Participate in the December 2019 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE! Win Kanile’a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the December 2019 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE! Win Kanile’a!

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 308 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is everyone on page 17.

jkulele – Bravo, Jason! For one and a half years of playing, I think you’re doing a phenomenal job. Form looks great, timing is great, and you’ve got a good feel/tone in your playing. All I can say is keep doing what you’re doing, it’s working 🙂

becky7777 – I dig the trill and that eq setting is awesome, really adds to the ambience of the piece! You mentioned pauses, and yes, that’s the only thing I’d suggest working on. Keep up the great work. I’m hearing a lot of feeling in your playing; sounding really good 🙂

johnnyquickpants – Here’s my feedback for you 🙂

funtime2018 – Well done! Try an Aquila Low G, it’s what I use and won’t feel like a rubber band, LOL. For your playing, my recommendation is to try a lighter attack with your right hand. Lighter plucking and strumming produces a sweeter, soft tone.

drcathoward

happy holidays!!! (i am a premium member)
    andrew, thank you!!! i have learned so much from rock class 101, and such fun too. here’s my best attempt tonight at greensleeves. wish me luck.
    cat

Andrew
    Keymaster

@drcathoward – Legit, my first thought when you said “I’m gonna try” was, Cat’s gonna kill it. And you did! Well done! The only thing I can say is to try a more gradual ritardando. Keep up the great work 🙂

puppylovesuke
    Participant

I am a premium member

So this is my 3rd song and the first time someone was able to recognize the tune!!! It blows my mind that I can play what is essentially a long game of video “Simon Says” and then somehow an actual song comes out of this tiny instrument (You have to take my word for it…when I’m not recording and make a mistake every strum haha).

I’ve always wanted to play an instrument but never thought I could but this website/instructors made it happen. Definitely the coolest investment I’ve ever made.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all and to all good night!

wongbrown

Thank you very much for your feedback, Andrew. I’ll certainly work on to eliminate the pauses and gaps. Have a wonderful holiday 😊

Andrew
    Keymaster

@puppylovesuke – Excellent performance! Only thing I can say is work on the parts where you paused/stumbled. But great feel and playing overall 🙂

debb1985

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

This is my first post and first challenge! I did my best with the 5 days I had to learn White Christmas since becoming a member. I really love this arrangement. It is fun to play and challenging. It’s needs some work on my part, but I am proud I am participating in my first challenge. I have been playing for 8 months and look forward to pushing myself and learning more in 2020.

chi-_-t
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Merry Christmas everyone! I love Christmas songs and this challenge was a bunch of fun. “What Child is This” is one of my favorites. It’s not quite as smooth as I would like it yet but it’ll get there. Thanks to Andrew for such a spectacular site!

cauer2

Well I’m not sure when all of this is scheduled to be done but I just finished watching everybody, and I have to say…great job everybody. it has been a lot of fun watching all of you play and grow in your playing over the last three months. I have really enjoyed this member challenge Andrew, and I am enjoying the courses a lot. Merry Christmas everybody. I look forward to seeing you guys in the next challenge.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@debb1985 – Here’s my feedback for you. 🙂 And here is the lesson I referenced.

@chi-_-t
    – Well done! I’d recommend dropping your thumb to be slightly above the middle of the neck, instead of hanging above it. Check out this lesson for placement help.

Andrew
    Keymaster

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED THIS MONTH! WE HAD 95 ENTRIES! YOU GUYS ROCK! The challenge will run until Dec 31, but no more entries will count towards the giveaway prize.

I’ll be announcing the winner of the Kanile’a Ukulele tomorrow LIVE at 12 pm EST (Check Your Local Time Zone) on our YouTube channel at this link: https://youtu.be/3lRFgHDlW98

P.S. There may be a bonus trivia entry awarded tomorrow, so def don’t miss the live stream 😉

Here is a list of everyone who participated. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

—-

johanna2509

johanna2509
    deadbuggy
    deadbuggy

podgornik

lyndallk

lyndallk

rickjava

planetfink

planetfink

cauer2

cauer2

golf39

golf39

kirpuff

kirpuff

robinboyd

robinboyd

laurasil

laurasil

brenna

brenna

jedart

suesbarn

suesbarn

nosferatu

nosferatu

surfnrz

surfnrz

nthibode

nthibode

brettboy

brettboy

isabelm

isabelm

joe150

joe150

jpag7242

jpag7242

willymac

willymac

nerdjenni

nerdjenni

holly1

holly1

andrewvh

andrewvh

morrieuke1

morrieuke1

karenj

karenj

jinajupiter

jinajupiter

timolnz

timolnz

oldan_

oldan_

aquatopaz

aquatopaz

armiefox

armiefox

stfesta

rickeymike

rickeymike

turkgoose

turkgoose

dorabr

jonathan_gabel

jonathan_gabel

nosferatu

nosferatu

dal08260

dal08260

ukuleleluke

ukuleleluke

peiching

joannetala

joannetala

mfaske

mfaske

annefgodfrey

annefgodfrey

elixir

elixir

smokealot

smokealot

marygrace

zukulele

zukulele

kellyblackburn

kellyblackburn

ccwuke

ccwuke

barbecueblack

barbecueblack

coffeemug

coffeemug

cyukug

cyukug

k_rall

k_rall

bklynsoul

bklynsoul

fred21

fred21

ealtman

ealtman

gstriph

gstriph

santai

santai

alterin

alterin

raffarooni

raffarooni

russellbarnett

russellbarnett

marama

marama

tiff27

ripley

ripley

Gaby

Gaby

ramon91

lisamcc

lisamcc

iyers408

iyers408

kanae926

kanae926

kelsey91

givingtree89

givingtree89

gardn_gnome

gardn_gnome

unclemymy

unclemymy

apblondie

apblondie

mac1984

mac1984

yellowrosecottag

yellowrosecottag

wongbrown

wongbrown

richo_uke

richo_uke

awiealissa

cyberloh

cyberloh

olemartin

olemartin

stinyuke

stinyuke

ukukelley1

ukukelley1

maryjanew

maryjanew
    jkulele

jkulele

becky7777

becky7777

johnnyquickpants

johnnyquickpants
    funtime2018

funtime2018

drcathoward

drcathoward

puppylovesuke

puppylovesuke

debb1985

debb1985

chi-_-t

chi-_-t

AJ

Here are the entries for page 14

raffarooni – Great playing! Only thing I would work on is the melody when it gets higher on the neck. Be careful not to get fret buzz. Usually that can be caused by your finger placement being too close the fret bar. I find that playing towards the center of the fret with enough pressure will get rid of it!

russellbarnett – Awesome Job! Great tempo and feel through out!

andrewvh – Sounds great! Make sure those melody notes ring out and sound clear. It sounds like the notes are being cut off a little too abruptly in some places. Try slowing it down a little bit and focusing on making those notes sustain longer. Also, your daughter is hilarious!!

marama – This is great! Try adding some more rubato to slow and speed up the pace a little bit. That technique works very well with this piece, and it adds so much more emotion!

tiff27 – Nice!! I like the slower tempo a lot. Really gives it that dark feeling. Great Job!

ripley – Very nice!! Watch out for those extra strings ringing out over the main chords and melody. Practice some string muting techniques with both your fretting and picking hand to help get rid of those annoying strings!

Gaby – I really enjoyed this! Very nice performance of this piece. The tempo and the tone of the notes were both great,

ramon91 – Good job!! I would try to make the melody and chords less abrupt sounding. Let the notes ring out longer and get the transitions with it. Overall, great playing!

lisamcc – Really great job!! nice and clean playing and transitions. I enjoyed listening to it!

iyers408 – Love it! I would recommend slowing it down a little bit and playing with a softer touch. This tune sounds great played lightly. Overall, great job!

johnnyquickpants
    Participant

Wow. Really, what else can I say. Thank you so much for your feedback – some of that was new, and some of it I know and am working on, but to take the time to do that, and so quickly after I posted. I am impressed. Thanks for the challenge, the lessons and the feedback. I’m looking forward to the next one already!

AJ

Here are the entries for Page 15

kanae926 – Great playing!! Very clean sounding barres chords and melody. Loved it!

kelsey91 – Awesome Job! Try strumming a bit lighter for those big strums. It gets a bit louder that the rest of the piece. Also, watch out for those muted notes! I heard a few melody notes get muted by accident, so just make sure your finger is sitting properly on the string and you are pressing down enough. Sounds great!!

givingtree89 – Nice Job! Sounds a tad bit rushed, so take your time with it! Slower is a great thing for this piece, especially the end. Slow it down gradually for that very last measure to give it a more dramatic ending.

gardn_gnome – Great job! I would just pay attention to how you’re plucking the string. It sounds like it’s being plucked a little but too aggressively, so soften up your touch a little bit and that should fix it!!

unclemymy – Loved it!! Sounded a little fast at first, and then you settled into a nice tempo. So just be sure to make everything more or less the same tempo throughout

apblondie – Very great performance! I really enjoyed it, Not much more to say but awesome job!

mac1984 – Sounds great! Keep up the fingerpicking!!

yellowrosecottag – Great performance! Watch out for ringing strings as well as fret buzz. Make sure your finger is properly placed in the fret and that you have enough pressure on the string. Muting techniques for both hands will solve the ringing open strings. Great job overall!

jkulele

@Andrew thanks for the positive feedback. I will keep strumming/picking away!

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 308 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.