Participate in the April 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Uke!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Uke!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 305 total)
  • Author
    lyndallk
    Participant

Hi Andrew

I’m working on “In my life” and for some reason I’m having real trouble with the timing of bar 33. I can count it out, but can’t seem to hear it when moving from 32 to 33. Any tips? I’ve listened to you play, but its fast so I can’t quite catch it.

Thanks
    Lyndall

soraya06
    Participant

@andrew Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback !

I think its really awesome that you take your time to do these response video’s for us and give us pointers how to improve our playing, really really appreciate it 🙂

I will take your tips on board, be more mindful on how i end songs and apply the retardando in the future 🙂

I have started to learn stand by me today but boy its super challenging for me…. I have been playing for just a couple of months and have never seriously played a lot of songs with so much pull offs/ hammer ons and slides,it’s kicking my butt Lol
    Do the strings and set up of your uke influence the sound and feel of these techniques ? cause i noticed that the pull offs and hammer ons seem so much easier,and sound more pronounced, when played on my crappy concert uke which has aquila new nylguts on them and has a fairly low action and quite a loose string tension. Whereas my Pono tenor has fluorocarbon strings ( living water low g) a much higher action and the string tension is also higher. Any thoughts/tips/ideas on how i can make it work on my tenor without spraining my fingers ?

Andrew
    Keymaster

@lyndallk – Try to sing it, instead of counting. It’s also played in free time or rubato. So you can interpret it any way you wish.

@soraya06
    – Sounds like the Pono needs a light setup to lower the action. Can you take it to a shop to perform this at?

soraya06
    Participant

@andrew unfortunately no 🙁 There is one music shop in my town ( i live in maastricht in the netherlands) and they don’t even sell ukelele’s or even strings. It’s actually quite difficult to buy or get information about ukes in Holland cause its a very unpopular instrument in my country. I will look online to see if there is a luthier somewhere in my vicinty that can do a set up but i doubt it….

deadbuggy
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

To quote Rocky & Bullwinkle: Now Here’s Something We Hope You Really Like!

I was inspired by Brenna’s take on Dream. And I took possession of a brand new Ohana Sopranissimo uke yesterday. And like chocolate and peanut butter, the two just came together like a … dream. FYI, it’s not easy to play these teeny tiny ukes but the ‘cute’ factor is worth the effort.

Many congrats, Andrew and your team on 300 lessons! I’m working on A Thousand Years as well and hope to post my attempt later this month.

Cheers all!

rickkhan
    Participant

Hi Andrew,
    Thanks for the feedback. Yep, I was way too distracted. I will record again and post soon. Began learning ‘Dream a Little Dream’.
    Rick

brenna
    Participant

😊😊😊👍👍👍
    I like it very very much!!!

laurasil
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback! Will work on it when I get the chance 🙂

miztaken
    Participant

@deadbuggy that is awesome!
    My first impression of your sopranissimo: “It’s like she is playing on a bean!!”
    I am really impressed at how good you make it sound.

becky7777
    Participant

Deadbuggy your uke is so cute and tiny lol. Jakeypoo is the only other person i’ve seen/heard playing one here. 🙂

becky7777
    Participant

Soraya –

If you can find a luthier that works on guitars, they can probably lower the action on your ukulele correctly so you don’t hurt your fingers.

If you ask a shop that sells guitars they might help you find a luthier locally too.

lakeside339
    Participant

@soraya06 – if the music store even works on any string instruments (guitar) I’d think they might be able to lower the action. I’m discovering a good setup on a uke makes a big difference on how hard or easy it is to play. Personally, I’ve decided I will now only buy future ukes online from a dealer who does a full set up before they ship it (like Uke Republic). They won’t in my local shops.

lyndallk
    Participant

@deadbuggy Gotta love that little uke. Great playing too.

deadbuggy
    Participant

Thanks all for the kind words. Little ukes are an absolute hoot!

deadbuggy
    Participant

Well, it’s been A Thousand Years since we could sit outside and enjoy the weather in Michigan. So here’s my attempt at this piece.Trying to work on dynamics and feel; sadly it falls apart toward the end but at least you can listen to the birds in the background.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.