April 1, 2019 at 12:13 pm #26126
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #26! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a Oha Tenor Ukulele! This model is brand new for 2019 and retails at $795 USD.
I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 850+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 Rock Class 101 Love Song Themed Lessons:
1) “Dream a Little Dream of Me” – Learn two beautiful melodies which help you develop barre chord technique. * Taught in its Entirety for FREE!
2) “Stand By Me” by Ben E. King * – A classic 60’s hit, this arrangement covers everything from the iconic bass intro to the smoothly delivered vocal lines.
3) “In My Life” by The Beatles – ‘In My Life’ has always been one of my favorite songs due to its simplistic beauty. It’s one of the songs that really resonates in people.
4) “A Thousand Years” by Christina Perry – Featured in the motion picture, Twilight, this hauntingly beautiful melody is an excellent study for the intermediate to advanced fingerstyle player.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “Dream a Little Dream of Me”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Stand By Me”, “In My Life”, or “A Thousand Years”
3. Participation Goal: 75 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 Love Song pieces anytime between Monday, April 1st till Tuesday, April 30th, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our April Challenge: Love Song Themed!
Second Chance: Participate in our May Challenge.
Third Chance: Participate in our June Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On July 4th, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize. You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of April and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
1) $795 Grand Prize! Includes:
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED BY HONOKA!
Select Solid Koa Top
Solid Mahogany Back and Sides
Walnut Finger-Board and Bridge
UV Natural Finish
Made in Hawaii, USA
Black Poplar Position Markers and Logo
Other Features: Includes a black hard foam case
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!April 1, 2019 at 1:06 pm #26130
April fools?April 1, 2019 at 1:09 pm #26131
I would like to participate but I am curious: do we have to sing in our video?April 1, 2019 at 2:05 pm #26139
AndrewKeymasterApril 1, 2019 at 3:51 pm #26141
I so want to enter all of these challenges! 😀 I really need another ukulele!April 1, 2019 at 4:37 pm #26143
I learned this song about a year ago and here is my entry for the month of April!
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER!
RickApril 1, 2019 at 5:15 pm #26144
Wow! I’m in! Thanks.April 1, 2019 at 5:48 pm #26145
I just tried to download the tabs for Dream a Little Dream, and it just directs me to the “sign up for membership page.” That would make sense if I was logged out, but I’m logged in. Please check this.
RobinApril 1, 2019 at 9:07 pm #26154
Hi, I don’t know if this will work for you, but sometimes I need to log out and log back in again for it to work.April 1, 2019 at 9:10 pm #26155
Alright Drew. I’m in! Love the video. I’ll start on A Thousand Years soon.April 1, 2019 at 9:24 pm #26156April 1, 2019 at 10:15 pm #26157
I actually thought I had posted that I had solved the issue (exactly how you suggested) about 5 minutes after my first post, but it didn’t seem to work. I must be having computer issues.
RobinApril 2, 2019 at 7:09 am #26163
Hi! You just need to refresh.April 2, 2019 at 7:18 am #26164
So, we’re sure we don’t want to do When I’m 64 for this challenge? LOLApril 2, 2019 at 10:15 am #26165
I just joined as a premium member. I have been playing the Ukulele for about 8 months now, but the main attraction was your focus on building skills e.g. hammer on/pull off, slides etc. for beginners. This is a beautiful piece and Matt has explained it very well. I am glad its only an instrumental 🙂 and look forward to participating and winning. I will have to change my Ukulele from low G to high G but that’s a small price for this beautiful song.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.