Participate in the September 2018 Member Challenge – Fingerpicking Themed!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the September 2018 Member Challenge – Fingerpicking Themed!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    vidafntn
    Participant

Hi, Andrew,

Here is my submission for this month. Once again, I am only entering for fun, not to win anything. Fingerpicking Etude #14

s_nichole
    Participant

This is the first time participating in any member challenge! I’m so nervous, ha!

Andrew
    Keymaster

marni11, beautiful playing! I loved your performance 🙂 I only have one suggestion for you, and that is that I noticed your pinky finger sometimes was fretting the note sideways, instead of on the fingertip. So you just want to watch out for that. Actually, I think this was the same point I made for another member earlier in this challenge, if you want to backtrack and read the advice I left for him too.

lyndallk, well done Lyndall! Great groove throughout the performance and an awesome execution of the barrel strum!

ellbo99, I love the progress video Dave! I thought you did very well and I’m sure Stephen would agree! So one thing that stuck out to me, is that sometimes it looks like your attack is very strong, for example: 1:30-1:37. I think the idea behind your playing here is to end strong or on a climax, which is cool! We can alter the dynamic (volume) to add expression. But, it looks like you were getting stiffer in both hands during this section. Try to practice with more looseness in the hands, but still focus on building the dynamic. It should make it easier to play and sound a bit more natural that way.

annefgodfrey, very pretty Anne! I like the lighter touch approach, it’s very subtle and works well for this tune. Your form looks great on both hands, the only thing I would work on is to eliminate some of the pauses between phrases. The best way to do that is to follow our practice advice for the transition bars where you are pausing. But very well done, keep up the great work!

deadbuggy, so cool! Here are my thoughts on your changes 🙂

kmelton, loved it! Great speed and clarity in your notes! Keep up the good work!

strizaldo, very well played, bravo! The only suggestion I have, and this is my opinion b/c the interpretation of music is always up to the performer, you… To me, it sounds like you are prematurely cutting the melody notes on the A string short. And I have no idea how to explain this in text, so here is a video:

vidafntn, great job, Vida! Here is a video with some feedback/help on the syncopated rhythms:

s_nichole, wonderful playing and welcome to our challenges! I thought you did very well and don’t worry about the nervs, we all get it in front of the camera 🙂 So what I would focus on if I was you, would be getting it to flow a little bit smoother. So this comes down to a couple of things, first is timing and the second is connecting all the phrases together without pauses. Check out our practice advice for tips on targeting your practice to focus on these areas. But overall, great job and I hope you join us in more challenges!

deadbuggy
    Participant

Thanks, Andrew! I really like your augmented chords…sounds even better. And I’d love to say that I was drawing upon my extensive knowledge of music theory, but the truth is that at some point I goofed and had both fingers on that third fret and thought it sounded cool 🙂

Thanks again for this Etude. It’s become my go-to practice piece when I pick up my uke!

lyndallk
    Participant

Thanks for your feedback Andrew, and to other people, where I also learn things. Especially on the augmented chord. Lovely

marni11

Thanks for the feedback! I will be definitely be working on that!

ellbo99

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback, it’s really good to get something that I would never have spotted myself. Thanks again!

Dave

I just got my first ukulele last week and trying to learn. So here’s my video of doing Etude no. 13. Enjoyed the tune on this one and hopefully I can do more pieces next time.

rickeymike
    Participant

Don’t laugh too loudly. I was practicing my introductions for my future Carnegie Hall performance (why did I keep looking to my left?). BTW, one take!

lisadmh
    Participant

Awesome job Ricky. You’ve got a good relaxed vibe. And I love the lyrics, lol. I’ve gotta up my game with the rest of toy getting so creative.

Toastedbrains, does that really say last WEEK? Wow. Just wow. You’ve got a great uke future ahead of you.

rickeymike
    Participant

Lisa, thanks. I couldn’t resist the lyric cause it matched the speed I was playing at. How about adding another verse to the next couple of bars. 😉

Lisadmh, thanks!

i don’t even know how to tune the ukulele last week and found out there are high/low Gs. For what it’s worth, I used to play a bandurria decades ago (a spanish/philippine 14-stringed instrument) so that probably helped me with this etude.

Now, I’m getting addicted and wanted to buy a better ukulele.

mheiden
    Participant

Ricky, I would like to hear another verse! It’s great you can sing and play (I cannot do that)!

rickeymike
    Participant

Mheiden, ha. That was the trick for me to learning that part of the song. I thought of a lyric that would have one syllable match each note. Then I could sing to the beat of each note. I have the biggest trouble singing along to a chord strumming song but it’s so much easier when each syllable gets its own note. Try it.

cconuku

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.