Participate in the October 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a CUSTOM Kanile’a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a CUSTOM Kanile’a!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 303 total)
  • Author
    rickeymike
    Participant

Lisa, thanks for the incouragement. I didn’t think of comparing then vs now. ha.
    Beautiful rendition of SOS. Maybe add a little bit more slow down with some sustain in a part like: E-c-h-0, the_sound_of_Si_lence…… I think you actually did that at the end.

Ripley, you and me both with the “dodgy pinkie”. Nicely done. Haven’t seen The Shining since it scared me at the theater many decades ago so don’t remember the carpet. But your work is beautiful.

ripley
    Participant

@Rickeymike – haha! Yes, the pinky that missed its target. I did have other recordings where I hit that note clearly but they had other errors so this was the ‘least-worst’ lol! I liked the spooky flashing light in your video 🙂
    Thank you for your kind words about my blanket. It took a long time to make mainly because I got bored repeating the same pattern over and over and sewing the segments together, so I kept putting in down in favour of other projects, but I was pleased with it once I finished! It’s looking a bit tired now because my kids and cats keep poking their fingers and paws through the holes.
    Here’s a reminder of the carpet from the movie though you could always do a rewatch 🙂 It’s one of my favourite scary movies and has stood the test of time.

The Shining - Danny sitting on the carpet

rickeymike
    Participant

REDRUM!

brettboy
    Participant

Thanks Stephen!
    I can hear what you’re saying. I love playing it blistering pace but the timing gets more “improvisational (re: “sloppy”) and I hit odd notes or play things out of order. But I recently reached a point where if I play the arrangement at 1/2 speed I can totally keep the beat steady throughout including all the transitions. I will keep grinding on it because I want this one to stick in my long term memory.

Andrew
    Keymaster

rickeymike – Here is my feedback for you 🙂

lisadmh – Here is my feedback for you 🙂

ripley – Beautiful playing! I think you’ve got it down really well 🙂

One thing I’d start thinking about, is adding a little bit of dynamics to your playing. For example, playing some parts softer and others louder. Check out Matt’s live lesson from a few months ago. It provides a really good introduction to this concept.

And I dig the shirt, but it has to be a costume 🙂

ripley
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback @Andrew, I’ll go over the dynamics lesson 🙂

robinboyd
    Participant

@rickeymike – I love the slide used to start the piece. I might incorporate that in mine.

rickeymike
    Participant

Many thanks, Andrew. I’m going to loop and push through the next week. And boy did you hit it when you made the analogy with weight lifting. This is exactly what I say to my class over and over again.

Thanks, Robin. That beginning slide was the very first thing that I incorporated.

lisadmh
    Participant

Woo-hoo! Thanks Andrew. It’s easy to lose sight of progress when playing over and over and over again. I appreciate the positive feedback and am motivated by it.

Onward and upward.

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure!

surfnrz

First of all, I LOVE Halloween! I directed a stage production of The Rocky Horror show for the past couple of weeks, so I decided to film my submission onstage before the show tonight, I forgot the fog and I wanted a cleaner performance but I had to get it done before too many people arrived. So here is my submission for this month. Thanks to Andrew for an amazing arrangement. I’ve really enjoyed everyone’s submissions this month. I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

ripley
    Participant

Beautiful playing surfnrz!

surfnrz

Thanks @ripley! Great job on yours. That blanket is the bomb!

fred21

I’M A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hello I’m Frédérica, I’m french and it’s my first post in here.I worked Helen’s theme from Philip Glass’s pieces. Sorry for the noise of my leather strap with my uku.

It’s a very hard exercice because when I’m playing without recording it’s pretty ok. But when I’m recording…oh la la I get scared and nervous so I’m making sooo much mistakes. That’s why I prefer soundcloud without video 🙂

Here is my participation :

Thank you

ripley
    Participant

Aw, thanks @surfnrz
    I hope the Rocky Horror show(s) went well 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 303 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.