Participate in the April 2020 Member Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2020 Member Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 345 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Rock Class 101 Community!

We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #37! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a P-1 Pineapple Ukulele! This model is brand new for 2020 and retails at $1,370 USD.

I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 1,500+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!

Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.

Pick 1 from the following 4 Rock Class 101 Hawaiian & Jamaican Lessons:

1) “Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)” * – A Jamaican folk song with a melody that’s guaranteed to put a smile on your face! This fingerstyle arrangement is played alongside a U-Bass and Cajón backing track. * Taught in its Entirety for FREE! Playing with the backing track is OPTIONAL.

2) “Loke Lani” by Ernest Ka’ai * – This traditional Hawaiian song has an adorable melody, but also serves as an etude to help you master the triplet strum. * Taught in its Entirety for FREE!

3) “Hone A Ka Wai” by Ernest Ka’ai * – A beautiful Hawaiian melody set to the rhythm of a waltz. * Taught in its Entirety for FREE!

4) “Bodysurfing” by Herb Ohta – This instrumental jam is one of the most iconic compositions tied to ukulele music. FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **

GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:

1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂

Recommended Piece: “Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)” OR “Loke Lani”

2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.

Recommended Piece: “Hone A Ka Wai” OR “Bodysurfing”

3. Participation Goal: 100 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.

GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:

1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 Hawaiian Song pieces anytime between Wednesday, April 1st till Thursday, April 30th, 11:59pm EST.

The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:

YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel

SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin

2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.

3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.

4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.

5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.

* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.

COMMON FAQs:

1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!

2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.

3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.

4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:

YouTube URL

5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.

Giveaway Rules:

There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:

First Chance: Participate in our April Challenge: Hawaiian Themed!

Second Chance: Participate in our May Challenge.

Third Chance: Participate in our June Challenge.

Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On July 4th, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.

Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.

Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize. You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of April and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).

YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.

Grand Prize:

1) $1,370 Grand Prize! Includes:

A) Kanile’a P-1 Pineapple Tenor Ukulele (Includes: a black hard foam case)

null

null

null

null

null

LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED!

UKULELE SPECS

Solid Select Straight Grain Koa body
    Gloss Body, Silk Neck Finish
    Solid Mahogany neck
    Ebony fingerboard, bridge and head plate
    Kanile`a Cobra headstock
    Gold Kanile`a Open Geared Tuners
    Ebony bridge pins
    NuBone nut and saddle
    White Mother-of-Pearl position markers
    Kanile`a Pineapple K logo
    UV cured finish

Other Features: Includes a black hard foam case

THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!

Kanile’a: https://www.kanileaukulele.com/

Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/

AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!

samash07
    Participant

That’s one gorgeous prize! Whoever wins that is gonna be one super lucky person.

Time to get busy again. Thanks for the awesome opportunity Andrew, regardless of who wins… these challenges definitely help us to keep going and striving to get better.

Let’s crush it!

lisadmh
    Participant

Ooooooh. Pretty uke.

I might do both of the easy ones? Easy is where I’m at right now. 😂 Will try to do both.

olphart
    Participant

Looks like I’m out of it for the time being. My left thumb has developed a nasty issue, which may be arthritis or tenosynovitis, or both. That makes fretting really painful, especially anything requiring a barr, like the B shape or D. Reaching across the neck at all is pretty uncomfortable, so I’m limited to songs that use only C, Am7 and C7. LMAO!
    I still noodle around a bit for a few minutes a day, but that’s about it.
    What really burns my butt is that I recently got a Rebel Particle that is a real dream to play, and there it sits…
    Working on getting the thumb issue worked out, but not much progress so far.
    Oh, and here’s a couple of pics of the Rebel.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@olphart – Steve Vai went live today with a tip on dealing with arthritis. Check out the video and jump 23:15 into it. Hope it helps!

olphart
    Participant

Thanks Andrew!

cloud_cactus
    Participant

I would like to learn Bodysurfing this month, but I already am learning a different arrangement and I don’t want to confuse the two. One is challenging enough! lol Also I can’t cuz I’m not premium…so I guess I’m doing Hone A Ka Wai. I’m excited!

laurasil
    Participant

I couldn’t learn the solo because I’m not a premium member, so this is NOT my entry. I just wanted to share, because I was very excited to learn this :p

funtime2018
    Participant

Hi, in bar 11 of Loke LAni the F6 chord is challenging – My pinkie doesn’t cooperate. Other than practice, practice, practice is there a F6 modification or an alternate chord I can try? Thank you!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@funtime2018 – Get rid of the 4th string, 2nd fret. That should make the stretch easier. Also, check out this lesson for exercises that help increase your left hand reach.

robinboyd
    Participant

Wow, great job @laurasil

omaon4
    Participant

Wow, Laurasil.that was fast! Good job!

funtime2018
    Participant

Holy smokes! Thank you Andrew – dropping the 4th fret works. I’ll work on the stretch as you pointed out.

sgorsuch
    Participant

What a cool site this is!I am a beginner and will try Day-O.Thanks Rock Class 101. I have a month , but I am nervous just replying to this. Cheers everyone.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@laurasil – that was amazing, Laura! I set your account up w/ premium. I’d love to see you tackle the solo. Keep up the great work and I’ll be sharing your video in our email newsletter this Friday 🙂

@funtime2018
    – My pleasure!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 345 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.