February 1, 2022 at 11:22 am #50673
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with site member challenge #59! WOW, there has now been over 3,000+ members participating in our challenges! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 RC101 Lessons:
1) “Crossing Hemispheres” * – Learn a ukulele etude that uses four amazing strumming techniques!
* Taught in its entirety for FREE! But – and it’s a big but – I’d highly recommend that you to go through our Next Level Strumming Course before attempting this tune as it breaks down the mechanics behind performing each of the four techniques.
2) Beginner Blues Strumming * – In this lesson, you’ll learn 2 strumming patterns (one including a chunk) for a 12 Bar Blues in the key of A.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
3) “Daybreak” * – Discover the magic of “open chords” in this strumming etude that’s played entirely with the thumb.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
4) “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” * – This arrangement combines fingerpicking and strumming to recreate the good vibes that The Beach Boys are known for.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: Beginner Blues Strumming
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece (from easier to harder): “Daybreak” (Intermediate), “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” (Intermediate) OR “Crossing Hemispheres” (Advanced)
3. Participation Goal: 40 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 RC101 pieces anytime between Tuesday, February 1st until Monday, February 28th, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and paste the video URL in its own line. For example:
There will be 2 winners, selected by random drawing on Saturday, March 5th. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
1) 1 on 1 Private 60 Minute Skype Lesson with Andrew. We can work on whatever you wish!
2) 1 on 1 Private 60 Minute Skype Lesson with Stephen. We can work on whatever you wish!
Let’s crush this challenge!February 1, 2022 at 11:48 am #50674
Oh my, I think I will attempt, “Crossing Hemispheres”. That song is amazing. Super intimidating but it includes things I want to learn to do so I will give it my best try 🙂
Thanks for these challenges. They really help me to improve different techniques. Off to practice 🙂
Question: can I do Crossing Hemisperes on a Low G uke? Please say yes 🙂
February 1, 2022 at 2:42 pm #50680charles605Member
- This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by gi_gi_.
I’m going to have to pass this month. Going to visit my two grandsons next month so I’ll be learning Old Macdonald’s farm and Itsy bitsy spiderFebruary 1, 2022 at 2:47 pm #50681
@gi_gi_ – I’d recommend high G so you can take advantage of the ghost note strumming technique 🙂February 1, 2022 at 2:55 pm #50682February 1, 2022 at 3:06 pm #50683
Low G is too pronounced in its volume and pitch to create the proper depth characteristic that high G gives.February 1, 2022 at 8:26 pm #50684shmu88Participant
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
Since I filmed myself last week performing Crossing Hemisphere, I’ll use it for this month’s challenge (is that cheating haha?), but i’m looking forward to learn and practice Wouldn’t it be nice!
Happy Challenge everyone
SamFebruary 1, 2022 at 10:36 pm #50686February 2, 2022 at 10:40 am #50689johanna2509Participant
Hi, here is another Crossing Hemispheres. I have already posted it in the Showcase section, so this recording is from 2 weeks ago after I finished the new course.February 3, 2022 at 1:14 pm #50729
@shmu88 – Excellent job on getting the 4 techniques down and the melody! Well done 👏
@johanna2509 – Well played overall! With the ghost note, it sounds a little staccato-y at times. I think your right hand might be touching the G string in-between strums. Try to stay above the strings during the entire up/down motion so that each hit (strum or G) sustains without interruption.February 6, 2022 at 11:58 am #50768henri0Participant
Wouldn’t It Be Nice
Impossible for me to pass by a Beach Boys challenge (mega fan 😅) but do want to press on with the strumming course and Crossing Hemispheres to push me out of the comfort zone. So here’s an earlyish WIBN. Great arrangement, much appreciated.February 6, 2022 at 12:38 pm #50769mikeramsey2Participant
My take on Wouldn’t It Be Nice!February 6, 2022 at 7:40 pm #50773turkgooseParticipant
Here is my submission of Crossing Hemispheres. Totally loved the strumming course! Thank you, Matt! All the strum patterns were so fun and challenging!February 7, 2022 at 1:24 pm #50781
@henri0 – Great performance! The only thing I’d suggest is to use the same strumming motion you did for 26 seconds to 30 for the rest of the tune. Will give it a more natural strum sound then a flick of the index finger.
@mikeramsey2 – Beautiful performance and great job on nailing the playful feel and dynamic change for the last part 🙂
@turkgoose – Melody, technique 1, 2 and 4 sound great! But watch your tempo, try to keep it a bit more steady. For the sweep strum, I want to hear more of the rasgueado burst. So that’s where I would focus your practice at. Overall, well done! Keep up the great work!February 9, 2022 at 7:32 am #50813turkgooseParticipant
Thank you for the feedback, Andrew! Very much appreciated!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.