Participate in the February 2024 Member Challenge – Choose ANY Ukulele Song!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the February 2024 Member Challenge – Choose ANY Ukulele Song!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    annemarie
    Participant

That was terrific!
    What a great sound!

ldarrow
    Participant

This month has been very difficult, I am thankful to have these challenges. Practicing for them bring me joy and are a tremendous stress relief (until I need to record 🙂 ). This month I wanted to play my low G and thought a love song appropriate for February. So I chose the love song from The Godfather. Has some chord transitions that are tough for me and they still need work, but running out of time to record.

terryfallon3
    Participant

Hey everybody, hope you’re enjoying this freeform challenge.

For my tune, I picked Yesterday again.
    Uh, no. Not Groundhog Day. I picked Yesterday. Again.

Last time I tried this beautiful melody I couldn’t handle it.
    Not sure I got it under my fingers this time, but it sure felt better.

brettboy
    Participant

Aloha Uke-Stars!

I chose to take on Andrew’s super cool, tricky and beautiful arrangement of Prince’s When Doves Cry this month. Amazing Song, Super Uke Arrangement, and an Excellent Challenge!
    Thanks RC101 Fam’!

marianne
    Participant

Thanks @The_Bumble_Bard and @leb397 ☺️

marthad
    Participant

I here submit the Aguado Waltz in C. Originally I wanted to learn “Summertime Blues”, but that is clearly beyond my finger power at this moment. An excellent challenge!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

‘Ello, uke friends! 🙂

Here is my entry for this month, Classical Etude written by Andrew Hardel. A very beautiful song; I wanted so much to do it justice, but there are defs a bunch of foibles. Considering, however, that I just finished learning it about two days ago, I am still pretty pleased with how far I came in that amount of time because the approach to playing this is very different from how I’ve played songs before. Like the runs that go up and down that require putting down one finger at a time, as opposed to holding a shape and playing out of that shape (the second approach I’m more used to). Not sure if that makes sense. I did figure out in certain parts that there were ways to play the same notes out of a fixed shape instead, but I wanted to learn it like the lesson taught so I could learn a different approach. Some of the stretches and contortions in this were very, very tricky for me as well. I will continue working on this one; I’m very happy that I was able to finish learning it and come out with an okay take! 🙂

Thank you for these challenges! I love that they motivate me to try new things and I learn so much from them, and have so much fun. Very lovely entries from everyone. Get blessed! 🙂 <3

muzikmama
    Participant

TBB & leb…. Thanks guys. Good on you for challenging yourself with the movements TBB, I do that too. True about the contorting & stretches – making the humble uke harder than piano (to me). The voice filter is from Tiktok – I don’t think it’s made for singing lol. Wolf drawing is by my daughter (painting found online but can’t find it now to credit the artist).
    No worries about the prize. It was cool to learn the song and have fun with it! 🙂
    Loved seeing all the entries in this challenge and to hear the various cool RC arrangements all in the one month.  Well done all. 🎸

ccwuke
    Participant

Hi, some great entries as always this month. @brettboy that was amazing!

Here’s my entry – Ocean Eyes by Billie Eilish

No time to practice or play this month as I’ve started busking with some friends at the local markets which has been great fun, and as it turns out not as scary as I feared, as no one pays much attention to us or for very long:)

denisedistefano
    Participant

Hi Everyone! For this challenge, I decided to work on Andrew’s Fingerpicking Etude No. 24, focusing on hammer-ons, and pull-offs. I have thoroughly enjoyed playing this beautiful piece. My challenge in learning it wasn’t so much learning how hammer-ons and pull-offs work, but in keeping the fingers on both hands from toughing neighboring string, thus muting them. Once I was able to do that consistently, my fingerpicking sounded much more legato. For that, this piece was a great learning tool! I really love these etudes, as you get to work on specific techniques through shorter pieces that are fun to play and sound great. It’s been interesting seeing what everyone chose to work on this month. I’ve made a list of pieces I plan to look up in the lessons to learn, so thanks everyone for the inspiration!

akukes73
    Participant

I couldn’t settle on a song this month and changed my mind so many times (spoilt for choice). I then watched Matt’s really interesting session on ‘why he plays the ukulele’ and that made me start thinking of my own experiences.

When I decided I wanted to play an instrument a few years ago I googled ‘easy instrument to learn for an adult’ and ukulele popped up. I nearly dismissed it out of hand as my knowledge of ukulele was zero and if asked would probably have said it was not a serious instrument. Anyway, I thought I would check it out before dismissing it and next searched some broad ukulele term on YouTube and up popped Andrew @RC101 playing Fur Elise!! I was blown away – I would have never thought a ukulele could sound like that. Finding that video spurred me on to do a bit more research and led to me buying a uke and I have not looked back since!

I’ve tried playing Fur Elsie a few times but it didn’t go so well. So as you may have guessed this month I settled on Fur Elise still a WIP but progressing I hope.

(PS please don’t include me in the draw this month)

gstriph
    Participant

I love the fact that everyone is playing different things. I’ve been gone so I just started this. I love the medley. It still needs a little polishing but here it is – Norweigan Wood:

Jerry

gi_gi_
    Participant

I’m enjoying everyone’s entries esp @denisedistefano Brava!

I dońt know why I picked Moon with a short month and so many things going on this month. I will post what I have learned thus far. I still have to add the vocals 😫 It´s way more difficult than I expected. A good challenge indeed.

@the_bumble_bard
    Nice job. I like your new chair. Maybe it isn’t new but I love the color.

otzepeng
    Participant

Heyho together,

what a great month, i really enjoy the diversity of entries.
    I already had “Always with me” on my to-do-list, so it was not so hard for me to make a final decision.
    For my abilities a strong challenge. 2 weeks ago i struggled and learned “Zeldas Lullaby” also.
    But nevermind, i invested much in Stevens great Arrangement, the month is nearly over and
    i have got to post a thing. My issues are easy to hear and i will still work on this lovely tune.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by otzepeng.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by otzepeng.
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gi_gi_, thaaaank you! The chair is indeed brand new. I just moved this month and that chair was a gift from my parents. I put it together myself; I was pretty proud of that. 😂 I love orange or yellow anything, too. 😊

Really looking forward to hearing your entry, even if it’s just a snippet! 😊

@muzikmama
    , that is true about piano! In some ways it’s definitely easier than uke. I feel like you can do more nuanced “tricks” with the uke. I’ll have to ponder that more though because I also played piano for a long time. 😅 Haha that explains it. I don’t have tiktok. Love her drawing though, very lovely! 😊

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 135 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.