Participate in the April 2020 Member Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2020 Member Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 345 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@zerratheterra – Unfortunately, any entries submitted beyond the deadline will not be counted for the giveaway. Sorry! But there are two more months to participate in 🙂 Hope you join us for May and June!

maryjanew
    Participant

Hey Andrew,
    do you only give feedback for the entries that were on time? What about late entries? I’m learning…
    I need help for playing in time to a backing track and for memorizing.
    Sometimes my fingers do their own thing and don’t listen to my brain!! ;-p
    I’m torn between picking which piece I should tackle for the May challenge.
    I love the original “In the North” But “Malaguena” is more melodically familiar, though I have never learned it. “Ain’t No Sunshine…” is so emotionally driven, love that song. I would NOT try and sing that one.
    I guess this is over 10 years old but have you seen this guy do Ain”t No Sunshine?? (Mind Blown)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by maryjanew.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 16.

sgwarren – I don’t know what to say… Let me know if you’re interested in making performance videos for us. Total pro playing!!

kkaszuba – killer job for 6 months! Triplet strum sounds good and the technique looks fine. What I would do is slow the tempo down and work on keeping it steady. Work on 4 bar sections at a time. When you get comfortable with one section, do the next section, and then build it from there.

goody2shoes – that was awesome! The piece flows well and has a great feel overall. One thing I would experiment with is plucking the harmony chords a touch softer. That will help the melody pop and stand out more.

b_ukes_101 – Excellent!! Triplet strum sounds great! One thing I want you to do is to slow down and work on keeping your timing a bit steadier. Try this: Take a four bar section and loop it in the tab player. Slow it down to 65% speed. When you get comfortable with that, try the next four bars. Then put those eight bars together. After that try to increase the speed by 5 to 10%. Repeat this process for the rest of the tune.

And check out this lesson/article. It talks about where to place your right hand when fingerpicking. So in your video, I see you’re holding onto the end of the neck. That’s something that we don’t want to do, but it’s an easy fix 🙂

ukuleleloo – beautiful playing, Lucinda! The only thing I can suggest is to work on cleaning up any notes or chords that aren’t ringing out.

laurakarr12 – you did a wonderful job getting it to sustain, sounds very pretty! I’d double down your practice on the campanella runs and work towards gradually increasing the overall tempo.

philbateau – awesome first entry! Sounds great overall. I’d recommend playing with the tab player. You’ll have Matt’s playing as a guide and the backing track to help you stay locked into the groove. Both of which will help reinforce your timing.

timtamaus – so good!! You sound great, so keep doing what you’re doing – but, I want you to memorize it. So that’s my challenge for you 🙂

ivo_zag – Well done! I’d recommend slowing the tempo down so you can focus on getting the triplet strum consistent for each time. So if you listen back to the performance, you’ll hear that you nail the rhythm sometimes, but other times it sounds like swung 8th notes. Should be an easy fix, once you get more comfortable with performing the strum.

And great job on the fingerpicking section!

cimarronsailor – beautiful playing! Keep up the great work 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 17.

kellyblackburn – that was awesome, Kelly! Great feel and phrasing. 🙂

riley_ukulele – Sounds great overall! Check out this video that I made for another member earlier this month. It talks about keeping a consistent feel in your use of rubato. I think it’ll give you a few ideas with how you approach using it in your playing too.

Oh and don’t forget to tune your ukulele before recording.

marksearles – great job, Mark! The only thing I can suggest is to slow the tempo down so you can focus on getting every strum to be crystal clear. Keep up the great work!

jayton – well done! I’d experiment with adding some rubato to your playing. Check out the video I linked above for, riley_ukulele. The second half of that video talks about how I’d approach using rubato for this tune.

charlie3 – Here is my feedback for you. And here is the lesson I referenced.

bklynsoul – well done! I’d actually recommend the same advice I left above for, jayton.

rufio0 – Great job, Ilija! So with this song I’d actually recommend to play a little bit slower. Also check out the advice I left above for, Jayton. It talks about adding rubato, which works really well on this tune.

lhamilton
    Participant

Hi,

I think the feedback missed my Page 14 Loke Lani. I’m a bit curious if my triplets were passable. Thanks.

Linda

kkaszuba
    Participant

Wow, thanks, Andrew! Continuing to work on Loke Lani with your comments in mind while starting to work on May’s challenge — Malagueña!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@lhamilton – They sound great! I’d slow the tempo down a bit to practice nailing it each time. But technique looks good, keep up the great work!

lhamilton
    Participant

Wonderful! Thanks, Andrew! I’d managed to do triple strums from following instructions, but this is the first time I’ve had an occasion to try doing a piece that actually used them.

Linda

wongbrown

Hi Andrew, I am on page17 but didn’t see your feedback. Am I looking at the right thing? Cheers

Andrew
    Keymaster

@wongbrown – Hi Sheila, so the backbeat should only be on beats 2 and 4. Try and draw an X on the tab over the hits on those beats. It will help you to visually see when it should happen.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is everyone on page 18. Due to the large amount of entries, we’re only going to be leaving feedback on first entries.

—-

smudge – excellent job! Triplet strum sounds great 🙂 the only suggestion I have is to memorize the piece.

verity2003 – great job! I’d recommend playing with the tab player. You’ll have Matt’s playing as a guide and the backing track to help you stay locked into the groove. Both of which will help reinforce your timing.

But here’s the big thing: Work on 4 bar sections at a time. When you get comfortable with one section, do the next section, and then build it from there.

katariin – beautiful playing and great feel 🙂

apblondie – sounds great, Ashlee! Sometimes, you’re getting a little bit ahead of the beat, so what I would do is play along with the tab player. Matt’s playing will act as a guide and help you stay locked into the groove. Keep up the great work!

mfaske – sounds awesome! Super clean and timing sounds spot on in the strumming section. But I would put a little bit more practice in the fingerpicking section to keep it steadier. Overall, great job!

mljordan3 – killer job on the timing with no backing track! Very impressive! Your playing has a lovely tone. Fantastic submission, keep up the great work and thank you for the kind words!

nosferatu – playing sounds great! I think with a little bit more practice the very minor things (i.e. note clarity on some of the campanella walk ups) can be eliminated.

isabelm – awesome start! Try to straighten your index finger when doing the partial barre, it should help get that second string note to ring out better.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you an entry for this month since you didn’t perform the entire arrangement. But major props for tackling an advanced piece!

planetfink
    Participant

Feedback for page 14 coming up any time soon?

rickeymike
    Participant

Hey Finkenstein, See page 19. Stephen’s feedback to you on 4/30.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is everyone on page 19.

rickeymike – here is my feedback for you 🙂

magnuselvar – I think you’ve got a great base established! I’d recommend playing with the tab player. You’ll have Matt’s playing as a guide and the backing track to help you stay locked into the groove. Both of which will help reinforce your timing.

But here’s the big thing: Work on 4 bar sections at a time. When you get comfortable with one section, do the next section, and then build it from there.

santai – awesome performance, Marvin! If I have to be really nit-picky, I’d say keep working on the technique so that you nail it every time – but there was only a few times you didn’t. You did a great job, keep it up!

P.S. this advice goes for me too, LOL 🙂

leosteelz0 – excellent job! Super clean playing and your timing sounds great! At this point, what I suggest is to challenge yourself to play a little bit faster – not a lot – but try 5 or 10 bpm faster, and when that becomes comfortable, bump it another 5 or 10.

jonathan_gabel – awesome job on the timing w/out the backing track. I’m impressed! Your playing sounds great as well. Keep up the great work 🙂

akichman – well done! So the thing that I would recommend is to actually slow it down a little bit, that way you can focus on getting every hit crystal clear – notes, chords, strum attack, etc.

So try about a quarter of the speed you played it at slower. When you’ve got it down clean, try to boost the tempo marginally up. When you get comfortable there, repeat.

cloud_cactus – great job, Brinley! So you definitely got the tune down, but I would practice on mastering one section at a time, and building it piece by piece.

Check out our “how to practice” guide. This was our first lesson in music college, literally on day one, and it’s worth its weight in gold 🙂

golf39 – here is my feedback for you 🙂

gardn_gnome – great job! So I’d actually recommend the same advice I left above for, magnuselvar.

joannetala – killer playing on the strumming section, Joanne! I think that’s some of the best playing I’ve heard from you 🙂

The one critic I do have is that you want to try to match the tempo of the fingerpicked section to the strumming section. So keep working on bringing that up to the same tempo.

mac1984 – awesome job! Fingerpicked section sounds great and you’ve got the triplet strum down, but work on getting it more consistent so that you nail it each time. And the best way to do that is just to slow the tempo down and work it up to speed. Keep up the great work!

sprintingyogini – welcome back, Wendy! That was a solid performance, bravo! And I love the backdrop 🙂

johnnyquickpants – here is my feedback for you 🙂

rickeymike
    Participant

Drew, Now I would have never thought of that i.e. simplifying the D chord; because you are right, that is a struggle chord for me. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 345 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.