. I used a different fingering on the A flat minor but it was comfortable. The pause before the rasgueado strum was intentional. During practice I played around with different tempo and volume changes but recording video…I kept making errors doing that.

rickeymike
    Participant

Hey Guys,

I just had to relate to you a dishearteningly funny story. I just came back from my next door neighbor’s. I asked them to listen to Walking Dead, but I didn’t tell them the name. I wanted feedback on how they were feeling while listening. I changed up the tempo quite a bit. So while I was playing their little 6 year old boy said it sounded like a western, then half way through he said it sounded horror (yea!). His dad said western and his mom said it sounded like “Starry, Starry, Night”. Woe is me. ha.

lisadmh
    Participant

Lol Rickey. Kudos for playing for others. Starry starry night would be great to learn – and you’ve got it already!

P.s. You’re ahead of me if you have a tune. Mine mostly sounds like a mixture of notes and dead strings at this point. Sigh!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by lisadmh.
    rickkhan
    Participant

Hey Andrew and team,
    Here is my 1st submission for the challenge. St. James Infirmary. Love this arrangement. Would love feedback. I’m a premium member.

Rick
    DaKhanKine

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by rickkhan.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by rickkhan. Reason: trying to embed video from YouTube
    rickeymike
    Participant

Too Good, Rick. Your hard work shows.

rickkhan
    Participant

Thanks Rickey 🙂
    I started learning the Uke 6 years ago this month when I turned 40. ROCKCLASS101 is awesome!
    Rick

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

I’m working on the Walking Dead Theme, and you talked about alternating between the middle and index finger when plucking the A string repeatedly but you just use your thumb when plucking the G string repeatedly. I was wondering if there is a reason for doing this over alternating between your thumb and your index finger.

Robin

Andrew
    Keymaster

Robin, it decreases movement if you keep your thumb in position to play string 4, instead of dropping down multiple strings, then going back up to 4.

rickkhan
    Participant

I’M A PREMIUM MEMBER 🙂 (Forgot to put that on it’s on line)
    Started working on the challenge etude. Sounds so cool. Trying it with a low-G and bit slower. I find that it gives it a deeper, darker sound.

Any Thoughts?

nggnmm
    Participant

focusing on holding the Uke steady this month, but the ghost keep me and the camera shaking a bit

rickkhan
    Participant

Nice Job Brett! love the video and it sounds super creepy.

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks Andrew. I admit that I’ve naturally gravitated to alternating between the fingers, but I’ll try to just use the thumb and see how I go.

Robin

annefgodfrey
    Participant

Andrew, at this point, my heart’s desire is simply to learn St. James Infirmary with some degree of smooth transitions. So far, a disaster not to mention, at 75, have I lost all “muscle memory”!

Complicating the issue is my husband’s recent heart attack. He is doing well but I would be grateful for Rock classmates’ prayers for my husband.

Question: I am practicing like crazy. To learn this piece has become an obsession. May I keep working & give you my best…even if a complete mess, rather than changing selection “mid-stream”?

Thanks for such a great experience enjoying Rock Class 101. Best wishes to all! Anne

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 270 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.