2017 Member Feedback – Your Suggestions for Next Year's Lessons

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons 2017 Member Feedback – Your Suggestions for Next Year's Lessons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks to everyone who participated in the survey I sent out Friday πŸ™‚ As I’ve received just over 100 responses, I wanted to take some time to respond to everyone’s feedback. If you have additional feedback, or new suggestions for how we can improve upon lessons for next year, please feel free to post below.

JUMP GUIDE

0:48 – Question 1) Rank from 1 (most important) to 3 (least important), what do you value most about Rock Class 101?

2:00 – Question 2) Which level would you like to see more lessons on in 2018?

2:45 – Question 3) Do you want to see more community interactive events? Such as our 25 Question Lightning Round or the Q&A session with Taimane.

4:17 – Question 4) Do you own a Low G ukulele?

4:53 – Question 5) Do you own a Baritone ukulele?

5:27 – Question 6) Write any comments on what you would like to see in 2018 and/or how we could improve Rock Class 101.

classicuke

After I completed the survey, I thought of two things:
    1. I would love to learn the theme music from the movie The Third Man.
    2. On lessons already posted, it would be awesome to have a sub lesson with examples of what a second ukulele could play along as a simple accompaniment.

Love all the materials. Thank for all I’ve learned so far. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks for taking it πŸ™‚ I’m planning to go live one day this week and respond to/share all the feedback I received. It has been very helpful!

Andrew
    Keymaster

classicuke, I forgot to answer your questions in the video.

1) Added to my request list.

2) This was similar to other feedback received. Time is the biggest challenge for me to work around as producing the 1 weekly lesson (arrangement) consumes the entire week’s time. If you guys wish to have a simplified version in addition to the normal lesson, I’d be happy to do that, but it would need to come out as it’s own week’s lesson.

kayleighb

I never said this on the form but I just wanted to say thank you.

I got my uke last Christmas as I wanted to try it out. I tired a couple of basic strumming lessons to quickly learn songs but it just didn’t do it for me so I left it. Until I found your site around June time.

Since then, I’ve completed every monthly challenge (including Waimanalo Blues which I thought would be impossible). My confidence in attempting new material has come on leaps and bounds and I play nearly every day.

Now upgrading to a “proper” uke I’m excited to continue this into 2018. You have allowed me to re-ignite my love for music, learning and playing which is something I’d lost along the way somewhere.

For 2018 I want to finally move into that intermediate bracket, and keep going through the courses and revisiting songs I’ve done before to keep improving. In fact one of my favourite challenges was the accountability challenge as it gave a real purpose for developing/improving a particular skill and I’d like to see more of those in 2018.

So yeah, just thank you! 😊

Andrew
    Keymaster

You rock Kay! You’re an inspiration to all of us πŸ™‚

lisadmh
    Participant

Hi Andrew. Thanks for the survey and such a thorough video. We really don’t see just how much work goes into the site. Thank you for all you do for us. Really this is the best uke lesson site there is. Kudos.

A few people mentioned the idea of having an easier version of a hard song. I’m thinking it would be fun to try, of course counting it for two weeks of lessons. If it’s in the same key, one could maybe learn the easier version, then poke away at adding some frills fromthe harder version. I’d support a two week trial of it.

And remember to take time for you too. Self care first. Sounds like you work hard. We don’t want you burning out. ☺ Happy holidays to you.

classicuke

Wow Andrew! Thank you for all the responses. It certainly is very interesting to see what goes into all these lessons and that is what makes the quality so good.

ukedumb
    Participant

Omg, I’ve Been Wanting To Learn Moonlight Sonata Since The Very Beginning Of My Ukulele Journey!

rickeymike
    Participant

Ditto what Lisa wrote. Make sure you take a minimum of two weeks away (and more if needed) where you turn off RockClass completely. We’d rather have your instruction 45 to 50 times each year than none.

Take Care, Rickey

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks everyone πŸ™‚

floridason
    Participant

LOW G lessons please. But not just new lessons in low G, how about teaching how to take one of the High G tabs and transposing parts of it to take advantage of the Low G? Some chord progressions just don’t sound good in Low G. Sometimes I just focus on the c,e,a strings and that defeats the purpose of a forth string. Anyway, thanks for all you do! Cheers!

Forgot the other Qs.

Question 1) Rank from 1 (most important) to 3 (least important), what do you value most about Rock Class 101? <<<<<< your teaching style, the solo versions of a great assortment of songs and the price/value of membership >>>>>>>>>>>

Question 2) Which level would you like to see more lessons on in 2018? <<<<<<<<< intermediate and advanced >>>>>>>>

Question 3) Do you want to see more community interactive events? Such as our 25 Question Lightning Round or the Q&A session with Taimane. <<<<<<<<< could go either way >>>>>>>

Question 4) Do you own a Low G ukulele? <<<<<<<< Yes >>>>>>>>>>>

Question 5) Do you own a Baritone ukulele? <<<<<<< No >>>>>>>>>

Question 6) Write any comments on what you would like to see in 2018 and/or how we could improve Rock Class 101. <<<<<<<<<<<< in addition tot he above, if you have a voice lesson, the song selections are soo good, could you include tabs for the instrumental as well? Don’t need a whole new video lesson, but some idea how to play it solo would be helpful to us non-vocalists. In the same vein, a solo version of the multi player songs.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by floridason. Reason: Left out answers
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback Dale! I’ll see what I can come up with for transposing high G to low G, although it may be difficult as the approach for writing on each instrument is different.

benjamin
    Participant

Hi, Andrew, thanks for the survey and planning for 2018. Really excited with 2018 πŸ™‚

So we will need to buy a Low-G string to put on the ukulele, right?

Maybe it is better to have an additional ukulele with Low-G string, so we do not need to keep changing the string back from Low-G to High-G?

I wish you can also teach us how to use looper while playing those songs that you have taught before.

In order to encourage the interaction among the students, perhaps it is good to have a closed Facebook Group. I believe a “support group” like this will be very helpful in the ukulele learning journey πŸ™‚

Thanks for telling us know that you spent 60-80 hours a week for rockclass101.com
    Really appreciate your effort and contribution to the ukulele world.

Thank you very much and keep up the good work!
    Merry Christmas and happy new year!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by benjamin.
    tonydismukes

I’m a bit late to the party, but since I just joined I figure I’ll toss in my two cents:

Question 1) Rank from 1 (most important) to 3 (least important), what do you value most about Rock Class 101?
    Detailed instruction – not just “here’s the notes to play”, but careful breakdown of the fingering, timing, technical aspects, etc. I also appreciate that you have lessons both on specific techniques and complete songs.

Question 2) Which level would you like to see more lessons on in 2018?

It’s all good. Right now for me, level one lessons are simple enough that I can learn them in a day, but are still helpful for learning. Level two lessons are going to be a challenge. I’m hoping that by the end of the year I’ll have progressed enough so that level twos are easy and I’m looking to the higher levels for a challenge.

Question 3) Do you want to see more community interactive events? Such as our 25 Question Lightning Round or the Q&A session with Taimane.

Community stuff sounds cool, but I’ll wait until I’ve been here longer to voice an opinion.

Question 4) Do you own a Low G ukulele?

Nope.

Question 5) Do you own a Baritone ukulele?

Yep, but currently with re-entrant tuning (high-D) to take advantage of the greater tab resources available for standard uke.

Question 6) Write any comments on what you would like to see in 2018 and/or how we could improve Rock Class 101.

A couple of thoughts:

I’d love to see song arrangements that include both vocal accompaniment (rhythm + any signature licks & fills) and a chord-melody instrumental solo. This is the way I would like to play during performance. I can come up with basic accompaniment arrangements (though not always with the cool fills) and I’m starting to learn the basics of how to build a chord-melody instrumental solo, but what I don’t have down yet is how to fit the two together so that the groove of the accompaniment fits stylistically with the solo.

Another fun idea would be to take some of your technique and theory lessons and show how they could be used to create different arrangements of the same song. For example, you could pick a simple folk song which could sound good with different interpretations and then have different lessons where you show how to create a blues version, a reggae version, a clawhammer version, a percussive version, a version using harmonics, etc. This might help make the technique lessons into compositional tools rather than just physical tools.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.