Participate in the October 2023 Member Challenge – WIN $935 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2023 Member Challenge – WIN $935 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    deadbuggy
    Participant

PREMIUM MEMBER who loves these original pieces with the band!

leb397
    Participant

@deadbuggy very nice. I like the emotion in this song. Well done. Louisa

Andrew
    Keymaster

@deadbuggy – Bravo Sara! You were locked in tightly with the band! Excellent playing 🙂

misterbones
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I picked Little Trouble in Big China this month. Really like everything about this tune, the use of the exotic scale and time signature, the way how it builds up drama and releases again, the combination of solo licks, arpeggios and strumming, my only gripe is that it’s too short 🙂
    Anyway, when I started practicing this song and arrived at the 32nd note speed lick, I thought, how lucky I did the syncopated speed picking etude last month, which set me up perfectly by teaching me exactly the alternating thumb/index technique I needed for this lick. So here you go:

rebeca
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hrllo everyone! Here’s my submission. I love this relaixing tune.
    Btw: Any advice to improve the accuracy of quick slides? I randomly go to the wrong fret and it doesn’t seem to get better with repetition.

marianne
    Participant

I’M A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is Into The Wild! what a beautiful composition @Andrew and lovely backing track @AJ!

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by marianne.
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Absolutely amazing entries so far! Really just crazy good. 😯🤯

dianna
    Participant

@TBB I agree!…and also so inspiring….as much as I learn from this site and our wonderful teachers, I also learn from the other students.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@dianna, agreed 100%!! So inspiring and encouraging. I’m pretty convinced that I’d still be floundering trying to learn Bach from uketabs.com (or whatever it’s called) without Rock Class 101, the teachers and students here. So much talent in one place, it’s crazy. 😂💕

misterbones
    Participant

@rebeca: Beautiful rendition! Re your question about slide accuracy: Matt actually gave a hint about this in the syncopated speed picking tutorial I did last month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExncDKt0Kqo&t=452s
    His advice is to increase the pressure as you approach the target fret, so the finger digs in and the fret wire acts as a barrier and stops the finger, which makes it less likely to overshoot.
    Other than that, this is probably not the advice you were hoping for, but in my experience, if repetition doesn’t help, then the only thing that will do the trick is even more repetition.
    Also, the usual advice applies: take it slow, play it in super-slomo ten times in a trow without mistake, then increase the speed ever so slightly and try again ten times in a row without mistake, and so on.
    And maybe most importantly: don’t sweat it, give it a rest, practice something else, come back to it later. Sometimes things suddenly just click after a while of doing something entirely different.

rebeca
    Participant

@misterbones – I’ll watch the lesson thank you!
    I really appreciate your tips because I can see you are a methodical learner and you talk from experience.
    I’ll try to be more patient while practising. Maybe that’s the key: starting from the begining practising slowly and focusing on the technnique itself.
    Amazing performance btw 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by rebeca.
    misterbones
    Participant

@rebeca: Thanks! In the link I posted above, I actually linked it at the exact time stamp (about 7:30 into the video) where Matt actually messes up the slide himself and then talks about how to fix it. So no need to watch the whole thing if you’re particularly interested in that bit only.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@misterbones – Wow, Michael! These last few band tunes you’ve done, I’ve heard big improvements from your earlier work in regards to being locked in tightly with the band. Amazing progress you’ve made! Keep up the excellent work!

@rebeca
    – Beautifully played Rebeca!

@marianne
    – That was amazing Marianne! You rocked it! 🙂

rebeca
    Participant

@Misterbones – I’ve been warching it. I’ll try to put it into practise. Thank you!

@Andrew
    – Thank you 🙂

marianne
    Participant

Thanks @Andrew!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.