Participate in the October 2023 Member Challenge – WIN $935 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2023 Member Challenge – WIN $935 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@Andrew, thank you so much! That’s so nice to hear. I still hope I can learn the strumming with the miss strums, but that’s going to take a while to integrate into my brain and hands. 😅 I feel like I can already play the solo better than that, maybe I should try rerecording it, but I will try practicing it again that way. 😂 Thank you very much again! 😊

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 5.

@lhamilton
    – Wow Linda! That was amazing! Super tight playing with the band and excellent tone! Only thing I can suggest it to watch out for unwanted string noise, such as 40 seconds into your video. As you move down to the bottom strings to play the lick, try to mute the top strings with the palm of your right hand to prevent them from ringing out.

@leslieb
    – Bravo Leslie, you nailed the peaceful feel/vibe. Only thing I can suggest working on is the couple parts where you slowed down a little. Try to target those areas in your practice to keep the tempo steady throughout.

@denisedistefano
    – Excellent performance, Denise! Timing was excellent as well as feel. One tip: When you pick, I can see you retract a bit of distance from the strings. Try to minimize it and stay a little closer. That’ll increase fingerpicking efficiency, especially with fast tempo-d tunes.

@rgillof
    – Picking tone is sounding very sweet to the ear now, Richard. Great work on that front. Overall, very nicely played. I would just practice at a slower tempo, especially the big jump slide parts, to focus on keeping it a bit more steady throughout. Also, don’t forget to tune before recording, sounded like the G string was a lil off. And TY for the kind words!

@morrieuke1
    -You nailed the pentatonic lick, very impressive! Great performance Michael 🙂

@noemie
    – Bravo Noemie! Excellent playing!

@june2020
    – Excellent playing, June! You’ve got the rhythms down. You start a lil early on some of them, but it works! It sounds like your own creative variations 🙂

@nelsonlin2021
    – Well done on the timing for each melody section, Nelson. For the rhythm part, jump back into the lesson and work through that section with me. Practice really slow at first. That’s the main thing I would suggest working on. Overall, great job hanging with the band!

@jgillard
    – Well you fooled me, didn’t sound last minute to me! It was awesome, Jeremy! And great job on those pentatonic licks 🙂

@dorabr
    – Very well played, Dora! Techniques sound great! The thing I’d work on is tempo. Try to keep it steady throughout, except in measure 10. Which is the rit./fermata section – which you aced!

@ccwuke
    – Beautiful performance, Chris!

lhamilton
    Participant

Wow! Thanks, Andrew! It was a lovely piece and really fun to play.

Linda

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 6.

@nat-uke
    – Perfect performance, Natalie! Very beautifully played 👏

@potter
    – Such a lovely performance, Jen! Great job on the techniques 🙂

@ukandrea
    – Beautiful performance, Andrea! Well done!

@richard_siegert
    – Nicely played, Richard! I think you’ve got a great base established. Watch out for rushing the hammer-ons in the opening 2 bars. We want to hear evenly spaced 8th notes throughout except for the last note, which is a quarter note.

Try playing those two bars without the h/o’s and p/o’s then add them back in (like the video below).

@karenj
    – Beautifully played Karen! Great feel and the techniques were spot on! And TY for the kind words 🙂

@annemarie
    – Great playing, Anne! Well done on all 3 techniques! The only thing I’d recommend working on is tempo. Try working on one melody at a time with a focus on keeping the tempo steady throughout.

@joe150
    – Very nice playing, Joe! I’d like you to try memorizing the next piece you submit. That way you can focus 100% on your playing.

@dianna
    – That was awesome, Dianna! And I love the video backdrop! There’s two areas I’d focus your practice on. The first is the pentatonic lick and the second is the second half of Theme 2. For the lick, try playing along with Evan in the tab player. See if you can match him perfectly before trying it on your own.

For the second half, try practicing that section slower and gradually work it up to speed. I’m hearing a bit of unwanted string noise which I think is the result of playing faster than you’re ready for.

@kaski85
    – Excellent performance Luke! Well done!

@janaq1
    – Bravo Jana! Such passion and feel in your playing. Absolutely beautiful! And TY for the kind words, I really appreciate it 🙂

leslieb
    Participant

Thank you Andrew. Congratulations on a wonderful 10 years helping all of us. I practiced with the player but need to get over the initial angst I have trying to keep up with it. Yes, I slow it down and know it’s a great tool. I need to practice building up muscle memory and speed.

Life is good and thank you,
    Leslie

annemarie
    Participant

Good advice as always, Andrew.
    Will do!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 7.

@lynnzo
    – You played it beautifully, Lynn! Techniques sounded great too! For the nerves, try recording your practices. That’ll get you used to being in front of the camera. And then when you go to record the performance, hit record at the start of practicing/warming up. When it comes time to do the take you use, the nerves should be a lot less than if you just hit record and start playing.

I did a similar idea for gigs. I’d always start with 2 or 3 easy songs. By the time the 4th song rolled around, I would be comfortable and way less nervous on stage.

@wannabgood
    – Wow, Michael! I’m really impressed with how well you are playing in such short time. Def keep doing what you’re doing, it’s working!

@richo_uke
    – Beautifully played, Rici! You aced all of the melodies. If I have to really nitpick, the rhythm could be a little bit tighter in SOME parts of the strumming section. Key word, some lol.

Keep practicing with a pick! It’s a great skill to have up your sleeve. And TY for the kind words, I really appreciate it 🙂

@concan
    – Great performance, Conny! I think a lil more practice will bring Melody B up to the same tempo as Melody A. Doesn’t sound like it will take much work. Great job overall on the techniques and performing with such a lovely feel.

@jody_hendrickson
    – That’s awesome to hear you used transcribe. It’s such a great learning tool!

I thought you did really well with showcasing the different feels in both melodies. You nailed the subtleties like the troubling urgency in the 2nd half of Theme 2 and playing the pentatonic licks with more gusto than the rest of Theme 1. Keep up the great work!

@jayton
    – Very well played, Jay! Techniques sounded great! The thing I’d work on is tempo. Try to keep it steady throughout, except in measure 10. Which is the rit./fermata section.

And I look forward to hearing your performance in next month’s challenge since it’s anime themed 🙂

@kdeacon7
    – Beautifully played, Kelly! The one lick I’d work on is the one in measure 6. It’s a toughy! Try slowing it down in the tab player and looping it with AJ. Try to match his rhythm.

I also heard you start a lil early on some of the phrases. So I’d also recommend playing along with him and even counting as you go. That always helps 🙂

@sarahd
    – I can visualize that same imagery when I hear you play Sarah. It was a lovely take 🙂

@kirpuff
    – Great to see you back, Sara! Playing sounds like you haven’t missed a beat. Very beautiful!

@maryjanew
    – I thought you nailed it MJ! I went back to listen to the old one and wow the difference is huge! A testament to how much you are growing as a musician. And I LOVED hearing you count out loud in the new take. That helps so much! Keep up the excellent work, I’m very impressed!

@ksapp92
    – Great to see you back, Kelby! Well done on all 3 techniques! I remember your first videos. Your feel on the instrument has improved so much. Lovely tones and playing 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED THIS MONTH! WE HAD 56 MEMBERS PARTICIPATE! YOU GUYS ROCK!

I was BLOWN AWAY by how amazing everyone did! Big round of applause to everyone who participated this month. 🙂

Hope to see y’all in our November Challenge!

Here is a list of everyone who earned an entry for the giveaway. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

—-

katazumiri
    katazumiri
    suekulele
    suekulele
    deadbuggy
    deadbuggy
    misterbones
    misterbones
    rebeca
    rebeca
    marianne
    marianne
    musiclover
    musiclover
    johanna2509
    johanna2509
    mark1256
    mark1256
    clempek
    clempek
    jojoba
    jojoba
    shmu88
    shmu88
    leb397
    leb397
    barbecueblack
    barbecueblack
    anyon1
    anyon1
    ldarrow
    ldarrow
    brettboy
    brettboy
    muzikmama
    bibilele
    bibilele
    akukes73
    akukes73
    gstriph
    gstriph
    rafaela
    rafaela
    The_Bumble_Bard
    The_Bumble_Bard
    yukalele
    yukalele
    lhamilton
    lhamilton
    leslieb
    leslieb
    denisedistefano
    denisedistefano
    rgillof
    rgillof
    morrieuke1
    morrieuke1
    noemie
    june2020
    june2020
    nelsonlin2021
    nelsonlin2021
    jgillard
    jgillard
    dorabr
    ccwuke
    ccwuke
    nat-uke
    nat-uke
    potter
    potter
    ukandrea
    ukandrea
    richard_siegert
    richard_siegert
    karenj
    karenj
    annemarie
    annemarie
    joe150
    joe150
    dianna
    dianna
    kaski85
    kaski85
    janaq1
    janaq1
    lynnzo
    lynnzo
    wannabgood
    wannabgood
    richo_uke
    richo_uke
    concan
    concan
    jody_hendrickson
    jody_hendrickson
    jayton
    jayton
    kdeacon7
    kdeacon7
    sarahd
    sarahd
    kirpuff
    kirpuff
    maryjanew
    maryjanew
    ksapp92
    ksapp92

dianna
    Participant

Thank-you @Andrew! As always, you are spot on and I have my work cut out for me!😁

lynnzo
    Participant

Thank you Andrew for taking the time to watch. I’ll try recording practices and see if that works.

maryjanew
    Participant

@Andrew – Thanks for the encouragement! I’m a slow learner, but at least I can see that I’m learning and improving! I am getting a bit better at practicing with the tab viewer too!😜 – MJ

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by maryjanew.
    jody_hendrickson
    Participant

Thank you for the encouraging words, Andrew, I very much appreciate your kind feedback. I agree about Transcribe, and really liked using to try different track speeds, and to be able to export the new tracks. Will def be using it again!

denisedistefano
    Participant

Thanks @Andrew for the kind words. I will work on keeping my picking fingers closer to the strings in the future. Thanks for the tip!

richard_siegert
    Participant

Hey Andrew, thanks a lot for your comment and your short viedo!! I will continue practicing that song 😀

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure y’all! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.