Participate in the April 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Uke!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Uke!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 305 total)
  • Author
    kellyblackburn
    Participant

Here’s my entry, In My Life.

Thank you,
    Kelly, Premium Member

timolnz
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
    Here is my ‘Dream a Little Dream of Me’… A little off-beat but had a lot of fun learning this one. Congratulations on all the entries…very inspiring listening to you All. Tim

Gaby
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I have tried to get a more or less clean recording for 3 days now. I just can´t get through the whole song in front of a microphone.. or people, but at least i know im not the only one getting microphone shy ;). I think i managed to record the whole song maybe 3-4 times. This was my best one 🙂

I hope it works

betsy_manning
    Participant

Hello Gahanby,
    That was awesome! Love your style and embellishments.

Yes, I found out I’m video shy! Yikes! Can’t shut me up at open mic. Lol
    Cheers!
    Betsy

Gaby
    Participant

Thank you! 🙂

Open mic sounds fun! But i can hardly perform in front of family, let alone strangers. But i admire everyone who has that ability 🙂

soraya06
    Participant

@becky7777 and @lakeside339 Sorry for my late reply,i’ve been a little MIA lately 🙂 Thank you for your suggestions ! Sadly the only music store we had in town went broke so i guess i have to seek out if there is a luthier somewhere here in the south….My next uke purchase will most definately be one with a custom setup done by the seller,seeing i am going to treat myself on my one year ukelele anniversary with either a koaloha or blackbird tenor (haven’t decided yet) and they both deserve the best setup they can get 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by soraya06.
    soraya06
    Participant

@richo_uke Aaaw thank you so much ! Yes it took me a day to learn and record it, i guess i am a fast learner in that regards 🙂 Everyone has their own pace and that’s totally fine. The most important thing is that it brings you joy and fulfillment. It sure does that to me,it brings me immense joy to learn and play new things:) i am convinced you will play a beautiful rendition of dream a little dream ! Are you still able to upload your version before the deadline ?

soraya06
    Participant

Here’s another entry for the april challenge,just for fun, cause why not ?!? I notice that i get really nervous when i hit the button to record a song. It’s like i say to myself : and now the whole song has to be perfect in one go. but of course that never happens and you only pscyhe yourself up and end up making mistakes you normally never make when you’re offline. Does any one of you relate to that or is it just me being a crazy perfectionist ? These challenges are a great lesson for me to accept the imperfect and just upload it anyway 🙂

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

marion2017

Soraya06: omg! Everytime I hit record I buzz strings, mess up Barre chords, my brain goes blank… you name it. Very frustrating.

stianukulele

@soraya06 I know the struggle, I think this apply to almost all musicians..
    I also think that it don’t have to be 100% perfect, I can even hear errors in some of Beatles most famous songs, it just give the song a human touch.

That said, well played in your second entry 🙂

lisadmh
    Participant

Soraya, definitely. I freeze up as soon add I hit record, even after multiple takes. Striving for perfection for the recording causes so many extra mistakes.

At least, I tell myself I usually sound better than what I’m hearing on the darned recording!

marion2017

Gahanby: love the embellishments you added to your entry!

soraya06
    Participant

@marion2017 arrghh i know, its super frustrating, i get the brain freezes a lot too. Like sometimes my mind goes blank and i suddenly don’t remember what came next when i record. Hopefully when we all do it more and get used to recording it will become more relaxed 🙂

@stianukulele
    Thank you so much ! I totally agree with you on that. I think its a very good lesson for me at this moment to let go of my perfectionist mindset and embrace the imperfect.

@lisadmh
    yes hahaha we sure do ! Good to know i am not the only one out here that struggles with these issues 🙂

holly1

Hi All!

*I am a premium member*
    Here is my sub for the April Challenge… Dream a little dream of me. It took quite a few takes to get this one recorded. No fun having small hands, lol.

Looking forward to May’s challenge. : )

Holly (premium member)

bzediver

There is an old cliche that is: Perfect is the enemy of good.
    I read a post yesterday that said something to the effect that if you’re just playing for yourself then you’re really not stretching yourself as you should be.
    There are many other online ukulele courses that can attempt to teach technique but I don’t know if any of them encourage performance as well as this course does. It’s encouraging to see the amazing progress that others have made in a year or more and know that they still struggle when recording. It really is just as encouraging to see first timers like myself. For work I was asked to do presentations. At first I strongly objected to the idea and the first few times presenting I was pretty bad at it. But I got good constructive feedback and after a few hundred times I think I was alright.
    Tim H

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.