Participate in the August 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Bamboo Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the August 2022 Member Challenge: WIN Bamboo Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 6.

@biancak
    – Beautiful playing on both tunes πŸ™‚

@themccoys
    – Such a lovely take with excellent pacing. Well done, Emily!

@karenj
    – I think you nailed the vibe. Gorgeous view with playing to match πŸ™‚

Timing sounded fine to me. I wouldn’t worry too much about trying to keep it perfectly steady, this is a great one for playing with rubato.

@jeetmann
    – Excellent playing! I really enjoyed watching your performance πŸ™‚

@nelsonlin2021
    – Beautiful playing and thank you for the kind words, Nelson. I thought you did a great job with timing and the right hand pattern. Try playing the song every time you practice as a warm-up. That’ll reinforce the muscle memory for the right hand pattern, and before you know it, you’ll nail it each time πŸ™‚

@leb397
    – Beautiful playing on both tunes! There’s only two things I want to mention for FP Etude 13. First, double check the form as it sounds like you substituted bars 3 and 4 for later ones. Second, during the walk down melody, try not to lift pressure up immediately after playing the melody notes on the A string. I want to hear those notes sustain a bit more. And when you slide down/up from each note, don’t lift completely up. You want to keep contact with the string, but lightly touch it. The same way you would touch them to do a muted strum.

@santai
    – Welcome back, Marvin! Playing sounds great πŸ™‚

@sylus9
    – Excellent playing! Couple things I want to mention. Double check the form for the A melody. After the repeat, you want to jump from bar 4 to bar 9. Second, I want you to try looping 4 bars at a time. Play along to a metronome or the tab player in synthetic mode. Focus on timing and transitions. When you master the first 4, move on to the next 4, then piece the 8 together. Build the song this way.

@jbmills07
    – Great playing! I’ve noticed that it’s sometimes harder to play slow than it is to play fast. I know, it sounds totally contradicting lol. But as you continue to practice, focus on going slower and I think that will also help you with transitioning from the first picking pattern to the second.

tessiert
    Participant

Hi all,

So, I may have bitten off more than I could chew this month. I liked the tune of Etude 5 much more than the beginner level song, so I tried my first intermediate piece. I also feel that I was misled by Andrew’s effortless playing and only realized how fast the tempo is after it was too late. πŸ˜‰ With the planets aligned and the wind at my back, I feel like I can just eek out a take at about 90% speed. Anyway, fast is fun!

Best,

Trace

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by tessiert.
    sarahd
    Participant

This time last year I was busy trying to get a decent take of “Morning Dew” and it’s still one of my favourites to play. Here’s another lovely tune written by Andrew and not done justice by me. My right hand seems to do fine as long as I don’t think about it (if I do, it all goes horribly wrong!), I just need to train my left hand to make those transitions a little faster!

dividedsky
    Participant

I am a premium member.

Here is my submission of Fingerpicking Etude no. 13. This was really fun to play!

Jane

moonshine
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER and once again submitting a less than polished recording just before the deadline. This was a tough one!

maryjanew
    Participant

I didn’t think I was going to have any time to post this month. I found some time today at the last minute! I recorded Etude # 13 because that’s all I had time for and it is not up to speed, because I only started today 😩.
    I really wanted to learn Travis Picking and this song had a small amount of that. I hope to go back and learn Etude # 5 later for the Travis Picking practice!
    I am a Premium member

(oops! after posting and listening back, I think I missed a measure (9) going into the ending?)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by maryjanew.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by maryjanew.
    leb397
    Participant

@Andrew thank you for pointing out the changes/mistakes I made in Etude13! Yikes, I just went back and replayed the whole lesson. Not sure how I missed the sliding on strings between notes… sounds better your way (ha). Appreciate the detail and time you give to critique. Thanks!

PS do you post the link when you pick winner πŸ™‚

Andrew
    Keymaster

@leb397 – My pleasure! I’ll post the winner as a reply here. I only go live for the Kanile’a giveaways πŸ™‚

Andrew
    Keymaster

@tessiert – Playing sounds great, Trace. But I do want to point out that you changed the rhythm to:

1& 2 β€Žβ€Žβ€Ž 3& 4&

My performance was:

1 β€Ž 2& 3& 4&

Both sound great, just pointing it out in case you weren’t aware.

@sarahd
    – Beautiful performance!

@dividedsky
    – Lovely playing, Jane πŸ™‚

@moonshine
    – That was an excellent performance! And your uke has a fantastic tone! I think you’re at the point where you can analyze this performance and target areas to polish. For example, in the first theme watch out for speeding up. Try playing with a click and tapping your foot along. This will help steady the tempo.

Theme 3 is where the bulk of your practice will be. Try the thumb reach around for the first chord. It’s a really tough section to use an alternative fingering.

@maryjanew
    – Great start, MJ! Keep practicing πŸ™‚

Andrew
    Keymaster

Overall we had 50 members participate in this month’s challenge! And guys, I know I sound like a broken record, but it’s so cool to see everyone come together and support each other as a community and to challenge ourselves to get better! Bravo to everyone who participated πŸ™‚

Our September challenge is LIVE and the theme is: Summer Songs! There’s also a very tropical prize for September! You can check out the new challenge here: https://rockclass101.com/september-2022-challenge

So without further ado, the winner of this month’s challenge is **drum-roll**

null

null

null

leb397
    Participant

Congratulations @nelsonlin2021 winning and your beautiful performance!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Congrats, @nelsonlin2021!! Your playing is a beaut and you won a real beaut! 😁

jbmills07
    Participant

Congrats @nelsonlin2021!!

tessiert
    Participant

Congrats @nelsonlin2021!

tessiert
    Participant

Whoops – thanks Andrew! When I listen to it now, it almost sounds like I start out kind of near 1 β€Ž 2& 3& 4&, but slowly and steadily morph to 1& 2 β€Žβ€Žβ€Ž 3& 4&. I knew something was off, but thought it was ‘just’ (i) my slower pace and (ii) some unwanted string noise/fumbling. I really like this tune, and so plan to keep at it – thanks again for the awesome feedback!

Happy September,

Trace

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.