Participate in the April 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Uke!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Uke!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 305 total)
  • Author
    soraya06
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

This is my first challenge to participate in here at rockclass 101 and i had a blast today learning dream a little dream, its such a pretty song !

My uke has a low G set up, so i had to modify a few things here and there so that it would not sound too weird 🙂 I also changed things up a bit, added some extra notes and fingerpicking in parts where i had to strum, hope thats ok.

I am suffering of hayfever today and had compromised airways so don’t mind the heavy breathing thoughout the recording, i sound like a congested french bulldog hahaha !

Its not a perfect recording, at one point i spaced out and in some parts had the sticky finger syndrome LOL but i’ll take it 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by soraya06.
    betsy_manning
    Participant

I’m excited! I’m FINALLY going to have an entry! Thanks to Andrew and Mark for “Dream a Little Dream of Me” which is perfect for my level!!

Plus, it’s a favorite perfect standard song! Love love love it!

brenna
    Participant

Very very jazzy. I like it!!!!

soraya06
    Participant

Thank you so much ! It does sound jazzy doesn’t it ? I didn’t realize i was playing a jazzed up rendition of this song until you pointed it out 🙂

en_joy
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hello! Here is me playing Dream a little dream of me. It is not perfect but I am satisfy how it sound for the time I practice. I really want to learn RC 101 version of Stand by me.

Andrew
    Keymaster

laurakarr12 – Well done! Love seeing the PM Tee in the backdrop. Had to send this video to him 🙂

Check out the advice I left in the video for Alex in the post above yours. It’s the same advice that I would recommend for you; and what’s really cool is that Alex has already posted a second take with my feedback in mind. The second take was awesome, so it will help give you a great idea for applying it to your playing.

The other thing I’d recommend is to lighten your thumb attack. A lighter strum and pluck attack will produce a sweeter, softer tone.

brenna – That was so cool, Gianluca! I love it! Excellent feel!

soraya06 – Beautiful playing! Here is my 1 tip for your ending 🙂

en_joy – Hi Josip, great job on this one. Here’s a video with some feedback for you. It’s a little long, but it’s kind of a tricky thing to explain, so let me know if you have any questions. And here is the lesson I referenced.

en_joy
    Participant

Hi Andrew!

Thank you for so detailed video. I will check out lesson you recommended. I started to practice this song few days before new challenge in duration of cca 20 min per day, in total about 2-3 hours.

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure!

rickeymike
    Participant

Andrew, That advice to Josip was one of the best lessons. Is there a way to put your response/lesson in my favorites?

On that same subject, I just got a 10 watt speaker for my pre amped Gracie and I notice this unwanted sound noise is so much more pronounced with a speaker. And yes, my finger oil/sweat is pulling the string up with an additional unwanted sound.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Glad it was helpful, Rickey! You won’t be able to add it to favorites, but you can click “watch later” and it will add it to that YouTube playlist for you.

rickeymike
    Participant

FYI. When I hit ‘watch later’ from this site it says invalid request. But once you start playing it, you get an option to watch it on YouTube. Choosing to watch it on YouTube allows me to save it on any playlist that I have saved.

becky7777
    Participant

I agree Ricky. I can’t really palm mute without major gymnastics happening so I was experimenting with ways to un-stick my fingers, especially if i’ve been holding something fretted for a long while. Super helpful!! I couldn’t find these feedbacks on youtube. It’s great they can be bookmarked from here.

Working on timing more this month too and this time i’m NOT going to “take it and mak…change the song freaking completely.” (I think it was you, I was talking about that with?..) 😉 To be honest, i’m going to need to murder the arrangement of Dream, a little bit… because it’s fun, and I feel bad about losing the crazy challenging bit for me, from low G whipping the dodge ball at that E7 chord. Poor E7 never had a chance…

lakeside339
    Participant

Becky7777 – on any of Andrew’s videos: Hit play, then look in the lower right hand corner. Hover your cursor over where it says ‘YouTube’ – you’ll see it then pops up with ‘watch on YouTune (so you know you’re in the right place. Just click on the ‘YouTube’and it will open a new window on YouTube and continue the viseo there. You can then either save to any playlist you may have created, want to create or the ‘watch later’ playlist YouTube has. those options depend on you being logged in to YouTube.

gstriph
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

Here’s my version of Dream a little dream of me — I really liked Matt’s lesson and learning this song. You can hear a little where my memory fails me but I like the song enough to keep working on it. I love the youtube record of these challenges. I joined RC101 shortly after I started playing and it’s fun to hear the difference in the posts and listening to the better students gives me something to go for…

Jerry

robinboyd
    Participant

@becky7777 – I’m also playing with the timing of the arrangement a lot and I’m also going to murder the arrangement a bit. I’m glad I’m not the only one that’s thinking along those lines. You’ll notice I’ve already left a few questions about timing for Matt on the live lesson thread, and I’m hoping to play with it even more than that by slipping in and out of a swung rhythm. The hard thing is that in order to go about that in a deliberate fashion, I’m finding that I need to know the beat intimately and count out the entire song. It’s not easy!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.