Participate in the April 2020 Member Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2020 Member Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 345 total)
  • Author
    wongbrown

Thanks Andrew. Will work on it.

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 20:

ukulelemaster3000 – You’re doing a wonderful job, especially for your first ukulele song! You have a great sense of timing, and you have the notes down. Now it’s time to work a bit more on the intro to get those triplets down at full speed. My main advice is to pluck a little lighter in certain places throughout the song to get the best tone out of your ukulele. You’re doing great!

hotshot – Very well played, you’re definitely living up to your username! Now that you have the notes and the timing really solid, it’s time to make the note runs a bit smoother and more connected (legato). The way to do this is to leave the left hand fingers down until the next note is played, and to make sure the plucking hand isn’t stopping the strings from vibrating too soon. You are doing an amazing job, this will just add a little bit of extra style to your playing!

nitsur – The camera seems to always do that to me as well! It’s tougher than stage fright sometimes! You’re doing a great job in spite of this. The main thing to focus on is keeping a steady tempo throughout the song even if it’s slower than your current speed. Having a metronome or something keeping you in time gets your brain to be a bit quicker under pressure, and to acclimate to how far ahead it needs to think to avoid hesitating. You’re doing a great job, keep it up!

bzediver – That’s a very cool ukulele! Over all, you are playing very well on this, but there are a few spots where you are pausing in a very similar spot that does not have a pause: 30 seconds, 39 seconds, and 48 seconds in do not have space after the initial chord. I recommend playing along with the on screen tab player or slowing down the youtube play along to internalize the rhythm in these sections. You’re off to a great start, keep it up!

uku_on – It’s tough to edit video and play in time! I recommend recording to a metronome and using a program that you can line the takes up to each other in. On the intro part, you are still playing a kind of skipping rhythm where some of the notes are slightly longer than others, but they should all be equally as long. Keep working on it, you’re definitely making progress! Your tone and technique are great!

emiliano – You are doing an awesome job with the triplet strum! Very well played all around. Your dog makes the video…they seem to enjoy your ukulele playing a lot. Keep up the great playing!

jinajupiter – I love your cool “self collaboration” performances! This one is great! With the electric ukulele and distortion, you have to mute the strings more than you would without distortion. I recommend having just a tiny bit less distortion and working a lot on muting strings not played with the right hand. It takes some getting used to, you’re definitely off to a wonderful start, and I love the cha cha feel!

shmu88 – Great job on this! Your sense of timing is good, I think it’s just a matter of really practicing and memorizing the rhythms on a few spots so they don’t catch you off guard when performing. Another thing that helps is to go through this performance and mark the spots where you had the rhythm different, and spend a little bit of time isolating those parts of the song and play them until they become second nature. You’re doing a good job, keep it up!

puppylovesuke – You have a very nice feel on this one, and it seems like once you spend a little bit more time on the shifts and notes at 0:40 to 0:43 you’ll have it flawless. Then you can exaggerate the volume and tempo swells for effect if you would like. Wonderful job on this one!

ronnieg – Congratulations on your first challenge entry! Your triplet strum sounds excellent! I think you are ready to speed this one up a bit once you feel a bit more comfortable with the fingerpicking. If you practice a bit more, your mind wandering won’t get in the way of your muscle memory! This is a very great first entry! Keep it up!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here are folks on page 21 that submitted within our deadline.

johnnyrotten – your playing sounds great and I’m glad you joined us for your first challenge! 🙂

So timing wise, you’re playing the phrases well, but you want to work on connecting one phrase to the next while keeping the timing steady. And the best way to do this is to tackle four or eight bar sections at a time. Master that before moving on to the next section.

ukukelley1 – well done, Sheryl! I dig the relaxed feel. So two things come to mind. One is to keep working on the campanella runs; Try to get those a little bit more fluid. But I also think you should push yourself to go a little bit faster on this one. I think that’d be a good challenge for you.

omaon4 – great job! I’d leave out the backbeat for the moment and would recommend playing with the tab player. You’ll have Matt’s playing as a guide and the backing track to help you stay locked into the groove. Both of which will help reinforce your timing.

But here’s the big thing: Work on 4 bar sections at a time. When you get comfortable with one section, do the next section, and then build it from there. After working through the song this way, I’d go back and add the backbeat, but make sure you add it only to beats 2 & 4.

macdog – the triplet run sounded awesome, Greg! Definitely can tell you put some work into it! Rest of it was great too. It sounds like you just need to memorize it fully. That’ll help you connect each phrase and keep it steady throughout. So I’d say with a little bit more practice, you’ll have it rockin’! 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

Wow! 141 members joined us for this month’s challenge, with a few more posting an additional performance on a second tune! Stephen and I are BLOWN AWAY by how amazing everyone did! Big round of applause to everyone who participated this month. 🙂

Our May Challenge is LIVE and the theme is “Mixed Bag” (i.e. 4 completely unique songs from one another). We have quite a few entries in already! I hope each of you join us again.

Below, I will post a list of members who participated in the April challenge for your first chance to win the Kanile’a Ukulele. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

—-

deadbuggy
    deadbuggy
    lisamcc
    lisamcc
    cncamacho
    cncamacho
    noonka
    noonka
    morrieuke1
    morrieuke1
    raffybaking
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    voyager
    voyager
    unclemymy
    unclemymy
    taylor22jane
    taylor22jane
    rebeca
    ukelars
    lildevil
    lildevil
    johanna2509
    johanna2509
    alex2531255
    laurasil
    hiloukes
    willymac
    willymac
    tric_o_tronic
    tric_o_tronic
    lisa-k
    lisa-k
    nthibode
    nthibode
    gstriph
    gstriph
    uku_on
    uku_on
    kirpuff
    kirpuff
    nproost
    nproost
    rfritz3
    rfritz3
    surfnrz
    surfnrz
    barbecueblack
    barbecueblack
    dennisdickens
    dennisdickens
    lyndallk
    lyndallk
    aloooy
    aloooy
    eszti5mail
    eszti5mail
    brettboy
    brettboy
    marianne
    marygrace
    marygrace
    lisadmh
    lisadmh
    funtime2018
    funtime2018
    andrewvh
    andrewvh
    sticks366
    sticks366
    turkgoose
    turkgoose
    rockmyuke
    rockmyuke
    janelletingey
    janelletingey
    joe150
    joe150
    wongbrown
    wongbrown
    alisefrenchyuky
    alisefrenchyuky
    threepwoodjones
    mr_moltes
    Catherine
    Catherine
    karenj
    karenj
    jedart
    stianukulele
    timolnz
    timolnz
    nathalie
    nathalie
    tim0721
    tim0721
    oldan_
    oldan_
    eyka321
    eyka321
    mszatanik
    mszatanik
    dorabr
    kaidunc
    kaidunc
    elealong12
    holly1
    holly1
    brightwing
    debb1985
    debb1985
    kanae926
    kanae926
    lhamilton
    lhamilton
    cyukug
    cyukug
    simonalexander
    artcrocker
    sgorsuch
    sgorsuch
    amandali
    amandali
    hawaiihaze
    hawaiihaze
    miztaken
    miztaken
    andracass
    andracass
    juanita
    andyrose
    andyrose
    camifromtherfarpatagonia
    peiching
    jkulele
    jkulele
    planetfink
    planetfink
    yooki-h
    ccwuke
    ccwuke
    dal08260
    rustypal
    rustypal
    givingtree89
    givingtree89
    tiff27
    smokealot
    smokealot
    iyers408
    iyers408
    coffeemug
    coffeemug
    kayleighb
    kayleighb
    lisotta
    lisotta
    mark1256
    mark1256
    sgwarren
    sgwarren
    kkaszuba
    kkaszuba
    goody2shoes
    goody2shoes
    b_ukes_101
    b_ukes_101
    ukuleleloo
    ukuleleloo
    laurakarr12
    laurakarr12
    philbateau
    philbateau
    timtamaus
    ivo_zag
    cimarronsailor
    cimarronsailor
    kellyblackburn
    kellyblackburn
    riley_ukulele
    riley_ukulele
    marksearles
    jayton
    jayton
    charlie3
    charlie3
    bklynsoul
    bklynsoul
    rufio0
    rufio0
    smudge
    smudge
    verity2003
    verity2003
    katariin
    katariin
    apblondie
    apblondie
    mfaske
    mfaske
    mljordan3
    mljordan3
    nosferatu
    rickeymike
    rickeymike
    magnuselvar
    magnuselvar
    santai
    santai
    leosteelz0
    leosteelz0
    jonathan_gabel
    jonathan_gabel
    akichman
    akichman
    cloud_cactus
    golf39
    golf39
    gardn_gnome
    gardn_gnome
    joannetala
    joannetala
    mac1984
    mac1984
    sprintingyogini
    sprintingyogini
    johnnyquickpants
    johnnyquickpants
    ukulelemaster3000
    hotshot
    nitsur
    nitsur
    bzediver
    bzediver
    emiliano
    emiliano
    jinajupiter
    shmu88
    shmu88
    puppylovesuke
    puppylovesuke
    ronnieg
    ronnieg
    johnnyrotten
    johnnyrotten
    ukukelley1
    ukukelley1
    omaon4
    omaon4
    macdog
    macdog

golf39

Thank you so much for the feedback Andrew, much appreciated. That was such a fun song to learn but that solo was a doozy!

leosteelz0
    Participant

Thanks Andrew, I’ll work on it! Also I wanted to ask if it’s ok to play Out jn the North on a high G?

Andrew
    Keymaster

@leosteelz0 – yes!

johnnyrotten

Thanks Andrew! I love the personal feedback you provide to each and every one of us. I’m working diligently on Out in the North and hope to get another entry in for that beautiful pineapple! I know it’s not the instrument that make the master, but it sure doesn’t hurt!

santai
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback!
    There was an incredible lot of submissions this month. You keep so many people motivated – awesome job! 🙂

jinajupiter
    Participant

Thanks Stephen, that is indeed a new challenge for me 🙂 honestly no idea how to mute the open strings that resonate along, but I will ask some of my guitarists friends.

laurasil
    Participant

Hi Andrew! I don’t see myself in the list 🤭

Andrew
    Keymaster

@laurasil – TY! I fixed it 🙂

philbateau

Hi Andrew. Thank you very much for the feedback. I only now realised that you can enlarge the player to full screen and have a count-in 😮

hotshot
    Participant

@Andrew. Thank you for the April challenge feedback. I just now saw it after posting my May challenge video, so I’ll definitely work on your suggestions for the June challenge.
    Also, I forgot to say I AM A PREMIER MEMBER on the April challenge to get 2 entries. Is it possible to fix that?
    You’re an awesome uke player and teacher!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@hotshot – Got it! And TY!!

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 345 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.