Participate in the August 2020 Member Challenge – Theme: Songs You Requested!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the August 2020 Member Challenge – Theme: Songs You Requested!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 143 total)
  • Author
    rickeymike
    Participant

Great playing Everyone!

Drew: When I click on the student’s link in your critique, it brings me to their profile. It used to bring me to the actual performance.
    Great feedback videos on the accenting and dynamics for Rainbow. I’m trying my best to do this with my banjolee. I’m not sure it can handle it well…..inherently tinny and loud? ha.

lisadmh
    Participant

Here’s my submission. It was harder than usual to memorize, with all the variations on the F, but I eventually got it down.

I worked on dynamics on this one, with some help from Stephen. I’ve been wanting to get better at dynamics, and this seemed like the right song to push myself on. I’ve finally reached the point where getting the right notes, in the right order, at the right time is not enough for me. I’m pretty new to dynamics.

How did I do?

rickeymike
    Participant

Lisa: Wonderful, Wonderful! Impressive. Feel the music. Be the music.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@lisadmh – Bravo! You’ve improved so much since your first video, it’s extremely impressive! I think you def accomplished what you set out to with this piece. Your feel is really developing and great use of ritardando. Well done!

lisadmh
    Participant

Thank you Andrew! I think I’m finally seeing some of that progress you’ve mentioned. Yay! This one feels good.

henri0
    Participant

Another Rainbow Connection :] To my ears there can never be enough rainbow connection!

Having so much fun learning this one. And it’s a lot more complex to master I think, than instantly memorise/play through.

Have struggled to stick to my own deadline for submitting! Finally done so as have sadly lost my nail on my ring finger – the angle I have to use to get the strong ring I want out if it is a bit too far of a stretch to maintain for the full song…but it will grow back. So a work in progress, but think this is a reasonably fair representation of where I’m at, except this version I use very little thumb…have attempted more in other variations.

henri0
    Participant

Oh yeah! And I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

which gives me an excuse to share my genuine favourite version I *nearly* nailed until some clearly Kermit/frog inspired sabotage occurred 😀

taylor22jane
    Participant

Love this tune!!
    Spent the last week adding more dynamics and getting the sustain right… props to all the submissions because it’s harder than it looks!! 🙂

nthibode

Today was a ukulele-in-a-hammock kind of day. Perfect for playing Rainbow Connection.

Nice playing, everyone! See you next month.

biancak
    Participant

Hi Andrew, Thanks for the feedback.
    I don’t know why, but I find the quarter note triplets most difficult to play after four eight notes, I tend to get them syncopated I guess… they are usually ok after a half note, or two quarter notes or eight note triplets. Now the more I practice this, the less sure I am that I’m getting it right… 😮

rickeymike
    Participant

Nat, that was so soothingly nice! I’m still searching for a rainbow or kermit decor. ha.

rickeymike
    Participant

Love it Taylor Jane, super slide finish!

rickeymike
    Participant

Too funny, HenriO. With just one note to go. Well done.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@henri0 – That was a very beautiful performance! I really liked that you used a different strum attack other than the thumb, and especially that you varied it. The arpeggiated strum was a nice touch! I really don’t have any critiques, it was awesome overall! Keep up the great work 🙂

@taylor22jane
    – That was awesome, Taylor! Very well played and I love seeing you guys focus on developing the subtleties in your playing. I thought you did a great job on both aspects that you mentioned, keep up the great work!

@nthibode
    – Well done, Nathalie! So you already know that I’m a big fan of your playing – you always have a good feel. I think the performance overall was very good, but they were two spots that, to me, seems to conflict the overall vibe, which is laid-back, relaxed.

The first spot was the phrase at 17 seconds and the second is the last note at 52 seconds. For the former, I think you held the top half of that G a little too long – almost like it was a fermata instead of rubato and then rushed the 2 notes that followed. And the latter, was similar to that ending, as that last note was rushed in comparison to the phrase.

SO – this has been Andrew, who has nitpicked your performance LOL. But what I’m giving you is the same thoughts that would go through my head if it was my performance, and therefore IMO what I would change.

nthibode

Thanks @rickeymike and @Andrew! I thought you might point those out. The changes in timing were deliberate — I sing the lyrics in my head and that’s how Kermit sounds to me when he says “songs.. about rainbows” and “choose to.. believe it” (it has a bit more swing than the tabs). No worries, I won’t make a habit of veering off the tabs. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 143 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.