Participate in the February 2019 Member Challenge – Music Reading Course!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the February 2019 Member Challenge – Music Reading Course!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    planetfink
    Participant

Thanks, Becky. Remember to keep it fun. My recording technique is turn on phone camera, play, then upload to YouTube. Keeping it simple.

lizzieswolf
    Participant

Here is my entry for the challenge. I would have loved to learn Greensleeves or the Bourree. But I don’t have a low G string. So I just decided to learn the other 3. Ode to Joy , Aura Lee, and Scarborough Fair.

holly1

Hi all! Here is my first ever challenge submission. I’m a newbie and went with Ode to Joy. I used my thumb for both strings, I wanted to use the 2/3 or 3/4 for finger picking, but I sounded better with the thumb. Not sure if it really makes a difference when only two strings are involved? I did go through the course as far as my high G would let me. So I hope I have done what is needed for an entry at the very least. I see my future self with a collection of Ukuleles to choose from…. my new addiction. YAY!

(I was happy to watch all your lovely entries. You all inspired me to give it a try! Thanks!)
    Here’s my LINK… I’m hoping I can just drag a link here???

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by holly1.
    annefgodfrey
    Participant

Bouree enthusiasts, check this out.
    Think you will really enjoy.
    I’ve been googling Jethro Tull concerts. Apparently, all over the globe but none near little old Lincolnton, NC.

Best to all!

Andrew
    Keymaster

lyndallk – Brilliant performance! The only critique I have is to watch out on the dotted halfs (bar before melody B and C), as you cut it short.

morrieuke1 – Aww, I love it Mike! That was a perfect performance & your daughter’s ballet moves rock! Thanks so much for the kind words, really means a lot.

On thing I want to point one for those that are watching his performance/reading this feedback, notice how he taps along as he plays. This is such a great thing to do to help keep in time. If you’ve never tried it before, start with the metronome on as you tap along before trying without it.

incywincy – love that you played with the backing track and metronome! Your timing sounds great and your form looks spot on. Keep up the great work!

laurasil – excellent playing! Timing and note clarity sounds great, keep up the great work!

planetfink – Right on, that was awesome! So here’s the thing with speed, it comes in time. But, it sounds like you are really close to being able to play at 100%. The best way to get there, or I should say the most efficient way, is to work it up to speed by building muscle memory and focusing on note clarity. So drop it down to 75 or 80%, start there & focus on those two aspects; before you know it you’ll be at 100%.

annefgodfrey – you are rocking this month! Check out the advice I left above for lyndallk. Those dotted half notes can be tricky and often times we want to rush them. One tip, when you’re practicing, count out the rhythm as you sustain that note. It will help ensure that it lasts the entire length (3 beats).

coffeemug – Glad you are enjoying learning to read. 🙂 So your playing sounds fine, but it was really loose with the timing. One thing that helps is tapping along just like morrieuke1 did. But the best way to ensure that we keep in time is to play alongside the metronome or with the on-screen tab viewer. So that would be my focus for you as you continue throughout the course.

lizzieswolf – Really cool that you did three of the tunes! So let me start by talking about the first two. So your playing sounds great, but one thing that you tend to do is rush the beat. Here’s a video that shows what that means:

The thing with Ode To Joy, is that it’s a song that really is meant to be played on the beat, with the notes sustaining into each other. So what you want to do is go back and play along with the on-screen tab viewer. It will act as a guide and help keep you on the beat.

As far as the last (third) song, keep practicing it. Break it into sections, such as, 4 bars at a time and play along with the tab player. That one is definitely the trickiest out of the three.

holly1 – Thanks for joining the challenge, Holly! Your playing & timing sounds great, so what I would work on is giving the picado technique a shot. It’s super useful and definitely worth the effort to learn. 🙂

wongbrown

Hello Andrew, how can I combine two videos in YouTube for the melody and harmony parts of Scarborough Fair? Do I really need to download an editor app and what will it be? I watched Brettboy did it. Grateful for your or Brettboy’s advice.
    Hope you are having a good time in Thailand. Cheers, Sheila

incywincy
    Participant

Many thanks, Andrew, much appreciated for the feedback and all you do here. Playing with the backing tracks and metronome is super fun and helpful for timing and tuning.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@wongbrown – Mac and PC comes with a free editor (iMovie or Windows Movie Maker). You can use that editor, but will need to google a tutorial on how to do split screen.

nthibode

I really enjoyed this course! I learned so much and not a single tab was used. Here is my recording of Greensleeves. I am starting the unit on Bourrée tomorrow.

wongbrown

Thank you very much Andrew for your reply. I’ll look it up. Cheers, Sheila

stinyuke

Hi everyone!

Here is my submission for this month’s challenge. Thank you Andrew for making this challenge part of the standard notation reading course, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have done it so soon.

I felt very inspired by some participants playing the harmony. Since I put a low G on my old soprano Uke I wanted to give it a try. Even though my soprano doesn’t sound great I’m quite happy with the result. I played “Aura Lee” and actually it took me longer to practice the harmony than the melody 🙈.

So here it is, hope you like it:

Oh and the reason for the knocking on the ukulele at the beginning was to match both videos so that the timing was correct.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by stinyuke.
    nthibode

That was great, @stinyuke! Nice work.

edward
    Participant

Here is my submission for the February Member Challenge.

mannyortiz31

Hi Everyone! Here is my entry to the February Challenge. I am playing Aura Lee and this is my first ever submission. Thank you Andrew! I learned so much from this challenge.

Hope you like it, let me know where I can improve.

Thanks!

rickeymike
    Participant

Good going, Manny and Stiny

Hey Stiny, Looks like you are still in the States. Maybe the Carolinas?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.