Andrew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,261 through 1,275 (of 4,195 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Andrew
    Keymaster

    Thanks y’all!


    @jbmills07
    – This is the best performance I’ve heard from you to date. I’m really impressed with how well you’ve been doing these last few months! Keep up the great work, Justin ๐Ÿ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here’s everyone on page 3 that I hadn’t gotten to.

    artcrocker – Really well done and I like the subtle changes you threw in there ๐Ÿ™‚

    pysanky – excellent playing all around! Honestly, the only critique I have is that the occasional note/chord wasn’t crystal clear. It sounds like something that can be overcome by taking those sections/phrases at a slower tempo when practicing. Keep up the great work!

    shmu88 – Beautiful playing! Always an honor to share your performances with our community ๐Ÿ™‚


    @maryjanew
    – So sorry for your loss, MJ.

    ccwuke – Here’s my feedback for you ๐Ÿ™‚

    Here’s everyone on page 4 so far.


    @moonshine
    – Excellent feel and playful vibe throughout. Well done!


    @johanna2509
    – beautiful performance! I will send it to Steven to watch. I’m sure he’ll love it ๐Ÿ™‚


    @simonalexander
    – Great job singing and playing, Simon! I know Paul played it faster than Ashley and I, but I do think this arrangement sounds better at a slower tempo. And it’s definitely much easier to play clean at a slower tempo. So my only suggestion for you is to consider slowing the tempo a little bit.


    @tric_o_tronic
    – Great job! So I noticed a lot of your strumming motion comes from pivoting at the wrist. You want the forearm to move with the hand as it helps produce a more fluid sound. Check out this lesson and this one. Matt breaks down the fundamentals of strumming in the first one and offers five additional tips in the second one.


    @marianne
    – Beautifully done and you have a lovely singing voice ๐Ÿ™‚


    @herbdrawsaline
    – Great playing with a nice playful feel throughout!


    @gi_gi_
    – Way to go, Gi Gi! You’ve been knocking these challenges outta the park! But I do have one critique for you. At 56 seconds, you made a mistake and restarted the melody. Always play through your mistakes. We want to pretend like we’re playing in an ensemble. If we make a mistake, the band never stops and starts again, instead they carry on and the audience usually doesn’t notice ๐Ÿ™‚


    @rebeca
    – You nailed it! Bravo!


    @leslieb
    – That was an excellent take! The barre chords sounded great! Only thing I’d say is to target your practice towards speeding up the single note phrase at the end. But keep doing what you’re doing! It’s working ๐Ÿ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Yes, we are going to make a lesson on it Charley ๐Ÿ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @debb1985 – Great playing as always, Debb! Funny you mention the challenges that come with playing it on baritone. I actually thought the exact same thing when I was playing it on tenor the other day (that it’s easier to play on concert). Then I thought this is a great excuse to buy a uke in every size haha.

    But it’s funny how the opposite is true too. For example, I find the chord shapes in this song very challenging to play on concert. They’re much easier to fret on the baritone.


    @katazumiri
    – Love the duet with bass! Excellent playing all around ๐Ÿ™‚


    @jsanjuan
    – Excellent take with great feel throughout!


    @mark1256
    – Your performance was awesome, just like Nathalie’s ๐Ÿ™‚

    The only thing I want to hear more of is a bit more sustain in the first bar of the choruses. Other than that, it was great overall. Timing was great too!


    @dianna
    – Awesome take! Love the scenery and the birds chirping ๐Ÿ™‚


    @lynnzo
    – Well done! Double check ending 4 in verse 1. It uses a much simpler rhythm than the triplet strum you through in there ๐Ÿ˜‰

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @deadbuggy – Beautifully played and I like the subtle changes you threw in ๐Ÿ™‚


    @cemusicalele
    – Excellent performance! You nailed the playful feel, well done!


    @leb397
    – Great performance, Louisa! I enjoyed watching it ๐Ÿ™‚

    The one area I’d suggest working on is barre chord note clarity. Some of the barre chords sound like a note is being unintentionally muted. Mainly the D chords. Like the first one (2225) and the ultra hard fingering Matt does for 2220.

    For the most part, your form looks fine. But scoot the index finger back a little so it’s not over the metal fret on string 4. Other than that, it’s all a finger strength game.

    Here’s a video I made a couple years ago for another member that talks about both of these areas and gives a little exercise idea. You can run this exercise up/down the neck using any barre chord shape.

    in reply to: Malagueรฑa | Ukulele Flamenco Style #51893
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Sick intro, Jeremy!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @qiuyan – Well done, Qiuyan! I agree with you. A slower tempo will allow you to focus on those 2 areas. But I’d also recommend to work towards gradually bringing it up to the tempo of this performance.


    @clempek
    – Well played, Clem! Your take captured the fun vibes of the original recording ๐Ÿ™‚


    @nthibode
    – Brilliant as always, Nathalie! Def gonna share this!


    @rafaela
    – Excellent performance with great feel throughout!

    in reply to: Strumming 2 or 3 strings only #51882
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Hi Greg, give this exercise a try and let me know if you have any ?’s ๐Ÿ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @lyndallk – Lovely take, Lyndall and truly amazing progress for just one week of practice! I’d love to hear where you get it when you get a chance to pick up the uke again ๐Ÿ™‚


    @laurakarr12
    – Awesome to hear about the donation by your uke group! And your performance was excellent! Great job on nailing the playful feel ๐Ÿ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @evapaju – Excellent take, Eva. Keep up the great work!


    @pysanky
    – Eva is spot on! I always update the tab player to reflect the performance version. Sometimes this differs from the lesson version, which you noticed. We try our best to play exactly as taught, but sometimes when youโ€™re in the moment a note/chord here or there changes.

    in reply to: mark10 from the USA #51855
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Glad to have you on-board, Mark! You have a beautiful collection. Hope to hear one of those ukes in a monthly challenge ๐Ÿ™‚

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Wow! 100 members joined us for this month’s challenge! Steven, Stephen, and I were BLOWN AWAY by how amazing everyone did! Big round of applause to everyone who participated this month. ๐Ÿ™‚

    Our May Challenge is LIVE and the theme is Beatles Songs. I hope each of you join us again.

    Below, I will post a list of members who participated in the April challenge for your first chance to win the Kanile’a Ukulele. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

    —-

    samash07
    samash07
    deadbuggy
    deadbuggy
    laurakarr12
    laurakarr12
    johanna2509
    johanna2509
    evapaju
    evapaju
    slr4chums
    slr4chums
    rebeca
    rebeca
    yukalele
    yukalele
    jsanjuan
    jsanjuan
    katazumiri
    katazumiri
    terryfallon3
    terryfallon3
    barbecueblack
    barbecueblack
    ccwuke
    ccwuke
    leslieb
    leslieb
    dividedsky
    dividedsky
    jlbross
    jlbross
    simonalexander
    simonalexander
    june2020
    june2020
    ukandrea
    ukandrea
    nthibode
    nthibode
    moonshine
    moonshine
    shmu88
    shmu88
    peiching
    tim0721
    tim0721
    casadot349
    casadot349
    ajk101
    ajk101
    ldarrow
    ldarrow
    gstriph
    gstriph
    biancak
    biancak
    kdeacon7
    kdeacon7
    rafaela
    rafaela
    brettboy
    brettboy
    lynnzo
    lynnzo
    joe150
    joe150
    kidelozzi
    kidelozzi
    lyndallk
    lyndallk
    marygrace
    jbmills07
    jbmills07
    bibilele
    lbilkie
    lbilkie
    lynettejd
    lynettejd
    kpurdy
    kpurdy
    ukulelee
    ukulelee
    debb1985
    debb1985
    kmoore925x
    kmoore925x
    sarrafina
    sarrafina
    wongbrown
    wongbrown
    mark1256
    mark1256
    leb397
    leb397
    sir_anzalot
    sir_anzalot
    joannetala
    joannetala
    dianna
    dianna
    gi_gi_
    gi_gi_
    lhamilton
    lhamilton
    felixhchan
    felixhchan
    cimarronsailor
    cimarronsailor
    pysanky
    pysanky
    mkstewart67
    mkstewart67
    followmemae
    antotonin
    antotonin
    seoulkim
    seoulkim
    jnjmalos
    jnjmalos
    lisadmh
    lisadmh
    riley_ukulele
    riley_ukulele
    misterbones
    misterbones
    dal08260
    dal08260
    ivo_zag
    ivo_zag
    andrewvh
    tessiert
    tessiert
    ukealori
    ukealori
    ukukelley1
    ukukelley1
    turkgoose
    turkgoose
    artcrocker
    artcrocker
    karenj
    karenj
    akukes73
    akukes73
    richard_siegert
    richard_siegert
    concan
    concan
    themccoys
    themccoys
    zongozongo
    zongozongo
    uku241
    uku241
    akichman
    akichman
    laurajax
    laurajax
    sarahd
    sarahd
    janaq1
    janaq1
    cararozy
    tules14
    jayton
    jayton
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    smudge
    smudge
    omaon4
    omaon4
    timolnz
    timolnz
    kirpuff
    kirpuff
    canucke
    canucke
    gonzo-fett
    gonzo-fett
    alysun1
    nelsonlin2021
    nelsonlin2021
    maryjanew
    maryjanew
    puppylovesuke
    puppylovesuke
    qiuyan
    qiuyan

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here’s everyone on page 12.

    —-

    gonzo-fett – Great performance and feel overall. Only thing I’d say is to double check the music as some of the notes were incorrect.

    alysun1 – Performance was great! Only thing I’d say is to work on keeping it a little more steady (timing wise).

    nelsonlin2021 – So listening to the opening phrase (first 30 seconds) of each performance, I can already hear that you have cleaned up some of the unwanted string noise and increased the clarity of picked notes in the chords. So off the bat, I can already tell that you know what to do and what to work on. As I listen to the rest, there’s only a few chords that have tricky transitions or just full barre chords (that are hard for everybody) that trip you up a little bit.

    So I’d say target your practice in these areas and keep doing what you’re doing. Because you’re practicing has already produced a great result ๐Ÿ™‚

    maryjanew – Excellent start, MJ! I saw your note about being short on time this month, but I think with a little bit more practice you’ll have it down.

    Also, give the picado technique a shot. Great song for working on this technique ๐Ÿ™‚

    puppylovesuke – Excellent performance with great feel!

    qiuyan – Fantastic performance overall! There’s only a few times where you’re ahead of the beat. So my suggestion is to practice with the tab player with Stephen and I. And record yourself. Listen back to make sure you’re locked in with me.

    jeg143 – Performance sounded great! Keep working on that B Melody ๐Ÿ™‚

    Unfortunately, you submitted past our deadline so I won’t be able to give you an entry for this month. I tried to give everyone a friendly reminder on the 30th. But the good news is there are five more chances to enter for the prize.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here’s everyone on page 9.

    —-

    seoulkim – Bravo, excellent performance! You had a beautiful sustain throughout most of this performance, so I would focus on the chord shapes that were harder, produced buzz, or had less sustain. And one tip for the Dm7 in bar 2, keep your middle finger barred at the first joint (covering strings 1 and 2). That’ll increase sustain ๐Ÿ™‚

    jnjmalos – Well done! I’d recommend playing along with Stephen and I in the tab player. That’ll help smooth out any timing issues. Try 4 or 8 bars sections at a time.

    And don’t be afraid to give the picado technique a shot ๐Ÿ™‚

    lisadmh – Performance was perfect, only thing I’m hearing is that you’re cutting that one bar (that repeats twice) of the C chord short. So just watch out for that. Other than that, it had a great feel! Very impressive to hear so much progress in your playing ๐Ÿ™‚

    riley_ukulele – A lot of the measures are played with beautiful feel. It just sounds like you need a little bit more practice and I did see your note about how busy this month was. Keep practicing when time permits and I have no doubt you’ll have it flowing from start to end beautifully ๐Ÿ™‚

    misterbones – That intro was epic! Love it and very creative. So for a lot of this song you’re locked into the groove. For ex: 39 to 49 sec is super tight. But there’s other times where you’re a little loose.

    What I would suggest is to play along with the tab player with Evan. Take a four bar section but slow it down to at least 70%. And record yourself. Listen back and analyze if you matched him perfectly or not. If you’re locked in with him, record yourself playing at the same speed without him and analyze.

    This has always been the best way for me to work on timing and groove.

    dal08260 – Excellent performance!

    pysanky – Beautifully played, well done!

    ivo_zag – Well done! The one area I’d work on is increasing the sustain. I’m hearing a bit of choppy/staccato sound in your playing. Try playing at a slower tempo and keeping your fingers held down for the entire note(s) duration.

    You can also check out this lesson that Matt taught for more tips for increasing sustain.

    andrewvh – Nice job, Andrew! Give the picado technique a shot. Great song for working on this technique ๐Ÿ™‚

    tessiert – Excellent performance! Keep doing what you’re doing with your practicing, because it’s working! Only thing I’d say is to gradually start to push yourself to go faster. Try 5 or 10 bpm faster from here.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @jbmills07 – Excellent start for the May Challenge, Justin! Slow the tempo down as you keep practicing. Look forward to hearing where you get it at the end of the month ๐Ÿ™‚


    @mark1256
    – Great performance and you nailed the playful feel! Well done, Mark ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1,261 through 1,275 (of 4,195 total)