Participate in the December 2019 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE! Win Kanile’a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the December 2019 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE! Win Kanile’a!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 308 total)
  • Author
    jpag7242
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER AND DONATED TO THIS WONDERFUL CAUSE.

This is a bit rocky, but is my only chance for submission as I’m leaving my uke behind to go on vacation. I did want to submit something, however.

I’m a beginner (2 months) and tackled this song best I could. Lots of learning left to go. I missed November, but doing my best to get something for December. Thank you.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by jpag7242.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by jpag7242.
    willymac
    Participant

Here’s my entry in the December Challenge.

I am a Premium Member

Andrew
    Keymaster

@nthibode – thank you so kindly for your generous donation 🙂

isabelm – Here is my feedback for you. And here is the lesson I referenced.

joe150 – Here is my feedback for you 🙂

jpag7242 – Here is my feedback for you; And thank you so much for your donation! Please email me with the amount so I can update the tally. And here is the lesson I referenced.

willymac – Here is my feedback for you 🙂

willymac
    Participant

Andrew,
    Thank you for your kind words and suggestions. I’ve been working on adding emotion to my playing, so I’ll defintely try to add those volume swells the songs. I tried earlier but I always mess up the tempo. I’ve been listening to the classical guitarist, Christopher Parkening, and trying to hear how he adds emotion and I think I can hear what he’s doing, but when I try to imitate it I lose the beat or forget the next chords. My New Years resolution is going to be “work on dynamics.” That’s actually why I switched from Blue Christmas to White Christmas. I wanted to work on dynamics and White Christmas seemed a better song for that then Blue Christmas. Thanks for your help with this, I really appreciate it.
    Cheers,
    Brian

joe150
    Participant

I agree that I need to be closer to IPad. Thank for the kind words Andrew , when it straight to get choppy I cannot remember the music . I was thinking maybe playing 8 bars and stop. Play second 8 bars and try to edit the whole song together. This way it all would sound like I played it straight threw. In between takes I could practice the next 8 bars to learn them by memory. what do you think?

Andrew
    Keymaster

@willymac – My pleasure! You could use rubato, that would eliminate tempo worries. And CP is amazing 🙂

@joe150
    – yes, exactly the right way to go about it.

nerdjenni
    Participant

Hello,
    Here’s my White Christmas entry. Thought I would try to sing along for an extra challenge, plus it’s hard to play a christmas carol and NOT sing along 🙂

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

Happy holidays everyone!

Andrew
    Keymaster

nerdjenni – Wonderful job! Sounds great with singing on top 🙂

One thing I’d suggest is to memorize it, that way you can focus completely on your performance. But overall, it was awesome! Keep up the great work!

jedart
    Participant

I think my timing is getting better. I used a pick in this video, what do you think sounds better? There seems to be pros and cons to using the pick.

rickeymike
    Participant

Jed, my personal thought is that the thumb picking gives it a deeper more full bodied sound than the pick.

But the biggest takeaway is that in your second week, you have memorized the piece which allows you to play with better feeling and better rhythm. Well done!

holly1

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi everyone, lots of good submissions already!! And kudos to those of you who can sing too. But that’s not me, so I will give you my go at White Christmas. And I was so touched by what Ukulele Kids Club is doing that it was my joy to donate to them ($40). After spending the last couple of weeks in the hospital with my mom who had major back surgery, I have suffered from Ukulele withdraw, ha ha. So I love the thought of kids getting to enjoy this instrument and add some fun to their time in the hospital. Anyhow, here’s my White Christmas for ya….

Holly

rickeymike
    Participant

Perfection, Holly! Merry Christmas.

becky7777
    Participant

Jedart – Nice performance. I like the sound. It’s different than the finger or thumb sound. (I’d sound crazy trying to describe what it sounds like to me vs. Finger sound. lol)

Experiment and see if it’s something you personally like, and find fun, and use them when you’re in the mood to use picks, or if you think the sound you’re getting from picks would be perfect in some song you’re messing around with.

I use picks sometimes. Different materials sound neat against different string/ukulele combinations. (Woods, metals, plastics, etc.) It’s another nuanced skill i’m personally bad at but it’s fun to mess with.

andrewvh
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
    I’m finding White Christmas surprisingly difficult. Thumb strumming is new for me but definitely sounds better then the back of my index finger for this song. It’s the first challege I’ve played without music, which is quite liberating but my wife has now banned me from playing the song, at least for a little while. So here’s my first go including a messed up ending.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by andrewvh.
    rickeymike
    Participant

Andrew, your confidence is showing. Good going, Merry Christmas.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 308 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.