Participate in the April 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Uke!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Uke!

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 305 total)
  • Author
    lyndallk
    Participant

Thanks Andrew for the fabulous video feedback. Timing is absolutely one of my challenges. I tend to make everything a little simpler than it should be . I’ll try the transcribe app. I’m excited to improve this part of my playing. Thanks for your generous words too.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is everyone on page 17 and 18.

—-

ukukelley1 – Beautiful playing, Sheryl! So you’ve got a really great base established, in that you are very familiar with the entire piece; but I would go back and target your practice to focus on 1 section at a time. I’d recommend that the sections be 8 bars in length. For example, that could be the entire first verse.

Your goal would be to get the timing to flow steady. That should be your main focus, because everything else is checked off: great pace, great tone, great form.

zukulele – Hey Zion, that’s actually a really impressive take. Sometimes folks ask me, “you must be able to perform for hours with all the arrangements you’ve done”… And the truth is, no! It takes continual practice to keep tunes in your performance repertoire. So major props for playing it as you did, and like you said, a little more practice will get you a cleaner take.

rpina61 – Way to go! Here’s a video with my feedback for you 🙂

gardn_gnome – Great playing! Here’s my feedback for you. 🙂

borjez – Excellent feel! Your use of rubato has a very natural feel. I have nothing constructive to offer, that was simply wonderful 🙂

nitsur – Wonderful take! The only thing I can suggest is to continue working on the timing so that it flows a little bit more consistent. Overall you did a great job, keep up the good work!

malachi – Excellent job! I made a video for you talking about form, and here is the lesson that I referenced.

k_ra11 – Wow! That was fantastic, and I think this is the perfect level for you to be working on. Biggest thing with this tune was the slow, soft pace – which you nailed, and it’s super important as it’s a ballad. The only critique I have is: A couple times you messed up a little section and then restarted. Always play through your mistakes. Pretend like you’re performing with the band, if you mess up, they don’t stop, they keep going.

Other than that, keep up the great work! You are rockin’!

r1ggler – Lovely take! Here’s a couple tips for you.

becky7777 – Love the rhythmic feel you played with! Really makes the piece pop 🙂 I don’t have any critiques for you, I’m really impressed with your playing month after month. Keep up the great work!

lakeside339 – Great job! You have a great base established, in that you are very familiar with the entire tune; but what I’d focus on is working on one section at a time. So take 4 or 8 bars and focus on keeping the tempo steady. Master those bars before moving on. This will help you to get the piece to flow smoothly. Check out the three steps for proper practice from our practicing guide which dives into this learning approach in more detail.

tommyn – Well done! Sounds like the chorus and bridge needs a little bit more practice. I’d also encourage you to memorize it, as there are a lot of benefits in doing so. Check out this article to find out why. But overall, keep up the great work!

lizbun – Great timing, great feel, and love the ending! Well done, that was a lovely performance 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

Wow! 99 members joined us for this month’s challenge, with a few more posting an additional performance on a second tune! Stephen and I are BLOWN AWAY by how amazing everyone did! Big round of applause to everyone who participated this month 🙂

Our May Challenge is LIVE and it’s theme is songs from, The Beatles! We have quite a few entries in already! I hope each of you join us again.

Below, I will post a list of members who participated in the April challenge for your first chance to win the Kanile’a Ukulele. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

—-

Extra ENTRY: kanae926 (Guess Fav VH Song)

rickkhan
    rickkhan
    alex2531255
    laurasil
    laurakarr12
    brenna
    brenna
soraya06
    soraya06
    en_joy
    en_joy
    gstriph
    gstriph
    deadbuggy
    deadbuggy
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    marni11
    marni11
    planetfink
    planetfink
    carmeloukes
    carmeloukes
    lisadmh
    lisadmh
    cncamacho
    tessa84
    tessa84
    kanae926
    kanae926
    coffeemug
    coffeemug
    cyukug
    cyukug
    uku_mom
    morrieuke1
    morrieuke1
    noemie
    citznmag
    stinyuke
    stinyuke
    jgallego
    jgallego
    stianukulele
    stianukulele
    bzediver
    bzediver
    betsy_manning
    betsy_manning
    Gaby
    Gaby
    timolnz
    timolnz
    kellyblackburn
    kellyblackburn
    holly1
    holly1
    joannetala
    joannetala
    sprintingyogini
    sprintingyogini
    marion2017
    marion2017
    surfnrz
    surfnrz
    speedyfish
    kirpuff
    kirpuff
    andracass
    andracass
    johanna2509
    alex086962
    brettboy
    brettboy
    edward
    edward
    tiff27
    juwong
    justin
    justin
    nthibode
    nthibode
    kmelton
    kmelton
    jinajupiter
    jinajupiter
    richo_uke
    richo_uke
    abaluyot
    abaluyot
    kumakuma
    lildevil
    lildevil
    smudge
    smudge
    mheiden
    mheiden
    casadot349
    casadot349
    santai
    santai
    karenj
    karenj
    erino7
    erino7
    sratica
    sratica
    hotmilktea
    hotmilktea
    wongbrown
    wongbrown
    esimmerman
    esimmerman
    cyberloh
    cyberloh
    joe150
    llmairalmiquel
    llmairalmiquel
    akshxd
    akshxd
    odysseus
    odysseus
    fiat-lux
    fiat-lux
    lisamcc
    lisamcc
    john21403
    john21403
    lyndallk
    lyndallk
    rufio0
    rufio0
    chirimoya
    jlbross
    jlbross
    rickeymike
    rickeymike
    stevenflautner
    stevenflautner
    ukukelley1
    ukukelley1
    zukulele
    zukulele
    rpina61
    rpina61
    gardn_gnome
    gardn_gnome
    borjez
    borjez
    nitsur
    nitsur
    malachi
    malachi
    k_ra11
    k_ra11
    r1ggler
    r1ggler
    becky7777
    becky7777
    lakeside339
    lakeside339
    tommyn
    tommyn
    lizbun
    yellowrosecottag
    yellowrosecottag
    ambre_uke92
    ambre_uke92
    iyers408
    iyers408
    mfaske
    mfaske
    skilshaw
    skilshaw
    evevev
    evevev
    gaevdl
    gaevdl
    aquatopaz
    aquatopaz

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Andrew. Reason: Updated: Participation Count & Added Members from Page 14 to Raffle List
    lakeside339
    Participant

Andrew – thanks so much for the feedback. I did not think I’d be able to memorize it but much to my surprise I did without even trying (just the practicing I guess). As you pointed out, memorizing really helps – I had a LOT more pauses when I was trying to play while reading. I did practice one section at a time, but eventually ran out of time. But a big step forward for me. Your feedback to other people has been helpful.
    Two things I also found helpful: 1) playing with the chords only to help my brain know where I was going next (rather than just thinking about the tab fingering) 2) a recommendation from Daniel Ward – learn the piece backwards. In other words, do the small sections at the back of the piece first (or at least early on -I found I need to get through the lesson forward first). That way as you are learning your next section, you continue to play into a part you already know more smoothly.
    Will have less time to learn the longer (When I’m 64) song this month, but will give it a go…. the motivation of the challenges is very helpful…

iyers408

I sent in my entry, but do not see my name iyers408 in your April entry list.

Thanks for the feedback on my playing. I am still working on Dream a little … and making good progress. In the meanwhile, the May challenge has come up! I am drinking from a fire hose (and enjoying it). I hope to get some time and work on the other courses and lessons that are on the web site.

Any tips on how to participate in the challenge while still making progress on the general stuff in the background? Thanks!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@iyers408 – yikes, I forgot to add everyone on page 14! I’ll update the post above. To answer your question, split your practice in thirds. For example:

1) technique – for ex: hammer-ons & Pull-offs. here is 1 lesson and another to reference.
    2) reading course
    3) May Challenge tune

@gstriph
    – snippet is sounding good! Glad the feedback helped 🙂

rpina61
    Participant

@Andrew,

Thank you for the video critique. I was jazzed that this challenge had a really nice opportunity in the intro to use the vibrato technique. Before the challenge, I had been working (as previously discussed) on including vibrato in my playing using Red is the Rose since that piece is quite slow (until melody B) with many held chords. I’ve been really experimenting with where and how much vibrato to use … from way overkill using it everywhere … to using it really sparsely.

As I’ve been practicing, it seems that most of the time I make an almost an instantaneous decision at the moment of playing the chord whether to use some vibrato or not, though I have an idea beforehand of where I might want to use it. But as you say, using it too much can be detrimental, I think because it makes it seem too contrived. The intro to A Thousand Years seems to clearly want some vibrato to help set the mood. But, I just played the intro a couple of times eliminating vibrato from just the 4th hit of those first three measures to make it a little sparser as you suggested and I like it better.

Thanks as always for your great insight.

Cheers,

Robert

ukukelley1
    Participant

Hi Andrew – Thanks very much for the feedback. I do have a tendency to move ahead with a new piece before it’s smooth yet… “…that wasn’t too bad, I’ll keep going…” and then I think I get in the habit of accepting all the breaks. I’ll take your approach and do a little more drilling to polish each section before moving ahead. That will likely also help my memorization skills.
    Thanks again,
    Sheryl

r1ggler

Thanks Andrew!

The feedback is really helpful. And yes, I really had an issue getting the timing and feel for that little walk down section in the chorus. It was one of those situations where my mind had kind of decided on the timing itself and I couldn’t get away from it, sort of was just stuck there. I’ll go back and just play that section listening to your version until it clicks.

Also, you’re definitely right about the extra beat I add before repeating that section in the chorus. That one I did do to add a bit of space and feel to it but listening again to you play I’m going to try it without that extra beat. It’s nice to keep the tempo.

I’m self-taught so counting was new to me and tricky but it’s starting to help.

So far I’ve learned “Fur Elise”, “Game of Thrones” and “1,000 Years” and together they’ve really made a huge difference in my playing!

Thank so much again for the feedback and the great arrangements!

Ryan

mfaske
    Participant

Andrew,
    Thank you so very much for the feedback. I’m amazed and thoroughly impressed that you take the time to give personal attention by reviewing all the submissions. This site is so inspiring and motivating. I wish I would have found it sooner. I’ll take your advice to heart, keep working, and thanks again!
    Matt

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by mfaske.
    lisamcc
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback Stephen – much appreciated. I’ll go back and modify those bits.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks for all the kind words guys! We really appreciate how much work everyone puts into their playing. It’s an honor for us to get to listen to!

jinajupiter
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Stephen. I will work on getting my left hand faster so the tones can ring longer. 🙂

zukulele

Thanks for the feedback Andrew; I’ll try to set up a weekly practice schedule for this month’s challenge 🙂

timolnz
    Participant

Thanks for the feed back Andrew….i did get carried away a little and wasn’t too sure re added beats and timing….your suggestions appreciated. Tim

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.