Participate in the September 2018 Member Challenge – Fingerpicking Themed!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the September 2018 Member Challenge – Fingerpicking Themed!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Wonderful playing, Maureen! The only suggestion I have for you was the same as for Lisa. Which was to try to lighten up the picking attack, which should produce a softer, sweeter tone. Give that a shot and let me know if you hear a difference 🙂

rickeymike
    Participant

Nice crisp play, Maureen.

Andrew, I’ve been practicing all month on your etude 13 and I’ve just discovered that I didn’t follow directions, on the ending bars, I did a slide from 3 to 2 on the A string then plucked. May I keep doing it that way? And on the ending chord, I used fingers ring(10), index (7) middle (9), open G. It seems easier to me…………………………………….I couldn’t help myself on that facebook post just a while ago. I tried to make a positive statement although my mind was working in the other direction. ha.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Rickey, if you dig the sound of that change, totally fine with me! And the fingering is fine, whichever fits your playing style best and feels most comfortable.

marni11
    Participant

Here is my entry!! I was able to enter this challenge, and memorize it this time. Yay!!!

lyndallk
    Participant

Here is my submission for “Shadow Land”

ellbo99

First ever challenge entry for me. This was a fun one to try and play – I thought I’d make a bit of a progress video…

rickeymike
    Participant

Love the progression videos. Going great!

annefgodfrey
    Participant

Hi Andrew!

Again, I seem to have a great deal of trouble attempting to download link. Thanks for help. Prayers for all affected by hurricane Florence.

deadbuggy
    Participant

I really love learning these etudes, so I’m throwing in another video for this month’s challenge. As usual, I’ve taken my hands off the wheel in parts but I think that’s the brilliance of Andrew’s compositions; they really tap into my creative, if not technical execution, juices!

kanae926
    Participant

Wow! That was so beautiful! I love that some members are able to make variations and put their own flare into the arrangements making it unique. Some day, I hope to be able to do that. 🙂

Thanks for posting your video, deadbuggy! Well done.

kmelton
    Participant

Here’s my submission for the September challenge. Great playing everyone!

strizaldo
    Participant

My attempt at etude #13!

(I’m not sure if the video is attached 🙁 )

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by strizaldo.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by strizaldo.
    mheiden
    Participant

Deadbuggy, how long have you been playing?
    I really enjoy your variations as well.

deadbuggy
    Participant

Thank you…how nice of you to say!

I’ve played stringed instruments since I was about 13 — and I have an AARP card now. I started out playing 5-string bluegrass banjo in junior high (that’s middle school for all you non-olds out there). The good news was that it taught me all about slides and pinches and hammer-ons and pull-offs. The bad news was that I never understood the melodic principal behind the entire instrument…namely that your thumb tends to play the melody. As such I was terrible then and can only choke out about three songs on a banjo now.

I bought an acoustic guitar in college and have basically been self-taught ever since with the exception of a blues guitar class several years ago at my local parks & rec. I got into the uke about five years ago but have taken to it pretty seriously in the last few months. I find the instrument enables me to play so many different styles of music and it’s easier for me to do so on the uke than on the guitar.

The challenge I have as a self-taught player is that I have a host of Bad Habits and Limitations (which will be the name of my first album!). I should post a video of me trying to do the proper fingering on the Eeerie Etude Andrew posted a couple of weeks ago. It’s an absolute train-wreck because my banjo-playing thumb wants to go all over the place.

A long way of saying that if I deviate from something, it’s probably because I struggle with the proper way to do it and rather than get frustrated with a song I really want to play, I just…improvise!

Folks here who are new to stringed instruments are going to learn to be such fantastic musicians because Andrew and Co teach the correct way…not my slap-dash way 🙂

ellbo99

I’ve finally watched all the videos on here,there are some great versions, really good to hear.

I enjoyed this one and it kept me focussed.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.