Participate in the December 2019 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE! Win Kanile’a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the December 2019 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE! Win Kanile’a!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 308 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Rock Class 101 Community!

We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #33 AND for the 3rd year in a row, we are teaming up with The Ukulele Kids Club. They are a charity that is doing amazing things! Their mission is to harness the healing power of music by supporting music therapy programs and gifting ukuleles to hospital-based music therapy programs so that children in need can be sent home with the gift of music for life.

Over the last 2 years, our community came together and raised OVER $2,500 USD! Enough to donate 64 ukuleles to children in need! This year, we’re doing it again! Here’s how it will work:

I will be donating $5 for each entry that comes in this month, up to $350. So that means, our participation goal for this month is 70 members.

I also want to go a step further and ask that if you have the means available to please make a donation. Any amount helps, but our community is LARGER and STRONGER than the previous years and I believe we can help bring a smile to A LOT of kids! Our donation goal for this year is to raise $1,500 USD for the charity! That would be enough money to purchase 37 ukuleles at $40 a piece. If you do donate, please let me know! When you submit your audio or video performance, please leave a message saying that you did 🙂 Or, if you wish to remain anonymous, please email me.

You can donate directly on their site: https://theukc.org/donations/. This donation page supports U.S. Hospitals. If you live in Canada, U.K., Japan, Mexico, Puerto Rico, France, Dominican Republic, or Taiwan you can find links to donate to that region in the footer of their website.

Here is a short video which dives deeper into some of the great work The Ukulele Kids Club is doing 🙂

We are teaming up with Kanile’a Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away $1,500 towards Designing Your Own Custom Kanile’a Ukulele!

I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 1,350+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!

Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.

Pick 1 from the following 3 Rock Class 101 Holiday Lessons:

1) Greensleeves * – A timeless melody from the 16th century that has been lyrically adapted many times over, most notably with the Christmas carol, “What Child Is This?”. This arrangement lends itself to being quite versatile, in that it can be fingerpicked using different approaches.

* Taught in its entirety for FREE! (REQUIRES LOW G UKULELE)

2) White Christmas * – This charming fingerstyle arrangement is perfect for the seasoned beginner!

* Taught in its entirety for FREE!

3) “Blue Christmas” by Elvis Presley * – Learn to strum and sing a Christmas classic! This arrangement includes a full band backing track.

* If you choose this one, you must sing it and play the uke solo. Performing to the backing track is optional.

** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **

GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:

1. Beginner to Intermediate Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂

Recommended Piece: Greensleeves OR Blue Christmas

2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.

Recommended Piece: White Christmas

3. Participation Goal: 70 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.

GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:

1A. TO QUALIFY FOR THE GIVEAWAY: Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 3 Holiday pieces anytime between Sunday, December 1st till Monday, December 23rd, 11:59pm EST. Please check your current local time zone. This month will be a hard cut-off. Submittals past the deadline will NOT be counted.

1B. You may continue to submit between December 23rd to December 31st, although your entry WILL NOT count for the giveaway prize. The cutoff for feedback is December 23rd, as our team will be taking the rest of the year off. Furthermore, I will be making our donation to the UKC on December 30th.

The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:

YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel

SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin

2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.

3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.

4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.

5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.

* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.

COMMON FAQs:

1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!

2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.

3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.

4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and paste the video URL in its own line. For example:

YouTube URL

5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE. (ONLY for Base Model K-1 Prize. Continental U.S. Shipping fee will be collected by Kanile’a Ukulele if you choose the Custom Ukulele Prize.)

If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Kanile’a if you choose the Custom Ukulele Prize and Uke Republic if you choose the base K-1 Ukulele Prize. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.

Giveaway Rules:

There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:

First Chance: Participate in our October Challenge: A Somber Halloween!

Second Chance: Participate in our November Challenge: Classic Rock!

Third Chance: Participate in our December Challenge.

Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On December 24th, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! The live stream will be at 12 P.M. EST. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.

Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.

Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize. You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of October and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).

YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.

Grand Prize – CHOOSE ONE:

1) Design Your OWN Custom Kanile’a Ukulele! Includes:

A) $1,500 Towards Designing Your OWN Custom Kanile’a Ukulele (Any Size!)

* NOTE: Selecting this prize will require YOU to cover the cost of the options and features you choose, as well as, shipping and custom & duty fees. You will receive a $1,500 credit towards the final cost of the instrument. Please click the link above and play around with the configurator to gain an idea of what the instrument will cost with all options selected.

But to give you an idea, a base model (K-1) soprano ukulele is $1,422. This includes a $300 custom shop fee over the production model K-1. This leaves you $78 in credit, which will most likely cover shipping. This ukulele will ship direct from Kanile’a and the remaining balance will be collected by them.

The configurator is only set up for tenor sized ukuleles. For pricing for soprano and concert size ukuleles, please call 808-234-2868 and ask for Micah. Tell him I sent you!

null

2) Your Choice of a K-1 Ukulele, ANY SIZE! Includes:

Your Choice of a Kanile’a K-1 Ukulele

A) Kanile’a K-1 Soprano: 

$1,122
    B) Kanile’a K-1 Concert:

$1,227
    C) Kanile’a K-1 Tenor: 

$1,331

* NOTE: This prize is available for those who do not wish to spend additional money on customizing an instrument. You will receive a base model K-1 ukulele in your choice of size. You are responsible for shipping, custom, & duty fees (see FAQ #5 above).

null

null

null

null

UKULELE SPECS

Size: CONCERT
    Body & FacePlate: SOLID HAWAIIAN KOA
    FretBoard & Pin Bridge: ROSEWOOD
    Neck: MAHAGONY
    Head Stock: KANILE’A CROWN
    Nut & Saddle: NUBONE
    Tuning Keys: OPEN GEARED KANILE’A TUNERS
    UV Finish: HIGH GLOSS
    Strings: AQUILA SUPER NYLGUT (HIGH G)
    Other Features: MOTHER OF PEARL INLAY ON FRETBOARD, INCLUDES UKECRAZY HARDSHELL CASE

THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!

Kanile’a: https://www.kanileaukulele.com/

Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/

AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!

nthibode

Hi Andrew, song option 2) (White Christmas) is missing from the list in the description.

nthibode

There it is! 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

@nthibode – fixed! Sorry I messed up the html!

lildevil
    Participant

I am a Ukulele Kids Club Rock Star supporter at a nearby hospital, but will also make a donation for RC101. Will let you know when it’s official.
    I encourage everyone with the means to consider donating to this worthy cause which has a special place in our hearts as ukulele afficionados! Or at the least submit an entry this month to not only have a chance to win a great prize, but to hold Andrew to his donation promise.
    Happy Holidays and happy strumming everyone.

robinboyd
    Participant

Easy choice this month. I know it’s the easy option, but I love the arrangement of Greensleeves.

rickeymike
    Participant

Three great choices. Just because it’s easy doesn’t mean it’s not a great song to learn and play. So I’m with Robin for Greensleeves.

About 10 years ago, I was at Disneyworld on Christmas night waiting for the big parade. There were these roaming carolers all dressed in beautiful Victorian garb. I asked them to sing Greensleeves……they never heard of it…….What? I said do you know “What Child is This?”……..they never heard of it…….Can you believe it? ha.

johanna2509
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

What a gorgeous melody! I love Matt’s all thumb picking arrangements, I really like the tone it produces. I started practicing this song right after the lesson has been published. I am playing on my new tenor ukulele, and I had a lot of difficulties at the start. I tried playing songs I know, but the stretch chords from my muscle memory weren’t that correctly positioned and I needed to adjust that. Do you guys often switch between the different sizes to get used to the minor differences of the frets?
    However, playing those high notes is a lot easier now (also due to the cut away), perfect for this arrangement 🙂
    Another thing that’s annoying me are the pull of noises when switching quickly between chords. It happened some times in the video. I can’t control it, some takes are free of it, but then there are other mistakes.
    It is the first time though I picked the intermediate choice, level up I guess 😀
    I’ll go on to work on Greensleeves now that I have a low G ukulele 😀 It seems to be easy after a few playthroughs.

I am playing for one year now!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by johanna2509.
    lisadmh
    Participant

Ah, I struggling with this one. I hate Christmas songs. Despise them really. But how do you sit out of the biggest giveaway of the year? I wish there were a more genetic song in the mix.

Finger picking 21 is what I think I’ll work on. That’s such a pretty tune. Have fun, folks.

lyndallk
    Participant

Oh Lisa. Those are big feelings. Maybe you can disassociate the tunes from Xmas and play the beautiful tunes that they are.

I’m not a big fan of Xmas songs (not as much as you). But I’m going to do “White Christmas.” Written by Irving Berlin (a wonderful Jewish musician) played in Sydney where we dream of a Xmas without bush fires and played by a Jewish ukulele player (yours truely)

kanae926
    Participant

Greensleeves is a traditional English folk song that was originally written as a love ballad back in the 16th century before it was adapted to a Christmas carol in the 19th century…if that helps you disassociate it from What Child is This.

I’m usually the opposite from most people when it comes to Christmas songs – I don’t care for Christmas itself, but I LOVE Christmas songs (go figure).

apblondie

Oh man. I think it is time for me to get a low G …I’m starting to feel like I am missing out!

becky7777
    Participant

@Andrew – I might try to get a little fancy on Greensleeves with some, probably poorly executed, add-on embellishments. Depends on how long it takes me to memorize. (just might try adding in some things I need to practice.)
    ———
    (Last month’s elvis song is recorded but having problems with the project file. Think I got dynamics in it hopefully.)

becky7777
    Participant

@johanna2509 – Congratulations on your 1 year and your new ukulele!! 👍 Nice playing on White Christmas!!

I mostly just stick with my tenor, it’s my main ukulele. The difference in fret size between my soprano and tenor is awkward for awhile, but it’s not bad once I get warmed up. For me, it took awhile to get my fingers reaching the larger frets. Once that happened, going smaller was not a problem.

Happy ukulele-birthday again!

omaon4
    Participant

@lisadmh
    I feel the same way. I don’t do Christmas. I wish there was at least one non -Christmas song offered. Maybe it is not too late? What do you say, Andrew?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 308 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.